Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Why GT-R is so fast - the answer is here.

http://www.gtrcenter.net/?p=2673 4 pages

What do you think?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
5thseries
biggerthen3

Frg.. to lazy. can you just tell us? lol
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
344i
5th Gear Member

I do not disagree with the article, but the styling does nothing for me.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

It's bullshit. I don't know what ATTESA is or whatever the hell they call it, but it's not a CVT transmission so it needs to go through the revs just like everyone else. And even if the GTR is magically always developing it's earth shattering 400 ft lbs of torque, if the ZR1 is kept in the power band... or um, anywhere over say 3000 rpm, it will be developing a shit load more than 400 ft lbs.

It weighs way more, has way less traction, way weaker brakes and less peak power and peak torque than the ZR1 has at 3000 rpm. He harps on about physics, well I bet I'm better educated in the subject than the author and I'm calling flat out ****ing bullshit. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I can calmly raise the BS flag and say that the cars that do demo laps are tweaked. Hell, they already dyno at 420 awhp, which by any stretch of the drivetrain loss estimate, is well over 500hp, but how hard is it, for a car so geeked out with electronics, to have an absolutely trivial way to jack up the boost for 700+hp? Hell they could do it with a guy sitting in the pit with a laptop over RF.

Here's a ZR1 dyno plot btw. Unless the demo laps done in the ZR1 are done with the engine at idle to like 1500rpm, it develops more power and torque than the GTR possibly can period... or is supposed to anyway. Combine that with massive disadvantage in every other category except perhaps an extra 2wd, and you need God to miracle that shit around the track faster.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It's bullshit. I don't know what ATTESA is or whatever the hell they call it, but it's not a CVT transmission so it needs to go through the revs just like everyone else. And even if the GTR is magically always developing it's earth shattering 400 ft lbs of torque, if the ZR1 is kept in the power band... or um, anywhere over say 3000 rpm, it will be developing a shit load more than 400 ft lbs.

It weighs way more, has way less traction, way weaker brakes and less peak power and peak torque than the ZR1 has at 3000 rpm. He harps on about physics, well I bet I'm better educated in the subject than the author and I'm calling flat out ****ing bullshit. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I can calmly raise the BS flag and say that the cars that do demo laps are tweaked. Hell, they already dyno at 420 awhp, which by any stretch of the drivetrain loss estimate, is well over 500hp, but how hard is it, for a car so geeked out with electronics, to have an absolutely trivial way to jack up the boost for 700+hp? Hell they could do it with a guy sitting in the pit with a laptop over RF.

Here's a ZR1 dyno plot btw. Unless the demo laps done in the ZR1 are done with the engine at idle to like 1500rpm, it develops more power and torque than the GTR possibly can period... or is supposed to anyway. Combine that with massive disadvantage in every other category except perhaps an extra 2wd, and you need God to miracle that shit around the track faster.

ATTESSA is the smartest AWD systems in the world its like Chuck Norris, and there's no CVT tranny its a th ebest in the world DSG.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
so basically (if i got this right) that guy is saying that the gtr is the best. right?

even though he thinks that, theres no way i'd buy an ugly car. and there's no way a heavier, less powerful car is faster than a lighter and more powerful car. rwd, awd, ya theres a difference but come on. its like saying a rally car is faster than a gt car (think leman vette)

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:

You might be misinterpreting the article, but I'm not sure...

I think what he's saying is that the GT-R is able to actually use the power much more often than the ZR1 (for example), making it faster around the track. The theory is that a GT-R can go WOT around a corner where a ZR1 can not. The ZR1 may have more power, but it can't use that power in the same way. A dyno graph isn't going to prove anything... that's a completely controlled environment and doens't take into account handling.

So where with a normal supercar like the ZR1 you have to let off into a corner, make the turn, and then gradually add throttle as you come out the exit... a GT-R can handle itself if you dip into the power much sooner, and it will push through the turn, not try to hold onto it.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
You might be misinterpreting the article, but I'm not sure...

I think what he's saying is that the GT-R is able to actually use the power much more often than the ZR1 (for example), making it faster around the track. The theory is that a GT-R can go WOT around a corner where a ZR1 can not. The ZR1 may have more power, but it can't use that power in the same way. A dyno graph isn't going to prove anything... that's a completely controlled environment and doens't take into account handling.

So where with a normal supercar like the ZR1 you have to let off into a corner, make the turn, and then gradually add throttle as you come out the exit... a GT-R can handle itself if you dip into the power much sooner, and it will push through the turn, not try to hold onto it.
Oh so in the GTR you keep it floored turning into a corner? Don't be silly. The dyno graph proves everything you need. He claims that the secret to the GTR's performance is not cheating but that the ZR1 is not at max power as often as the GTR. Well the dyno graph shows that even when the ZR1 is not at the max, it develops MORE torque (which he emphasizes specifically) than the GTR does at the max (again, using their claimed power figures). Add to that better brakes, less weight to decelerate, accelerate and hold in a turn, more tire to generate those forces and you get a big steamy pile of BS.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml

top gear list of power laps

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
The ZR1 gets owned
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
The ZR1 gets owned
how did it get owned? it's not even on the list

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
The ZR1 gets owned
sense, none made here.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Quote:
Oh so in the GTR you keep it floored turning into a corner? Don't be silly. The dyno graph proves everything you need. He claims that the secret to the GTR's performance is not cheating but that the ZR1 is not at max power as often as the GTR. Well the dyno graph shows that even when the ZR1 is not at the max, it develops MORE torque (which he emphasizes specifically) than the GTR does at the max (again, using their claimed power figures). Add to that better brakes, less weight to decelerate, accelerate and hold in a turn, more tire to generate those forces and you get a big steamy pile of BS.
Zr1 has more torque but if you cant use it out of the corner its useless where GTR you can mash a gas pedal mid corner and smart awd will apply the power down for you.

And for those who couldn't explain why the CCX was slower than weaker competitors on the 'Ring, Basseng (and Maserati) made it clear. In summary: even though the CCX had 900 hp, it couldn't deploy it effectively on anywhere but the straight. On Doettinger Hoehe, it was 8.4 mph (13.5 kph) faster than the Zonda, yet its lap time was nearly 9 seconds slower; the Zonda doesn't "hang with" the CCX on a straight, yet it laps almost 9 seconds faster. It doesn't have to "hang with" the CCX on the straight.
The CCX's chassis and aero package weren't developed well enough, so the net result was that any extra power it had over competitors was effectively squandered. Useable power is much more relevant to circuit times than headline "peak" power figures. And thus the car with the lowest power/wt (MC12) in that group was able to set the fastest time.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Ask any pro drivers or engineer and they'll tell you that it's the balance of the car that equates to a fast car on the track and that no individual strength of the car overpowers the other strengths. They all work in harmony complementing each other as a whole package.

Like in sports, a team of champions is never as good as a champion team.

If you think about it, the best sports superstars are the ones who are complete and are well 'balanced'. Michael Jordan was never the best at one particular aspect of basketball, but he was very good at all of them - making him 'balanced'
Federer likewise, does not have the fastest serve, best forehand, best volley etc - but he is very good at all of those. Put all of those traits together in one package and you get the best 'balanced' and arguably the best tennis player ever.

And whoever says its UGLY go see it in person, I think its one of the most beutifull cars out there.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

and remember when first they did 7:38 and everyone was saying its wasnt possible, later sports auto only run 7:50ish, well now sports auto did 7:38 .

article in German here
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31428

I never questioned that car after watching a documentary. It is a legend, so much innovation went into that car, now did they run 7:26? I firmly belive so. is it possible they cheat by providing more boost? Sure it might've but it would still take hell of a car dynamic to go that fast.

People are just in denial.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: