Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

E30 3 deg neg camber on rear wheel!

Hello everybody. I have an 85 325e manual. Eibach lowering springs and very dead stock shocks.

No rust, and I've done a lot of maintenance items like motor/transmission mounts, driveshaft bearing and flex joint (that was fun). So here is my dilemma.

According to an alignment rack my driver's rear has almost 3 degrees negative camber and the passenger side about 1 degree. The car has Eibach sport lowering springs. I don't believe this car was in any kind of accident to warrant a bent control arm or the like, but it doesn't seem like there should be that much negative camber on that side.

If I jack the car up by the body and then lower the body with the support of a jack on the rear crossmember I can watch the bushing/bolt move about 3/4" of an inch in. There is no banging or noise from the rear at all. I managed a 1.55 at Mosport GP track yesterday but I didn't want to push more since all the wheels were out of whack. I can blame the dead lowering springs for the odd camber on the front, but my focus is the rear right now.

Looking at the rear suspension the travel up and down shouldn't affect camber but caster at it rotates up and forward.

I'm interested in getting some feedback. Car is up in the garage so if you want some pictures of a particular area I'd be happy to.

An interesting note is that the odd drivers side control arm seems to sit hanging further towards the ground than the passenger side yet that same side has almost 2 degrees more camber. Doesn't make any sense!
85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Others will chime in, but the way the E30 trailing arm works is the more lower you go, the more negative camber will you gain.

Take a look-see here:

http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...rves/index.htm
Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

Very intresting artical, favorited!
adam325i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I have the same problem, -3 on the passenger side. -1.3 on the driverside both front a d rear.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
iignite
2nd Gear Member

im also on eibachs and it seems like the passenger is lower than the drivers side. I just thought it was just the battery
iignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Bent arm? Doubt it though. Check all the rear end bushings, maybe one side is worn out beyond belief...

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
echo
e30 slave

I have 2.5neg on both sides which is what you'd expect with the springs I have (H&R Sport).

If it's not even side to side, replace your trailing arm and subframe bushes and go for another alignment. if it's still out, something is bent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: