Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

95 325i Steering wheel clicks and locks slightly while driving.

Long story short I am baffled and looking to solve this issue asap as it concerns me and my safety.

My 95 325i has on occasional made a strange clicking sound when turning or even just light lane changes ( click comes clearly from the column behind the wheel ), it also locks slightly which scared me again today as I was traveling at a decent clip on the QEW when going to change a lane, turned slightly and LOCK!. Let off and shook it lose. Any way it came and went over the last while but seems to be a steady problem now In gfact I can now when driving shake the wheel left to right quickly and hear click click lick.

Not sure what to look for, someone mentioned a there was a " lock up " mechanism to change/grind down or clean ?

Any thoughts or experience, thanks.
Blackedout95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Skeezix
2nd Gear Member

There's a bearing for the steering column up against the firewall, spray it with some lube. You have to get it from underneath the car, and it's hard to see, and don't get any spray in your eye.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Thanks , Ill try, car goes in next week for a day. needs brakes and non locking up steering wheel lol

Many possibilities but that would be a nice one
Blackedout95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
MANDD
Autobahn East

I assume that you have a drivers airbag? If so then it is more than likely the clock spring.

Has the steering wheel been removed previously? The part number for this part is 32 34 1 162 111 it is around $240/250 at the dealer.

You should have it checked to verify operation, one of the sponsors may have a decent used unit for less money.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
statik
1st Gear Newbie

I've been going through hell with my steering system. What your describing does sound like the clock spring. Its probably cheaper to buy a used steering wheel (with clock spring attached), I picked one up for $60. There is another possibility; in the engine bay there is a universal joint on the steering column. Its fairly high up (near the firewall). Mine has siezed twice, I was able to free it up enough using spray lube, but know it has play (rotationally) so I'll be needing to replace it.

I have also has problems with steering wheel squeaking, I lubed every point along the steering column and changed the upper steering column bearing, but it was the clock spring.

Good luck,

S

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: