Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Holy rear suspension disassembly batman

I've spend two weeks slowly working at this. Holy crap I'm glad I didn't take this car to a shop to get this done.

(85 325e with 320,000 kms - no rust)

Some interesting notes... how the heck do I get the driveshaft out of the wheel bearing? Is there a snap ring I am missing?

The diff to axle carrier bolts weren't as hard when you have a 1ft box wrench then add another to the end of it for leverage. Neither were the bolts to the RCAs.

Now the complete PITA was the axle carrier to body mounting. The one side literally snapped off and left part of the locating pin in the body (that was fun drilling out). The other side wouldn't move at all. I had to literally swing the axle all the way around the parallel the opposite side of the car until it popped and dropped out.

So... here were are. After a lot of reading I'm going stock RCA bushings (not the escentric) and stock axle carrier mounts.

Enjoy the pix!!!

85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

There's apparently a special tool, but my solution has been to get a centre punch in the centre drill on the half shafts and pound away. The halfshafts came out very easily on my 1987 325i, but on my 1986 325e parts car, I mushroomed the centre punch a bit. Regardless, all 4 came out fine and that was using a wimpy 8 oz. hammer.
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Good work, id put in some poly bushings at least in the subframe so you wont have to deal with that nightmare again...When I undo the 22mm nuts and punch out the pins my subframe literally pops free from the body, even after a year of inital install

Last edited by e30_kid89; 06-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Yep, the rear subframe is a bitch to get out. The aluminum oxidizes itself to the body. I had the same thing happen.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
guibo
2nd Gear Member

was the no rust comment sarcastic?
guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

i have been putting off doing mine for over a year now.

I ordered all the parts, I even have a spare sub-frame and trailing arms. I planned to re-do the entire rear end......but the parts are still sitting in my closet.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

Nah.. the car has literally no rust on it. I made that comment to validate the work involved.
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
guibo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.ZED View Post
Nah.. the car has literally no rust on it. I made that comment to validate the work involved.
all i see is rust in your pics
Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by guibo View Post
It's pretty near impossible to have a 24 year old car with absolutely 100% zero rust on the under body. For its age its in good shape.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

Its an 85 bro (That spent most of its life in Atlanta), that's nothing. Being the previous owner I take offense to that lol.

If you want to split hairs, there is not ROT on that car.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Boxer2
The OPP loves my M5

in order to take the driveshaft out of the wheel bearing you have to first remove the dust cap, then take off the 30mm nut with an impact wrench, than you can use an air hammer with a pointy bit that fits into the recessed area on the end of the shaft, and drive it out, it should come out really easy...but this really isn't necessary to remove it for the job your doing, I would just leave it in, it will save you some time when you start putting things back together....I've done subframe bushing several times on E30's, and I must say it's so much fun, I love it.

My Garage:
1986 328is (M20 Stroker)
1986 535i (5sp all original)
1990 325iX (Mint 5sp all original)
1989 325iX (Winter auto X car)
1991 M5
1988 M6
2001 740i (Supercharged)
2004 X5 3.0i (The DD)
Boxer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
guibo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
Are you kidding me?

Its an 85 bro (That spent most of its life in Atlanta), that's nothing. Being the previous owner I take offense to that lol.

If you want to split hairs, there is not ROT on that car.
well i take offense to people who say that their car is 'rust-free' when it really isnt. how many cars on sale say 'rust-free, 100% no rust anywhere' and then you go see the car and realise it was a big ****in waste of time.

rust free is rust free. NO ****IN RUST. i just spent the entire winter and now summer removing rust from a 'rust-free' e30. you can say, no visible body rust with normal underbody rust for an 85. fine, thats acceptable.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
well i take offense to people who say that their car is 'rust-free' when it really isnt. how many cars on sale say 'rust-free, 100% no rust anywhere' and then you go see the car and realise it was a big ****in waste of time.

rust free is rust free. NO ****IN RUST. i just spent the entire winter and now summer removing rust from a 'rust-free' e30. you can say, no visible body rust with normal underbody rust for an 85. fine, thats acceptable.
Sorry Dave, but I have to agree with this man here ^^ He hit the nail right on the head. I too hate it when people say no rust, rust free, etc etc and ya, well... ya know lol.

I am not going to lie about my car, Its surely NOT rust free, but considering its driven year round, and been a Canadian car all its life, its in pretty good shape. Not mint, not rust free, just... emm... errr.. goodish? haha.

Regardless, damn you rust!!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
echo
e30 slave

I'm always shocked by the rust on cars on overseas forums. We just don't seem to have the same problems over here. Yes, there are plenty of rusty cars, but the sort of rust I'm seeing on e30s on forums is like the rust on our cars from the 60's and 70's.

I see alot of rust in this thread. But none of it looks particularly terminal I have to admit.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Alright I'm not going to continue to thread jack... not my ride anymore.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: