Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #16
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6E60 View Post
This is not true.... Its a realistic approach to a degree, they are a dime a dozen. Looking back at it, i believe university is a good environment to socialize you for the working world... IE: No one on your case about doing work / coming in to class / finishing up assignments. Its all up to you, It preps you for life after school. Which i value more than my degree (in Poli Sci BTW) and my career has very little to do with my degree. But i do use fundamentals of the university life in general every day in work.

Kris
Right, but looking back at money invested and job oppurtunities, The second time around I go back to school, I ll do it for a practical degree.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
noid
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6E60 View Post
This is not true.... Its a realistic approach to a degree, they are a dime a dozen. Looking back at it, i believe university is a good environment to socialize you for the working world... IE: No one on your case about doing work / coming in to class / finishing up assignments. Its all up to you, It preps you for life after school. Which i value more than my degree (in Poli Sci BTW) and my career has very little to do with my degree. But i do use fundamentals of the university life in general every day in work.

Kris
Theoretically speaking, the way I understand what your saying is that, a person actually needs to go to university to get a degree, however it is only to get your foot in the door, after that work experience takes care of the rest. Right?
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #18
someguy
Singhy

i agree...working in the real world most just care more about the degree rather than where you got it. and for what its worth, i would personally avoid York just so I don't have to worry about a strike during my time there.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
i agree...working in the real world most just care more about the degree rather than where you got it. and for what its worth, i would personally avoid York just so I don't have to worry about a strike during my time there.
i could be drunk right now.
but i'm just taking a break before resuming my studying for a test tomorrow...
...strike ****ing sucked.

on a side note, yorkU is a very social school with somewhat of a laid back vibe. resources are there for you if needed. gym is cheap (10$/year). lots of good looking people (some magazine had york rated #1 for best looking student body in Canada). convenient!!! (location location location). lots of events. oh yea...did i mention york has its own mall!? like woahhhhhhhhh
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #20
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

I went to York

The school itself is okay, but the location & social life there really sucks. But with them ****ers striking every few years I would stay away, more deserving schools deserve your tuition money
Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin View Post
I went to York

The school itself is okay, but the location & social life there really sucks. But with them ****ers striking every few years I would stay away, more deserving schools deserve your tuition money
York isnt that bad but the standards in which they accept students with average marks is not as "selective" as other universities.The women there are considered to be some of the most attractive in Ontario though,if that means anything to you..I know some graduates from York and one of them is working at Home Depot,another one is installing washrooms and last one is a waiter at the CN tower.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Seeing as how I just graduated... Basically anywhere you can pull a business degree with co op you are golden...

That being said... social life at university is a big deal... I would not pick york... and they decided to screw me over at the entrance gate...

I applied for a BSc. in criminology there and they offered me a BA in Woman's studies...
Old 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
damameke
6th Gear Member

I was told once many moons ago:

"Study spoils your brain and working spoils your health"

Do neither and you are also F__K

so, any U is good in today's economic slump,
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #24
2K6E60
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Theoretically speaking, the way I understand what your saying is that, a person actually needs to go to university to get a degree, however it is only to get your foot in the door, after that work experience takes care of the rest. Right?
You Got it.
2K6E60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
^ That is true. Than again, there are quite a few big firms that don't even check if you have it on your record. They need to fill in the position , and if you fit the bill , there you are.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #26
TNation
Banned

It's an awesome school for women, so many fine girls there. It's pretty laidback, and I was seriously considering there as well. Hands down better than Brock.
And even when you finish your degree, hopefully the economy will be turned around, or you'll be waiting tables.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #27
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Everybody knows that "theory" does not work in the real world.

There are too many graduates now fighting for the same jobs. Apparently computer engineers graduating at the top of their class in Waterloo can't even get co op at RIM to make 55k a year. Companies afford to be really choosy too. Starting salaries in engineering fields took a slump hard in the past decade as well because of oversupply. What does that say about technologist positions, that were once aimed at college graduates, and get filled by university & engineering graduates?? Now college diploma is as good as a toilet paper, except it doesn't cost thousands of dollars!!!

What many people don't understand is that a university and a college is a business. Each year they think of more bullshit degrees (Think Ryerson that made 3 master's programs in my program for the next 2 years) and colleges think of even more pointless degrees (like a diploma in fly swatting at your nearest Humber). You get the idea.. Colleges and Universitys are a business! OSAP is a business! They want your money and pay big bucks to the CEO. When will 18 year old Joe and Jane realize this.....sigh...

What I admire now are 18 year old kids who know they want to be a mechanic/electrician etc. They get their apprenticeship and by 20s they are balling and having a life for themselves, compared to toilet paper-degree holders...

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 05-14-2009 at 05:52 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

Let me give you a break down in regard to my own experience at york and what I know of universities in general.

Looking back now, (it's only been two years) make sure you go into exactly what you want to get into, otherwise two years down the road you'll kill you're self over it and ruin your uni experience.

Yorks academic record varies from faculty to faculty. The business economics program at atkinson is a great program, but if you want to get anywhere out of university do really well your first year and transfer to schulich for bba. That being said a lot of the people are in york to later head out to grade school, because york offer an unbelievable amount of bullshit courses. Don't get me wrong you'll still have to work.

Academia wise york has a decent rep thanx to osgood and schulich. If I were you I'd go to WL and transfer to UOW a year later. I have no idea what these guys are saying, a degree means a lot.

JUST DONT GO TO BROCK WHATEVER YOU DO!

Last edited by PinkieMoscow; 05-15-2009 at 06:51 PM.
PinkieMoscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #29
VSanj
6th Gear Member

I am a york alumni.......awesome place to drink......burp!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #30
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

there was a shooting at york thursday night
hahahaha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: