Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Air Suspension, it's good until..

Navigator has air suspension which makes the ride super comfortable no matter how the road is, but if anything goes it's pretty $$ to fix it. I just had to replace one air cylinder (so basically suspension for one corner) and it's just over $1500

No wonder some swicth to "regular" suspension as soon as something goes wrong.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
myndgone
..... kLaSSe~1 .....

Send a message via MSN to myndgone
gotta pay to play...you out of all ballers should know that
myndgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myndgone View Post
gotta pay to play...you out of all ballers should know that
Haha I'm not really complaining, I'd never take out the air suspension and put in shocks/struts but I can see why some people do it..
Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

It's from carrying all those gold bricks in the back.

'04 645cic
'05 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 CCSB 4x4
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Last week I went to get rear tires changed and after telling the guy 3 times to turn off air suspension I ended up doing it myself, but he didn't use hoist and ended up using two jacks to lift the rear end. I'll have to ask tech at the dealership if that could've caused the damage..

PS/ I did carry a very heavy BBQ in the back two days ago..steel, no gold
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

Yeah that's what always happens. The BMWs with hydraulic suspension all inevitably bust open and then it's like riding on spindles welded to the body. ONE SLS shock is a grand, so people just plug up the hydraulics and put in some good aftermarket shocks. Being burnt before that's why I made sure my 4Runner didn't have xreas. Toyota or not, it will eventually fail and it'll be really annoying to ride in, difficult and expensive to fix. I know the limiteds with the air self levelling rear suspension already have problems. Salt gets into the leveling sensor, making the system perpetually think you're too high, and droop the ass.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Ya, LR's suffer from lots of air ride related issues too. Really one of the few things on those trucks that are a PIA.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
W2WDETAILING
Banned

my grandfather just had to replace the compressor in his 02 envoy the rear end is factory bagged it cost about 1,400 dollars..
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Air ride or not, those trucks are expensive to fix...My Expedition rear end has 4 control arms at $270 each, and trailing arm at $290...All have bushings that go bad over time...So just changing those is $$$$...AND no Ford dealer had them in stock, must be ordered from the US and it takes 3 days! Sucks when you need it done yesterday!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
W2WDETAILING
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Air ride or not, those trucks are expensive to fix...My Expedition rear end has 4 control arms at $270 each, and trailing arm at $290...All have bushings that go bad over time...So just changing those is $$$$...AND no Ford dealer had them in stock, must be ordered from the US and it takes 3 days! Sucks when you need it done yesterday!
ouch.. i had to do the control arm on my jeep one place quoted 500 for the part the other quoted 320 i think ..i cant rem any new vehicle is bs for parts
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

I'm so used to these prices (which is really bad). Whenever I'm at the dealership/mechanic and see people go crazy that they have to spend $200-300 on a repair..knowing it would be well over $1000 for me for the same repair.

Air suspension is crazy though, many parts are dealer only even the tech working on ,my navigator was surprised by the bill. According to that to replace whole air suspension it would be at least $7500
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

Having spent lots of time driving a Navigator from Kitchener to Florida, gotta say the air ride is worth every penny. So smooth, reduces driver fatigue and the lil ones fall asleep really quickly too.

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
///Mmm
Need an s85!

Iam working at a Ford dealership as a driver and i got to drive a 2008 Navigator, its the most comfortable ride i ever had ! And good handling considering its size and weight.
///Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: