Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Steve@ASPTuning
2nd Gear Member

News for E46 Owners and Subframe issues!!

Quote:
Proposed Class Settlement for Owners and Lessees of 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series Vehicles

On October 24, 2006, Girard Gibbs filed a class action complaint against BMW of North America, alleging that 1999-2006 BMW 3 Series vehicles suffer from defective sub-frames. According to the complaint, the constant loading and unloading associated with normal driving can weaken the sub-frame to the point where it cracks and separates from the chassis, resulting in thousands of dollars of damage to the vehicle. The complaint alleges that BMW was aware of the alleged sub-frame defect, but failed to notify consumers or pay for sub-frame repairs under warranty.

On March 3, 2009, Hon. Judge Dean D. Pregerson granted preliminary approval of a proposed class settlement, under which BMW will reimburse E46 owners or lessees in full for their sub-frame repair expenses. As part of the settlement, BMW has also agreed to implement a National Sub-Frame Inspection and Repair Program. All current owners and lessees of a 1999-2006 BMW 3 series vehicle will be notified of the sub-frame problem and will have one year to present their vehicle for a free inspection and repair (if needed). The Court is scheduled to decide whether to finally approve the proposed settlement on August 3, 2009.

If you would like more information about the BMW sub-frame defect class action lawsuit or proposed settlement, please fill out the form on the right or call us toll free at (866) 981-4800.
Why Girard Gibbs LLP?

Girard Gibbs, a national litigation firm specializing in securities litigation, consumer class actions and complex business litigation, has recovered more than a billion dollars on behalf of its clients. Girard Gibbs' managing partner Daniel Girard was voted one of Northern California's Super Lawyers in 2007 and 2008 by Law & Politics, recognizing him as one of the top 5-percent of attorneys practicing in Northern California.
I wonder if this will apply to Canadians? As this lawsuit is in the USA and is outside of our jurisdiction.

More info here: http://www.girardgibbs.com/bmwe46.asp

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

about time this was looked at. kind of ridiculous that it had to go this far though....
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@ASPTuning View Post
I wonder if this will apply to Canadians? As this lawsuit is in the USA and is outside of our jurisdiction.

More info here: http://www.girardgibbs.com/bmwe46.asp

Steve
ASPTuning
I wondered that too, BMW Canada probably knew about this ruling,realistically, it should be covered by BMW Canada since the cars are the same.

There was a guy in Vancouver who had the subframe tear on his Z3 (awhile back) and his was repaired free by BMW Canada.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
piotrek636
formerly Lucky

I need to inspect my car, but I wonder, my car is a US model imported to canada, I think I may get screwed by both sides
piotrek636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Interesting. What about e36 owners?? We got shit subframes too! Or is it even worse on the e46s??

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
parad0x
Got BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek636 View Post
I need to inspect my car, but I wonder, my car is a US model imported to canada, I think I may get screwed by both sides

I too have a U.S. car, and I just witnessed a stock '06 getting a subframe reinforced at a local body shop to me. I tried to take a few pictures but my phone camera wouldnt work cause it was low on battery juice unfortunately. They were cutting out the whole subframe railing out and they had the new panel sheet sitting on stands waiting to be welded in. I also know of another mechanics shop called nixon automotive that have their own subframe reinforcement kit and have done the repair many times over already on the e46 m3's. This problem with the subframes is not only happening to the u.s. cars, but to canadian too and that's cause our cars come from the same factory as theirs so they have the same defect. If hte U.S. have the priviledge of a free inspection/repair, we should too.

If you've already gone to the dealer or called bmw canada let me know what you found out.
parad0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
dbworld4k
Addict

BMW Canada is a bitch and didn't cover mine.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
CoEEzi
2nd Gear Member

Most likely they saw all the mods on your car.
CoEEzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoEEzi View Post
Most likely they saw all the mods on your car.
Nah, mine first showed signs of cracking at 65k, w/no mods full service history, original owner and they still refused to fix it. **** BMW CANADA!!!

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
whoami
2nd Gear Member

Mines in the shop right now getting fixed

2000 323i .. at 102km

BMW of Mississauga took care of me
whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
Mines in the shop right now getting fixed

2000 323i .. at 102km

BMW of Mississauga took care of me
I'm glad their doing the right thing for you; but 4 years ago when mine cracked they refused to; so I had 2 options; pay out of pocket for repairs or scrap a car I paid good money for.

Still Hyundai and Kia build cars that don't experience such failures; I love driving BMW's but really subframes cracking is ridiculous; especially considering they did on E36's too.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
E46bimmer
2nd Gear Member

Elite BMW in Ottawa told me they knew nothing of this and wont be doing anything about it. Apparently they spoke with the warranty people on this and they denied it. From what I read it looks like 2 people from Toronto got it taken care of. It's not like this is a light bulb or anything, Im a little concerned but I also wont pay for an inspection. So I don't know, guess Ill roll the dice.
E46bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46bimmer View Post
Elite BMW in Ottawa told me they knew nothing of this and wont be doing anything about it. Apparently they spoke with the warranty people on this and they denied it. From what I read it looks like 2 people from Toronto got it taken care of. It's not like this is a light bulb or anything, Im a little concerned but I also wont pay for an inspection. So I don't know, guess Ill roll the dice.
Hundreds (if not thousands) of people in Ontario had it covered; much of the work was done "quietly & covertly" at Don Valley Collision. When I paid to have mine repaired they had dozens of E46's on-site with torn sub frames lined up for repair paid by BMW Canada; yet BMW Waterloo claimed to have no knowledge of the tearing issue; even when presented with the TIS from BMW Germany. Classic case of deny deny deny.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46bimmer View Post
As you know, it's a known issue and BMW Canada will look at it in a case by case issue(kinda pity), I dont mind spending time collecting all pertinent information regarding the sub frame tear issues and sue BMW Canada to recover my repair cost in small claim court.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
How can you tell you have a torn subframe?

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: