Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #136
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue View Post
While it's true that US dollar will fall somewhat, Canada and the rest of the world are tied into it and will also shift as a result. So if the US dollar falls, so will the Canadian one. The missing link is that there is nothing special going on that will make the Canadian Dollar climb proportionally to the US one. There is no gold standard at play here, faith in the USD is what will hold its value from falling into something like a bankruptcy.

If you disagree then start playing the forex game and see what happens if you have that much faith in the shift.
To each their own. All you Americans think you're invincible, so there is no arguing with you. I'll tell you the secret to our dollar being worth more than yours in the future: Alberta has the most oil in the world, more than Saudi Arabia; our governments and consumers spend proportionately less than yours
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #137
BigD
the misanthropist

You guys are cute for seriously entertaining this question. It's akin to a child dreaming about what he's going to do when he grows up (be the president of the united states and have 3 fighter jets, and marry his mom). Just smile and nod, "yeah sounds great!"
Old 06-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #138
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue View Post
faith in the USD is what will hold its value from falling into something like a bankruptcy.
It's not faith, it's dependency that is preventing the collapse of the US dollar.
The dependency I'm talking about is China's. China could dump the US dollar right now if they wanted to but it would be like shooting themselves in the foot so to speak. If the US falls the Chinese economy will suffer because the US is their biggest export market.

Right now, your US $ minus well say made in China on it.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #139
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
To each their own. All you Americans think you're invincible, so there is no arguing with you. I'll tell you the secret to our dollar being worth more than yours in the future: Alberta has the most oil in the world, more than Saudi Arabia; our governments and consumers spend proportionately less than yours
are you referring to the oil sands, it's not so simple. I'm not sold, but if you are sure then there is a lot of money to be made if you place your money down today.

Dinan - faith / dependency are really the same for this topic. It an interesting relationship which would be WWIII if china ever tried to collect. As you said, they won't because it's not in their interest to do so.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #140
rodo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
You guys are cute for seriously entertaining this question. It's akin to a child dreaming about what he's going to do when he grows up (be the president of the united states and have 3 fighter jets, and marry his mom). Just smile and nod, "yeah sounds great!"

LOL.

To the OP: I may be negative, or you maybe out to lunch. And according to everyone else it's the later. But hey, if you want to buy a car way out of your means, go ahead. Being a hood rich baller isn't my thing, but to each his own

And before you ask how do I know you're not "rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330ci View Post
Im not a rich person at all!

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

Last edited by rodo; 06-05-2009 at 04:16 PM.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #141
rodo
6th Gear Member

lets bring this back to life.

I was at a party at ferrari of toronto tonight, the cars, watches, etc that were there was nuts. It further convinces me that you shouldn't get this car judging by what you described. I don't even want to imagine the net worth of the attendees.

They had the california which is very nice, and last year's F1 car which is super cool, CF everywhere.

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #142
europrince
6th Gear Member

thread from the dead. let's keep it there. i hope buddy learned his lesson from all of us.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #143
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Nice car, but too bad it looks like a Buick.
That's what I was thinking.
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #144
europrince
6th Gear Member

^ hardly! it's a very good looking car. I love the snout
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #145
saix
rawr

Send a message via AIM to saix
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince View Post
God do all Canadians live in such pitiful spite?
saix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #146
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
europrince, i'll put your america bashing aside, since your opinion on the subject doesn't mean shit to me.

However, you've demostrated that you have at least some basic sense of economics and trade between Canada and the United States, so i've got a question. Do you actually believe that the canadian dollar will, at any point in the near future, raise in value above parity with the US dollar, and stay there? There are tons of reasons as to why that wouldn't happen (most specifically, because the canadian government would devalue the canadian dollar to ensure that it is not worth more than the american, since much of our trade is based on discounted currency)

Sure, the economy can temporarily change exchange rates, even drastically, however, the balance between CAD and USD is symbiotic in promoting a rougly 9:10 ratio of exchange, where the canadian dollar is worth slightly less than the US, but rarely more than 15-20% less.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #147
europrince
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
europrince, i'll put your america bashing aside, since your opinion on the subject doesn't mean shit to me.

However, you've demostrated that you have at least some basic sense of economics and trade between Canada and the United States, so i've got a question. Do you actually believe that the canadian dollar will, at any point in the near future, raise in value above parity with the US dollar, and stay there? There are tons of reasons as to why that wouldn't happen (most specifically, because the canadian government would devalue the canadian dollar to ensure that it is not worth more than the american, since much of our trade is based on discounted currency)

Sure, the economy can temporarily change exchange rates, even drastically, however, the balance between CAD and USD is symbiotic in promoting a rougly 9:10 ratio of exchange, where the canadian dollar is worth slightly less than the US, but rarely more than 15-20% less.
Prop, firstly, most analysts and economists got it wrong last year, so take any analysis in context. There are so many factors involved in currency levels, its impossible to discuss it in a few paragraphs. I can tell you that the Bank of Canada's interest rate policy is fight inflation and try to manage the economic cycle, NOT to manage the currency rate. Nor is managing currency rate a fiscal policy objective of the federal government. To think otherwise is ignorant. If you recall a year and a half ago when our dollar hit $1.10 US, the government and the BoC did nothing.

The concensus I've been reading is that we will stay close to but under par for the remainder of the year. There are concerns that the massive US stimulus spending will at some point bring inflation in the US. There are fears that this will lead to foreigners, namely China, dumping US treasuries for a safer currency or basket of currencies. This will lead to a drop in the US feeding on itself. This is all speculation of course.

Do I think the Canadian dollar will rise above the USD in the near future and stay there? No. Do I think it will happen at some point in the future? Certainly. The US is broke. It will pay the price eventually.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #148
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

...until the Amero is our new currency.

This exchange rate is killing my portfolio, won't be taking profits any time soon.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #149
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin View Post
...until the Amero is our new currency.

This exchange rate is killing my portfolio, won't be taking profits any time soon.
Amero? Lol, good idea, sounds like a GM product

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #150
addbhp
3rd Gear Member

I'm sorry I've read this laughing throughout and had to add my 2cents.

Let me recap:
Our dollar will hit par or exceed US
Quattroporte is going to be a daily driver
Your BMW is too expensive to repair and not what it claims to be
You are 23
You live at home
You presently ride Public transportation
You are going to split future expenses with your present GF
You are handy enough to repair what is essentially a exotic car
You are going to build your 1st house
You want to drive an old mans car
Your a hard worker and a self made man

Wow I was going to say we are the idiots for reading 10 pages of this, but then I thought.....wait a minute.......
You're asking a online forum for your approval on said car....You are the smart guy that has this world figured out at 23...Grow some balls and buy whatever you want.
2001 330Cic

Last edited by addbhp; 06-11-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
addbhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: