Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
abc12
4th Gear Member

protein supplements

couldn't find that old body building thread... went through 40 pages of previous threads with no luck...

ne ways.. just wondering... where's a good decent place to purchase supplements, such as whey protein etc...

i know GNC.. u buy like a $5 or $10 membership card and get dis-counts of there products , but is it really worth it there..

so just comparing which stores have decent prices and products. GNC, pop-eyes, etc...

thanks
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

popeyes is one of the best places, i know its downtown but if you work in the core than check them out.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
BigD
the misanthropist

Unless you want to buy bulk, the best deal is Costco. They have a 2kg tub on sale for 23 right now, isolate and concentrate mix. They have a really good one (100% isolate) but it's 44. It's still way cheaper than anything you can find elsewhere. The best deal you can usually get elsewhere is 2 lbs (or less than 1kg) for around 30 bucks.

If you're good with bulk, like 10+++ pounds, then buy from trueprotein.com. If you don't buy a lot the shipping isn't worth it (they ship exclusively with UPS and it seems to bottom out around 20 bucks).
Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
5thseries
biggerthen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Unless you want to buy bulk, the best deal is Costco. They have a 2kg tub on sale for 23 right now, isolate and concentrate mix. They have a really good one (100% isolate) but it's 44. It's still way cheaper than anything you can find elsewhere. The best deal you can usually get elsewhere is 2 lbs (or less than 1kg) for around 30 bucks.

If you're good with bulk, like 10+++ pounds, then buy from trueprotein.com. If you don't buy a lot the shipping isn't worth it (they ship exclusively with UPS and it seems to bottom out around 20 bucks).
BigD, I know you are rather educated when it comes to fitness, body building etc... well, when it comes to fitness, I take the more natural way, meaning NO pills, protien shakes.. nothing. If there any down falls to NOT doing that? If I am sore, i usually knock down a good amount of chicken or fish and love off water.
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thseries View Post
BigD, I know you are rather educated when it comes to fitness, body building etc... well, when it comes to fitness, I take the more natural way, meaning NO pills, protien shakes.. nothing. If there any down falls to NOT doing that? If I am sore, i usually knock down a good amount of chicken or fish and love off water.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. If I could afford it and had the time to eat enough proper food to get enough protein and good fat that way, I would do that. I have 210 lean bodymass, so I try to get 300-400 grams of protein per day. To do that with food means eating chicken and beef all day long. I also have a high fat diet but to get enough Omega3 fat by eating fish I'd make any seal jealous.

The other thing with supplementation is to not overthink it. Other than hormones (and I'm not talking about the crap that claims to stimulate hormone production, or worse yet be 1000% more effective, I'm talking about the stuff that gets you a congress hearing in the US), there's nothing that will work miracles.

And finally there's a lot to be said for natural food. I'm a big believer in metabolic typing. Before cars and airplanes, where you were born is pretty much where you stayed. So your body has evolved to efficiently work with what was available. You can't expect it to totally change gears within 1 generation. If your genetics come from tens of thousands of years of living off meat and vegetables, you have no business eating tons of sugar. Similarly, if your ancestors lived off fruits and some lean meat, eating too much fat is going to **** you up. So by the same token, I think protein or fat that is delivered along with everything else that it always came with (the rest of the steak), is going to be much more welcome by your body.

So as long as your goals are being met with your diet, don't worry about it. Start supplementing when you see the need to increase a nutrient in your diet and you're maxing out what you can reasonably expect from food.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thseries View Post
Drink chocolate milk instead of protein/recovery shakes, does the same thing.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin View Post
Drink chocolate milk instead of protein/recovery shakes, does the same thing.
you're joking, right?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
abc12
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
popeyes is one of the best places, i know its downtown but if you work in the core than check them out.
i was actually downtown yesterday, did walk in "popeyes" and took a look...

but there's only one location?? thought there are multiple locations in the gta
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc12 View Post
couldn't find that old body building thread... went through 40 pages of previous threads with no luck...

ne ways.. just wondering... where's a good decent place to purchase supplements, such as whey protein etc...

i know GNC.. u buy like a $5 or $10 membership card and get dis-counts of there products , but is it really worth it there..

so just comparing which stores have decent prices and products. GNC, pop-eyes, etc...

thanks
I buy all my supplements off www.bodybuilding.com

its half the price of GNC plus the website can break down all the protein suppliers/ products on which ever way you want. I like ISO Pure .. it has the least amount of calories per scoop with no fat and a good amount of protein intake.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue View Post
you're joking, right?
No, actually. It's a great recovery drink, look it up
Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
JMW
Pole busted to boosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
I buy all my supplements off www.bodybuilding.com

its half the price of GNC plus the website can break down all the protein suppliers/ products on which ever way you want. I like ISO Pure .. it has the least amount of calories per scoop with no fat and a good amount of protein intake.
agreed.
now only if i could get roids off there.

Official Team BIMMERSPORTAUTOMOTIVE vehicle owner.
support: thanks to. Bimmersport automotive and audio 2 go (ATG motoring)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid
"i saw your car there when i was there a few weeks ago, looks absolutely stunning man. I think i popped a ****ing boner, that paint looks sick
JMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

bigD, wat is the good protein from costco? Is it the Kaizen whey isolate?
Thats the only protein i have been taking. Is that cheaper protein good to take as well tho?

you know anything about Purple K kreatine? i have just started to take that for like 10 days. Its the pill form and there is no bloating or water retention. Is it ok for a 24 year old that is 170 pounds, 6 foot tall, mostly in shape, but still working on bulking up to take this supplement?

thanks
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
bigD, wat is the good protein from costco? Is it the Kaizen whey isolate?
Thats the only protein i have been taking. Is that cheaper protein good to take as well tho?
Yeah the Kaizen looks to be the better stuff. I buy the other one. You don't get what you pay for with this. Whey protein, I don't care what funky name they give it, is a waste product of the dairy industry. Supplement companies buy it for pennies. There are a ton of hokey claims out there about absorption rates but unless it's chemically altered like Hydrolysate (which is cool but nasty, not worth the benefit in my opinion), it's all the same shit. All you really gain with isolate is a bit more protein per volume. So at that point it's just utility - if you gain 10% more protein per scoop, and pay 40% more money... does it make any sense? If you must get the 3 extra grams just take a more rounded scoop.

Quote:
you know anything about Purple K kreatine? i have just started to take that for like 10 days. Its the pill form and there is no bloating or water retention. Is it ok for a 24 year old that is 170 pounds, 6 foot tall, mostly in shape, but still working on bulking up to take this supplement?

thanks
I don't know the brand in question but creatine in general is a waste of money. Unless you're a vegan, you already get more than you can use from meat. The extra stuff may just retain some water in you and that makes people think they grew some. That and placebo effect.

The whole supplement industry in general is one giant penis enlargement ad. There is very little science out there to substantiate anything, yet every supplement company and bodybuilding magazine seems to have the answer - yet everyone's still small and weak. Scientists talk about building blocks of tissue but really it's just a relatively vague idea of what's going on, in that they know some things are critical, but they really don't know why - if they did they'd be able to build a cell from scratch, but they can't. Until not long ago, early-mid 20th century unless my memory fails me, people were convinced that all you needed was protein fat and carbs. That's what baby formulas were made of. It wasn't until they discovered vitamins that the crops of malnourished ****ed up babies stopped.

So I draw my conclusion from anecdotal evidence - when enough people have shown the results I wanted to see using something, I decide it's time for me to give it a shot. That list is very short but it does include protein powder.

Anyway I'm sure that's more than you wanted to read but I'm taking a shit so I have the time to waste.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
Tommy Boy
bAaAM!

HAHAH taking a shit, protein powder makes those stank eh lol, thanks for the info... **** i should get to costco and buy another 2-3 tubs of protein....that stuff can last for like 3-4 months when its sealed right? any idea when this deal is done so i dont miss out on this?
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
HAHAH taking a shit, protein powder makes those stank eh lol, thanks for the info... **** i should get to costco and buy another 2-3 tubs of protein....that stuff can last for like 3-4 months when its sealed right? any idea when this deal is done so i dont miss out on this?
Yeah. But I'm either developing a tolerance for the protein or a tolerance for the smell (and so is the wife...).

Yeah no worries, just don't open the stuff you won't use. Not that it'll go bad but the humid air may make it clump up. It's a sale so it'll end at some point but I'm sure you're good for the week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: