Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #31
MarkD
Banned

How does the paperwork you posted relate to the problem being discussed here? The image is very small and almost impossible to read, but it looks like paperwork for some front end parts replacement, from what is visible.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
328i
BBMW Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
How does the paperwork you posted relate to the problem being discussed here? The image is very small and almost impossible to read, but it looks like paperwork for some front end parts replacement, from what is visible.
That paper work was all due to the subframe repair. on the second page it shows tie rods and control arms should be replaced to properly do an alignment which is done at the end of the process.. if you think about it .. make out the year my car is .. 1999 and if you knew anything about BMW, which i imagine you do.. do you think anything would be covered under warrenty and invoice $0 from dealership??

I think the subframe being covered is litterly the only warrenty that would be possible for a 1999 E46, no?
328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #33
MarkD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
That paper work was all due to the subframe repair. on the second page it shows tie rods and control arms should be replaced to properly do an alignment which is done at the end of the process.. if you think about it .. make out the year my car is .. 1999 and if you knew anything about BMW, which i imagine you do.. do you think anything would be covered under warrenty and invoice $0 from dealership??

I think the subframe being covered is litterly the only warrenty that would be possible for a 1999 E46, no?
All I was trying to indicate is that the image you posted has very little readable info. It's nearly impossible to see what is on there.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
328i
BBMW Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
All I was trying to indicate is that the image you posted has very little readable info. It's nearly impossible to see what is on there.
Yea sorry man I got a bit ticked off seeing how redicules this forum sometimes..since everyone is so sceptical and the only reason i posted is to try to help anyone going throught the same process.. the pics bad because i took it with my phone, sorry.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
sonny
6th Gear Member

Has anyone taken their e46 to a dealership recently and had the subframe repaired at no charge?

I wasn't aware of this issue until right now, going to inspect the car later on and if needed, taking it to BMW asap. Will this become a long tiring process visiting different dealers trying to find someone who will cover it.

Or save me some time and let me know where you took yours.....
Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #36
Ahctuning
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
I this would happen on this forum.. Bottom line i was able to get subframe repaird and for free from BMW, if you believe me fine, if not then thats also fine.. i only posted to help.. and if any one still needs help, shoot me a P/M.
I only call out on your post because people here with e46 can easily get excited and possibly will start the process with a phone call. If your story is true, then prove me (us) wrong and mock me. If you're just crapping, well..................
Ahctuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #37
Blocked_Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Has anyone taken their e46 to a dealership recently and had the subframe repaired at no charge?

I wasn't aware of this issue until right now, going to inspect the car later on and if needed, taking it to BMW asap. Will this become a long tiring process visiting different dealers trying to find someone who will cover it.

Or save me some time and let me know where you took yours.....
YES.

For the love of BMW, people wake up.

If you go to any BMW dealership and say "hey manager I need my rear subfloor repaired for free" they will tell you "Fvck off little boy".

That is exactly whats been happening with people here.

What you do is you go there with ALL the paperwork needed and demand a repair. If they tell you fvck off, you go to the service manager. The key here is to be cool and be confident.

Why am I telling you that, is because I did it. My best friend had subframe damage and thought he would have to pay out his ass for it, I told him no. We went to the dealer(Town & Country) with all the paperwork (lawsuit and all) and the guy made it seen like he doesnt know what the hell we are talking about. Once he saw the paperwork, he called us in his office and explained everything.

Here is goes:
-There is NO deadline for Canadians
-Car must be 100% is stock shape (suspension and motor) everything else doesnt matter. If you have tint or sub, no problem as long you have stock suspension and rims.
-They take pictures of the "damage" and send them to BMW Canada for approval. If BMW Canada says OK, its free. If they say no then you pay $175 for inspection.

So, to make sure you get it covered, look yourself. If its torn then you're in good luck if not then you'll just be paying $175.
Blocked_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #38
328i
BBMW Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_Out View Post
YES.

For the love of BMW, people wake up.

If you go to any BMW dealership and say "hey manager I need my rear subfloor repaired for free" they will tell you "Fvck off little boy".

That is exactly whats been happening with people here.

What you do is you go there with ALL the paperwork needed and demand a repair. If they tell you fvck off, you go to the service manager. The key here is to be cool and be confident.

Why am I telling you that, is because I did it. My best friend had subframe damage and thought he would have to pay out his ass for it, I told him no. We went to the dealer(Town & Country) with all the paperwork (lawsuit and all) and the guy made it seen like he doesnt know what the hell we are talking about. Once he saw the paperwork, he called us in his office and explained everything.

Here is goes:
-There is NO deadline for Canadians
-Car must be 100% is stock shape (suspension and motor) everything else doesnt matter. If you have tint or sub, no problem as long you have stock suspension and rims.
-They take pictures of the "damage" and send them to BMW Canada for approval. If BMW Canada says OK, its free. If they say no then you pay $175 for inspection.

So, to make sure you get it covered, look yourself. If its torn then you're in good luck if not then you'll just be paying $175.
Ill agree with checking it your slef, i did and found the crack on the subframe.. but all i did was walk up to the manager and he authorized the repair.... and i had no hassle.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #39
Toxic0n
2nd Gear Member

I just wanted to confirm that BMW Canada covered mine for free as well. This was on my 1999 328i over two years ago, even before the lawsuit in the US - I was one of the first people in Canada that I know that got it covered. The car had 170k km on it at the time.
I printed out the massive thread from E46 fanatics as well as the TIS article for the subframe repair. Called BMW Canada, they asked me to take it to a dealership.
Walked into the dealership and requested to speak to the service manager. Explained my issue, paid for the inspection. They discovered the crack in the subframe and I told them to take it up with BMW Canada to fix it for free. I explained how this is a safety issue, no car should have it's floor basically tear out from normal usage etc. The car was on stock suspension and 16"s. It took about a week for a rep from BMW Canada to come out and inspect it and then they told me it would be covered.
Took them two months to fix my car as the body shop had to order a whole new rear floor from Germany. Got to drive a brand new 328xi meanwhile.
Can't really complain, except the dealership didn't do the alignment afterward like they are supposed to and actually left some of the rear trailing arm bolts loose. At least I didn't have to spend $5k+ on the repair.
Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #40
sonny
6th Gear Member

Slow down everyone....

First, is it possible to diagnose this problem yourself?
Second, why is everyone making such a big deal of this process? It seems BMW Canada is covering almost everyone's damaged car.
Third, is this really a problem with most e46s? Why is this thread fizzling out with so few people concerned about this problem...?

Is this a real problem or not? And why don't they recall them? If someone dies because of a subframe fault, they'll have a bigger problem on their hands.. is this fair to say?

And forget about the 175 inspection fee, just go in there and say, I need my subframe repaired (if you can inspect it yourself, makes no sense to me paying 175 for some rent-a-mechanic dealership guy simply looking at it and saying "yup, it's damaged" wtf
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #41
TwiztedTD
1st Gear Newbie

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2000 e46 328I with 150,000km.

I started to research maintenance information about the car and stumbled upon this subframe issue.

Can anyone help me and verifiy this?

BMW canada dealers will inspect the car and repair for free if cracks found? Even though we are passed the date on the law suites ive been reading?

IS there a way I can inspect this myself without a jack, or hoisting it up?

If there is, does anyone have a link or is anyone able to tell me how to inspect this?
TwiztedTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #42
mattar69
1st Gear Newbie

Has anyone got the repair done recently and have receipts? Elite BMW in Ottawa is giving me quite the hassle. They said they would partially cover repair costs but $1000 reimbursement on a $4600 repair isn't really reasonable. Any help at all would be much appreciated!!!
mattar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #43
biginstreets
bitches love me!

Hey guys, I just bought an e46 and read somewhere about sub frame issues. BMW CANADA will cover this for free if I just walk in there and talk shit right?

READ THE ****ING THREAD!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #44
Ramps
2nd Gear Member

Everyone who has an E46 and plans on keeping it a while should spend $140 on the Turner reinforcement kit, and take it to RMP and have it welded in (about $550 if there's no big rips he has to weld up first).

For well under $1000 you now have bullet proof subframe mounting points and you can drive the car hard and never worry. This BMW dealer $4000+ bill to "fix" the problem is nuts. I wouldn't want BMW to fix my car...they don't know what they're doing most of the time.
Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #45
5ABIVT
Cheap reliable fast.Pick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
Everyone who has an E46 and plans on keeping it a while should spend $140 on the Turner reinforcement kit, and take it to RMP and have it welded in (about $550 if there's no big rips he has to weld up first).

For well under $1000 you now have bullet proof subframe mounting points and you can drive the car hard and never worry. This BMW dealer $4000+ bill to "fix" the problem is nuts. I wouldn't want BMW to fix my car...they don't know what they're doing most of the time.
Links or info on this turner kit please? Im looking to buy an e46 m3 soon will a ppi at bmw find this?
5ABIVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: