Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

insurance question

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyway to get insurance on a car registered in Quebec for an Ontario driver, to be driven in Ontario.

Not doing this to save on insurance, I already have insurance in Ontario under my own name. Just need insurance for a car that will be constantly driven back and forth between quebec and ontario.

Thanks,

Hadi
Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long

if its registered in quebec get it insured there as well. Its cheaper.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
if its registered in quebec get it insured there as well. Its cheaper.
Just afraid that I would need a quebec address and driver's license
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
JimZYellow
3rd Gear Member

If you're not doing it to save money why don't you just register the car in Ontario? You are allowed to drive to different provinces (and states) without voiding your policy. You do need an address in the province you want to buy insurance.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
sands
3rd Gear Member

You are really making things more complicated then they need to be.
If you're not doing it to save on money, just do things the right, and legal way.

Last edited by sands; 06-24-2009 at 01:15 PM.
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

First of all, I am not trying to do things the illegal way. I am looking for a legal option.

Secondly, I have no choice, the car has to be registered in Montreal under the owner's name. I would need to be added as a second driver. It is not going to be for personal use but for business and it has to be driven back and forth.

Thirdly, I don't care if its cheaper or not. Insuring cost is not an issue, just want it to be done.

I am calling insurance companies in quebec and here, but just wanted to see if anyone on the board has any insight.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
sands
3rd Gear Member

This is getting pathetic.
If the owner is in Montreal, with a car that's registered there, he should get it insured there, no matter where else it gets driven.
/endthread
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
hadesm5
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post
This is getting pathetic.
If the owner is in Montreal, with a car that's registered there, he should get it insured there, no matter where else it gets driven.
/endthread
I don't understand what's bothering you? I am asking a question and you can answer it or not. If it is getting pathetic for you then you may leave this thread and you don't have to answer my questions. It is not your decision to end this thread.

Having said that, the car is already insured under his name, in Montreal. So you have solved nothing. My problem is that I myself need to drive the car as well when it is in Ontario. I need to do it legally, and I'm not sure how I should go about doing so.

Please take the time to read my questions carefully and answer in a polite manner, otherwise I would appreciate it if you don't answer at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
JimZYellow
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
First of all, I am not trying to do things the illegal way. I am looking for a legal option.

Secondly, I have no choice, the car has to be registered in Montreal under the owner's name. I would need to be added as a second driver. It is not going to be for personal use but for business and it has to be driven back and forth.

Thirdly, I don't care if its cheaper or not. Insuring cost is not an issue, just want it to be done.

I am calling insurance companies in quebec and here, but just wanted to see if anyone on the board has any insight.

Thanks
I take it its registered under his personal insurance and not under a business policy then?

The owner would have to add you on as a secondary driver, although because its now changed from personal use to business use, his rate is going to be higher I think. Best thing to do is have him call his insurance company to find out.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
OR you can just not put yourself as secondary at all. It's his car, it's insured, it's perfectly legal for you him to "lend" you the car.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
sands
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadesm5 View Post
I don't understand what's bothering you? I am asking a question and you can answer it or not. If it is getting pathetic for you then you may leave this thread and you don't have to answer my questions. It is not your decision to end this thread.

Having said that, the car is already insured under his name, in Montreal. So you have solved nothing. My problem is that I myself need to drive the car as well when it is in Ontario. I need to do it legally, and I'm not sure how I should go about doing so.

Please take the time to read my questions carefully and answer in a polite manner, otherwise I would appreciate it if you don't answer at all.
Wow.
You just don't realize you're making a problem out of nothing?! As the above poster stated as well, there is nothing illegal about driving a car insured in another province, given the fact that the owner lives there and has everything under his name there.
You simply lack common sense and are making a fuss and big deal out of nothing.
You are complicating something that really isn't a problem to begin with.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Boots R
Boots, not boost

you need quebec insurance
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
JimZYellow
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands View Post
Wow.
You just don't realize you're making a problem out of nothing?! As the above poster stated as well, there is nothing illegal about driving a car insured in another province, given the fact that the owner lives there and has everything under his name there.
You simply lack common sense and are making a fuss and big deal out of nothing.
You are complicating something that really isn't a problem to begin with.
It is perfectly legal IF he were borrowing the car once in awhile for non-business purposes. As he mentioned, the car will be back and forth constantly and for business use, this would void the owner's personal coverage and is grounds to deny any claim if one should arise.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
sands
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZYellow View Post
It is perfectly legal IF he were borrowing the car once in awhile for non-business purposes. As he mentioned, the car will be back and forth constantly and for business use, this would void the owner's personal coverage and is grounds to deny any claim if one should arise.
Yes, and you already answered that by saying it should be under business, not personal.
Again, making a big deal out of nothing.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZYellow View Post
I agree with you there, but he would be in just as much "trouble" if the car is insured for personal use but with him as occasional driver (which is what he seems to want to do, as I gather from this thread, as he mentioned nothing about switching the insurance to business or the fact that it's already like that) since it's being used for business..

So there is no point to him trying to get on there as occasional driver since it's still not going to be technically 100% legit.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: