Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #16
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I thought E test were good for 6 months for ownership change?? what year is it, isn't 88 and older done with e-tests?

edit - 87 and older no e test required just checked

Last edited by richie_s999; 06-19-2009 at 01:02 AM.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

How long is the pass report valid for?
A Drive Clean pass certificate is valid for 12 months from its date of issue. During that time the registration can be renewed and ownership can be transferred. It must still be valid on the registration expiry date, or for late renewals or vehicle transfers, it must be valid on the date of transaction.

this is copied from the minisrty web site - http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/ldv_faq.php

if there was a valid test done in the last 12 months you could use it to transpher ownership
Old 06-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #18
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

yes but the stupid MTO system doesn't have record of it anymore... they did two weeks ago though.. it's a long story.. i had to transfer and transfer and again to the wife for insurance purposes... and big blue box says etest required!
BMWnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Gas fumes, I would check the gas lines, change the fuel filter at the same time. You'll want to get new hose and hose clamps, I'd get BMW hose clamps, they last much longer than anything else I've bought. It could be possible that something is up with the valve leading to the charcoal canister.

A vacuum leak wouldn't smell like gas. All the fuel lines run on the left hand side, with the car off, the hose should be pliable, if it's hard replace it, hard hoses get small fractures that leak.

Did you run it really good down the highway for 20 minutes before the test? There are additives and other tricks as well. I don't know the details, I have an 87!

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnoob View Post
yes but the stupid MTO system doesn't have record of it anymore... they did two weeks ago though.. it's a long story.. i had to transfer and transfer and again to the wife for insurance purposes... and big blue box says etest required!

something's fishy with that you can check your self with the vin number at the drive clean web site
Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #21
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
something's fishy with that you can check your self with the vin number at the drive clean web site
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! i called drive clean.. they said must have been a system glitch and are reprinting the etest and mailing to me... i wouldn't have to do another etest till 2011
Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! i called drive clean.. they said must have been a system glitch and are reprinting the etest and mailing to me... i wouldn't have to do another etest till 2011

Now get it ready and come meet everyone at the E30 cruise on the 28th!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post

Now get it ready and come meet everyone at the E30 cruise on the 28th!!!!
As soon as I learn how to drive it lol I'm getting there but the wife still
needs some practice
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
Magical24
2nd Gear Member

i just bought an 89 325 does it qualify as a classic and i dont need an etest or am i going to have to etest it and saftey test it to transfer the ownership of the car into my name if anyone has any info on this just send me a pm

thanks
magic
Magical24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Did you read the first post on this page?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
grrrr got an etest letter in the mail.. because of my multiple ownership transfers.. (IE to wifey) need to do another etest... and probably gonna fail again..

pops just called and yep it failed again.. same thing

HC PPM 200/ 600's FAILED

should i just start throwing parts at it??? cause they want $145 to do an inspection...

Last edited by BMWnoob; 08-20-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

What have you already done? I would change the oil and run a can of seafoam through it, then try again before doing any parts.

And try a different etest place; some are "better" than others it seems.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

my e30 failed HC the other day...miserably.

HC = hydrocarbons = UNBURNED FUEL!!!

basically what i did was take off the the intake boot, and the idle control valve.
got rubbing alcohol and cleaned all the gunk and mumbo jumbo out of it, but use a Qtip for the ICV.

went back the next day....passed amazingly! the etest took 20 seconds i thought i failed, but it was so good its like **** it you pass.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #29
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
What have you already done? I would change the oil and run a can of seafoam through it, then try again before doing any parts.

And try a different etest place; some are "better" than others it seems.
seafoam is that the same stuff as redline? where do i buy it? canadian tire? haven't really done anything just told my dad to take it in and try again.. it's still parked at his house lol and wifey only drives it on weekends...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #30
BMWnoob
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
my e30 failed HC the other day...miserably.

HC = hydrocarbons = UNBURNED FUEL!!!

basically what i did was take off the the intake boot, and the idle control valve.
got rubbing alcohol and cleaned all the gunk and mumbo jumbo out of it, but use a Qtip for the ICV.

went back the next day....passed amazingly! the etest took 20 seconds i thought i failed, but it was so good its like **** it you pass.
ok can a person like me do this.. i only know how to pop the hood and check oil lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: