Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

A new sound courtesy of BMW

So my car decided yesterday to start making a new noise. Eff my life!

I swore it was coming from the rear of the car; but after a little more investigative driving I'm not sure where the hell it's coming from. I know it's on the passenger side, but that's it.

On heavy turning (ie: changing roads) it shows up the best. After making the corner & starting to accelerate; about 3-5 seconds later; there is this huge THUD; sometimes followed by a couple smaller thumps. You can feel it through the whole body of the car!! At first I thought it was maybe the rear subframe; but I've jacked the car up & didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then I thought maybe I was dragging something & it was catching on cracks in the road; but that's not the case either.

So now i'm kinda stumped! I've decided it's better not to drive the POS anymore until I can find out a little more of what is going on. I don't want to have a wheel or something come flying off; and cause even more damage.

I'm gonna get the car into the garage & up on stands with the wheels off & see if I can find anything; and was just wondering if anyone might have experienced something like this before & could reccomend a place to start looking???

Any help is greatly appreciated!

'95 325is - //M Body - Shark Injected - Sport Pkg - Depo's with HID's
Lower_Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

well I took it for another drive; and really tried working the suspension & taking some very uneven roads. The car doesn't make any odd sounds while travelling the suspension. it only seems to do it after take off from a stop; at around 40 km/h.

Now i"m stumped! Still gonna take the wheels off & try to check everything out. Wondering if it's maybe drivetrain related?

Anyone with any ideas?

Old 06-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
ultimateX5
Ally04

sounds like drivetrain...mines doing the same thing...drop it in seconds..n sounds like somethings hitting the body or something...turns out its my hanger...check it out..
10 dodge ram
03 acura mdx
94 dodge ram cummins
00 ford f350
00 dodge dakota
87 e30 325is Mtech
97 e36 328is Mtech'd
98 e39 540iMtech
ultimateX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
zimzimmma
6th Gear Member

check the rubber flange that goes between the driveshaft.. that could be all in peices..could also be studs on the drive shaft.. check them all.. might be the studs are broken on the driveshaft to the differential.

did you also make sure the rear shock mounts are good? these are known to cause a lot of damage and sounds.
zimzimmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Lower_Level
No-Budget Enthusiast

i checked the driveshaft & all pretty thoroughly today. Flexdisk is intact; couple small cracks starting, but still solid. No play in the driveshaft itself either.

Checked out all springs; none broken. Rear subframe shows no signs of distress; and nowhere on the underside of the car is there marks that something's hitting.

Only thing I found wrong was the right rear emergency brake. When I was turning the wheel looking for play in the drivetrain, I could hear this metallic grinding. Sounded like something stuck in the backing plate. When I pulled the wheel off & took the brakes off; I had a nightmare of a time pulling the rotor off. Shouldn't have been an issue cause I just did the brakes a month or so ago; and everything came apart fine. But this time as I was wiggling the rotor off the e-brake pads; there were little bits of metal falling out. Once I finally got everything apart I found that the bits of metal were the springs & pins that hold the shoes on!!!

I've already got the parts on order & should be here tomorrow. Is it possible that this was causing the noise?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: