Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
If alcohol was available in grocery stores there would probably be less incidents. Many countries in EU do it this way and there's much less underage drinking because alcohol is available in more places (I guess it's always more exciting when it's forbidden), same goes for tobacco.
right on Redster.I lived in New York for a few months and every corner store I went into that sold wine and beer was clean,safe.Buying beer is llike buying a pop in these stores,the staff carded people they felt was underaged and if they sold to underaged buyers its was automatic suspension.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
sirex
King Sirex

The big companies, Molsons, Labatts, etc, dont have the logistics or the trasnportation currently in Ontario to meet the demands of small business. So the big companies are against this because really they would have to down grade their fleet.

Currently what they do is deliver to Beer Stores and Beer Store warehouses in which they are capable of handling the larger trucks.

Beer Store and LCBO would still exist, but they would be the ones shipping to the grocery stores. So Beer Store will still make money, and so will LCBO, and so the crying about "clerks" and "union workers" will never go away. Instead they will be the behind the scenes middlemen, and instead of paying 24.50$ for a 12 pack of heineken, youll pay 25.50 because the Grocery store and Gas station will want to make Some profit.

Last edited by sirex; 06-18-2009 at 12:50 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #18
davis_14
2nd Gear Member

^ I'd be happy to pay an extra couple bucks if it were available in other stores. When I was in Miami acouple weeks ago, it was absolutely awesome just being able to pick up some groceries and liqour in one spot.
I don't see much of a difference between a cashier at the LC and a cashier at loblaws. Whats so special about that?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
sirex
King Sirex

Youd be happy to spend an extra buck, but about 5 million others wouldn't be. Enough people bitch about 5 cent price hikes.

Last edited by sirex; 06-18-2009 at 03:39 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
how the hell are you comparing drugs to wine?...Yes I deal with the public so before saying that EVERYONE coming into a store is wasted maybe you should take a look at most cities that has wine and beer at the corner store,it works if regulated.The store have a choice of carrying the wine/beer,like stores have the choice to sell smokes."single location" to sell items,sounds like a monopoly to me.
regardless of what you may think, alcohol is a drug. You have just been made to belive that it's socially accepted and not a "Drug".

The only way I could ever agree with alcohol being sold in private stores is to be sold how cigs are sold now, out of sight and need to be asked for or stores that only sell alcohol and nothing else and only to a certain time .

Another problem with groecery stores selling alcohol is you need to always have someone available who is legaly allowed to sell the product.

Last edited by 325isdan; 06-18-2009 at 04:08 PM.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble65 View Post
Try over 50% for alcohol tax.
Source?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
sirex
King Sirex

well, dont really need a source when Beer in the US costs 12$ for a 12 pack - of imported shit I might add.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 View Post
Source?

for alcohol the equation is

$11.066 per liter of pure alcohol + $28.58 (+gst) in Provincial liqour mark up fee and then your GSt + Pst on top.

I think I might be forgetting one other value.

this is the equation my Customs teacher told us. You can find all this on Canada Customs website.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
for alcohol the equation is

$11.066 per liter of pure alcohol + $28.58 (+gst) in Provincial liqour mark up fee and then your GSt + Pst on top.

I think I might be forgetting one other value.

this is the equation my Customs teacher told us. You can find all this on Canada Customs website.
yeah I guess thats approximately right because you can buy 95% alcohol at the LCBO, $24.20 for 500mL so thats $48.40/L.
So ($11.066 + $28.58) x 12% PST/OST charged on alcohol sold by the LCBO is about $45/L
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #25
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
Youd be happy to spend an extra buck, but about 5 million others wouldn't be. Enough people bitch about 5 cent price hikes.
you know what 5 millions are thinking?...You spend $3 worth gas to go to the nearest LCBO but you wont pay a extra $1 to walk to the corner store?...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
sirex
King Sirex

really, 3$ on gas? Are you traveling 20-30 km to get to an LCBO beer store?

also, there is a mandate in place that keeps Beer prices and liqour prices being sold at LCBOs and Beer Stores at a set price throughout ontario. Im pretty sure if these companies were dismantled, you would pay a premium for places further north/ in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #27
daytona
6th Gear Member

sorry I dont live in the heart of wine country so I must travel a distance to buy booze.Why cant each store order or even pick up at a main warehouse,why do you actual need a transportation hub for wine/beer?.There is over 12,000 grocery,gas stations and small retail outlets in the GTA,dont you think with that buying power the wine/beer companies would offer a better discount than the 400 odd stores LCBO runs?.The main grocery chains distributions is so much more efficient than the LCBO design that they can modify the shipping of wine/beer with ease.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #28
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_M5 View Post
Source?
Bottle of CC or Napoleon brandy that I bought for my father at the duty free shop at border crossing is almost 1/2 the price. Reason being you don't pay any tax.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
umm no I am not a union member.. and by the sounds of it you have never had to work in a situation with drunks and late nights by your self in a store.

Theft will go up no doubt in my mind if they ever did that.

and "drugs" should not be sold in joe blows store it needs to be sold in single locations. Going through the states and seeing alcohol in gas stations is messed up in my mind.
LOL you can't be serious, saying it's messed up to see beer in gas stations? You realize it's like that pretty much everywhere else in the world except here, right?

That's the ****ed up thing with Canadian views on booze, you're a perfect representative for them. You see it is as a drug, to get ****ed up on and that's it, but go get out of Canada and see how it's seen in other cultures. A lot of people have a glass or two of wine with dinner, or a beer or 2 after they get home from work. People don't drink to be come smashed and wasted all the time. For them it's just another beverege to put in their cart at the grocery stores, no big deal. For YOU it's "OMG, that guy is buying beer what a drunk he's gonna go home and chug it all and puke everywhere".

I hate this country's view on booze, how drinking is seen as such a bad thing. Like that you can't drink in public. God forbid someone drink a beer when they're hanging out in a park with their friends. NOooooooooooo, it would be oh so horrible we have to do this horrible activity ONLY in our homes, because if someone sees you drinking a beer in the street, shit will go down.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #30
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

have you guys ever wanted to get a case of beer on sunday afternoon, then saying to your self...

Shit its 5 o clock already i cant drink today.

"OMG, that guy is buying beer what a drunk he's gonna go home and chug it all and puke everywhere". lol

Last edited by ericdalinda; 06-19-2009 at 12:00 PM.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: