Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #31
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

yah, that's messed up. ****ing york and its shenanigans.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #32
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
there was a shooting at york thursday night
hahahaha
not surprised, those guys scrapped in the library at noon in front of everyone. Cops were all over the place.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #33
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post

What I admire now are 18 year old kids who know they want to be a mechanic/electrician etc. They get their apprenticeship and by 20s they are balling and having a life for themselves, compared to toilet paper-degree holders...
Totally agree... I dropped out of U of T (downtown) years ago because I didn't have any real idea where I wanted to go with school. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those kids whose parents pay for it so they can afford to **** around for years at University. Got into a trade instead cause the money was really good. I have to admit that at first I thought I was selling myself short or that it was somehow 'below me,' but I'm 28 now and own a house, boat, cars, bike, etc....and I'm looking at my friends with degrees that are struggling to pay rent. I don't think a lot of people have any idea how much money there is to be made in trades, and a lot share that same, "it's below me" attitude. Right now most people I know that aren't struggling or worried about losing their jobs (other than professionals) are people in trades.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
Totally agree... I dropped out of U of T (downtown) years ago because I didn't have any real idea where I wanted to go with school. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those kids whose parents pay for it so they can afford to **** around for years at University. Got into a trade instead cause the money was really good. I have to admit that at first I thought I was selling myself short or that it was somehow 'below me,' but I'm 28 now and own a house, boat, cars, bike, etc....and I'm looking at my friends with degrees that are struggling to pay rent. I don't think a lot of people have any idea how much money there is to be made in trades, and a lot share that same, "it's below me" attitude. Right now most people I know that aren't struggling or worried about losing their jobs (other than professionals) are people in trades.
It really shouldnt be an issue of being "below you".. I don't know why you thought that way. It makes me think you got into it for the money and not because you liked it?

I always wanted to think up new ideas and invent things. that's why I went to university. I know what I want to do and schooling is the only way to get there.

There are kids who are gearheads and dream about being a car mechanic or an electrician.. All the power to them.

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
I think you guys are downplaying degree's. In both cases with degree's and Diploma's there are the people who do great and people who do poorly. Not many electricians have a 700,000 dollar house a vette in the driveway and a wife with double D's in bed waiting for em when they get home.

My brother for instance took Electrical Engineering at Ryerson, did a Co-op year with AMD, made 40 grand for the year. Finished his last semester in April and is on the Verge of getting a position that will have him seeing 70 grand per annum fresh out of University.

This isn't a special case because he's told me stories of at least 3 of his friends who didn't go for co-op and graduated last year and now have cushy jobs.

I think it's a matter of preference, if you like to work with your body and get paid for labour the trades are for you. Me personally I like cars and Mechanics and I'll tackle any job but **** doing that for money, not worth the stress and physical burn out for me. I chose University simply because I'd like to use my brain and be valued for that rather than muscle.

To the OP, I'd choose WL over York. Their program is overshadowed by their Shulich school.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.

Last edited by ACS_DAN; 05-16-2009 at 07:18 PM.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #36
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
It really shouldnt be an issue of being "below you".. I don't know why you thought that way. It makes me think you got into it for the money and not because you liked it?

I always wanted to think up new ideas and invent things. that's why I went to university. I know what I want to do and schooling is the only way to get there.

There are kids who are gearheads and dream about being a car mechanic or an electrician.. All the power to them.
There was a time not long ago that tradespeople were looked down upon as being somewhat second-tier by a lot of people. Like that was kinda what you'd do if you weren't smart enough to get into university. A lot of white-collar people still think that way. And I happened to be surrounded by a lot of that, so I guess that's where that idea came from. So now that I'm older and (hopefully) wiser, I agree with your statement about "toilet paper" degrees vs. apprenticeships and such. Don't go to university just because it's what you think you're supposed to do after high school, cause if you don't have a clear idea of what you want, you'll just end up wasting a lot of time and money, IMO.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #37
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

I dropped out of York U before the year ended.

Started working full time in the car industry, saved saved saved, 12 years later, no regrets.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: