Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
tomski
1st Gear Newbie

Valley pan leaking

Hi. I purchased my 01 540i with 107k in January, BMW did the pre-purchase inspection, but that issue was not found. I called a couple of shops for prices and it's not cheap. Also my valve cover gaskets are leaking. I'd like to tackle this myself but not sure if I can complete the job.
With the valley pan and the valve cover gaskets, I'm looking at a $2000 plus job. What are your suggestions, do only the pan valley gasket at an independent and the valve gaskets myself, or just get the whole thing done.

Thanks
tomski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Wannabe
Northwood.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/264840

for you, might help
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

It's a common problem with the 4.4 and 4.0 V8's. It's just a PITA to get to, you need to remove the intake manifold which is why it takes so long and costs so much. If you have a good knowledge of cars then you could do it.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
commodore64
MR. Supercharger

We did a rebuild on my motor a few years back and I had the same issue after approx 2 years.

Ensure you order ALL the correct parts and replace the bloody pan (change all the gaskets while you are in there) valve cover gaskets are a no brainer if you are good at working on cars ...

2000 bucks is way way way over-priced, max you should be spending for the entire job included gaskets / valve cover etc is 1600

check out RMP I think its on steeles ? dude knows what he is doing
commodore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
Jave
2nd Gear Member

I just did the valve cover gaskets on mine following this guide: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/124059

Wasn't bad at all and I barely know anything about working on cars. RMP quoted me $400 for them to do it.
Jave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

MLue just recently did his pan gasket, he can let you know whats involved. I did my Head gaskets a while back took me 5 hours, but no brainer. Just take your time and go easy.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

I did my valley pan, intake gaskets and CCV/OSV a few weeks ago but I knew about the valley pan leak more than a year before. Since the BMW dealer didn't find the leak during the inspection you shouldn't have to panic, the valley pan leaks are usually quite slow even in the summer months. If you're going to do it yourself, you can take some time to buy all the parts and read all the different instructions on doing the valley pan repair.

I used these instructions, although they are for the earlier E39 with the ICV they are the most comprehensive and you will not have to cut and splice any wires or use 2x4s but a few bungie cords are quite helpful.
http://members.cox.net/rlacm/IntakeIndex.htm

If you have any questions please ask away I will be happy to answer them.

BTW: The job only requires basic tools but take your time and do things correctly and everything will work out. The instructions says that the job is doable in 6 hours but there is alot of bending and stretching involved so I choose to be nice to my back and I do a bit at a time, it took me a week to do but in the end my back was fine.

Last edited by MLue1; 05-10-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add info
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
tomski
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for all the help. Will wait a bit more before I make a decision to address the problem. One thing is, not to stress about it. On a side note, what oil grade and make is everyone running in their cars. I went with Lubro Moly 5w-40 Synthoil, thinking of changing to Castrol 0w-30.

Cheers
tomski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

What does this cost for parts alone?
daveyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyto View Post
What does this cost for parts alone?
I bought all the parts that was listed in the instructions that I posted above. Last October I paid $310.00 USD plus shipping from Tischer BMW in Maryland. Parts order was for valley pan and cover, assorted o-rings for cooling pipes and oil breather system, intake gaskets and CCV/OSV. I consider this price a great deal, remember that all parts are original BMW.

While I'm thinking of what I did, here are some additional things that may be of interest:
I replaced the seven torx bolts for the CCV/OSV with seven metric M6x1x25 bolts and lock washers so that I can easily remove and replace the CCV/OSV in the future with only a gear wrench instead of struggling with the torx bolts.

If you haven't replaced your cam position sensors lately be prepared to have the plastic insulation covering on the wires crumble in your hands if the sensor is old. My sensor(s) wasn't giving any problems before so I just repaired the insulation covering by removing all the brittle plastic, untwisted the wires then coated the exposed wires with RTV, several thin coats were done to make sure I got all the exposed surfaces

Last edited by MLue1; 05-13-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Mark!

I will look into Tischer BMW and thanks for the CCV and CPS info
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks Mark!

I will look into Tischer BMW and thanks for the CCV and CPS info
Oh Sh!t, I forgot someone mentioned that Tischer BMW no longer ships to Canada... any how you could have the parts sent to Can-Am Mailbox Rentals in Niagra Falls then make a trip to pick them up. I do this all the time for P-car parts, even paying for gas and taxes on the parts at the border, it still works out alot cheaper in the long run, that's how I've been able to keep up with the cost of maintenance on my cars.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

MLue 1 can you give me the details of how to go about setting up a mailbox?

IS it USPS or canada post that I need to call?

Regards,

David
Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
MLue1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
MLue 1 can you give me the details of how to go about setting up a mailbox?
David, the place is called Can-Am Mailbox Rentals but you're NOT actually setting up or renting a mailbox... just shipping the packages to the address (~$5/package) using any of the US based carriers, so Canada post does go there. TIP: This really works well if you utilize the free shipping within the US offered by some of the Parts Houses like Pelican Parts. Here is a link to some info I posted in another thread:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...2&postcount=34

There are guys shipping transmissions and half of a car to Can-Am Mailbox. The work on my cars is mostly caught up so I don't go as often any more; if you use them do me a favour and give a Hello to Bob Seager from Mark Lue.

With all the online maps and GPSs out there someone just pinged me asking the Direction, so I'll post it here: Cross the border at the Rainbow Bridge in Niagra Falls, go a few blocks and make a left at 3rd Street, follow 3rd Street until it changes into Whirlpool Street, continue on Whirlpool Street until you see the Can-am Mailbox building on the right (looks like a white house). Ya...it's within a couple hundred yards of the Whirlpool Bridge but sadly you have to have a Nexus pass to be able to use that bridge.

Last edited by MLue1; 05-14-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
TNation
Banned

ugh if i ever own a 5 series, I dread doing this type of stuffffff
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: