Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #16
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I'm finally done. Let me first say that lifting the rear diff (anybody know what a LSD diff weighs?) on my back and jackstands was NOT FUN!!!!

After everything was put back together I went out for my first LONG drive yesterday. Car is phenomenal and very tight. I completely forgot to get before pictures but I tried to have the car aligned and the alignment shop told me nearly 2.8 deg neg on the passenger and 1.1 or so neg on the drivers. It was obvious and actually pretty silly looking from the rear when you looked at the car from the back end. After the work I'm dead nuts even on both sides.

Some interesting notes when doing this project. The only work I didn't do was push out the axle carrier bushings and the diff bushing. The shop the did those three said it took them 2 hours of torch, hacksaw and press. They definitely earned the $100 to do this.

Make sure to clean out the receiving hole in the body where the axle carrier bushing goes into. I took my old bushing which still had a proper rod still attached (one broke) and cleaned it and used it as the template for how easily it went into the receiving hole. I used sandpaper to clean it.

Getting the diff up even 18" was a HUGE pain with its weight and odd size. I owe my wife big time for getting greasy with me helping.

Nearly all the bolts that go back have to be replaced as they are all lock nuts. To do a final torque of the control arm bushing bolts I put a jack under each control arm for the final torque and let the body rest to simulate ride height.

Have fun with the dumba$$ sway bar end links in the rear. They push in and are a major PITA to squeeze the sway bar through the small rubber opening (even when greased). Again with suspension loaded I tightened the lower nut for the end link.

... so here are the pix. (control arm bushings from AKGmotorsports and worked awesome)
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

85 325e M5
Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Now for the best test of all!

Shannonville next weekend and Mt. Tremblant for two days end of Aug!

(.... but first to fix that heater core which let go last night.... )
85 325e M5
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

All you need for the diff is a floor Jack and it becomes a one man job, I wouldn't ever try lifting one into place.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
2 hours to change the diff and subframe bushings......OFF the car? I don't know thats kinda long..If you really wanted you could of changed each side in that time. But it's all good..It's done!

I reallllly wanna make some to make some track days either this or next month, hopefully I'll see you out there!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #21
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
All you need for the diff is a floor Jack and it becomes a one man job, I wouldn't ever try lifting one into place.
The problem with jacking it up with a floor jack is that mine didn't have the height necessary. I then tried to balance it with two pieces of wood and got the height but you can imagine what happened next.

I'm going to have to invest in one of those super long super high reach jacks.
85 325e M5
Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #22
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

holy shit think you should look into that exhaust pipe for the next project...how many times did the prevous owners weld new peices???? WOW...anyway glad to here you got all that done, I am so not looking forward to a full suspension bushing redo next spring, but am sure the cars handling alot better now!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #23
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

If you're looking for a great track day come out to the Trillium event on the 23rd of August Sunday. There are going to be literally a tonne of e30's out. Not that it's limited to e30's but lots are going to be there.
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #24
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dble Trouble View Post
If you're looking for a great track day come out to the Trillium event on the 23rd of August Sunday. There are going to be literally a tonne of e30's out. Not that it's limited to e30's but lots are going to be there.
Already talked to Cam, you'll meet him on the 9th, he's away instructing at the track in Quebec that weekend
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #25
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

That sucks. ^^ See you on the 9th. Hey Rich my wife is coming too, so Lori better be there!
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: