Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Yup. Charcoal with tint and M68's. I'd buy it back in a heartbeat...

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
sski
2nd Gear Member

I've got some feathering on the back tires on the X3. Dealer recommended alignment and 4 tires.

Can I do the alignment now, so the tires do not get worse, and do tires in the spring? I have "winters/steelies" for the winter.

I understand there will still be some vibration due to the tires but that should subside as the tires wear, now the alignment is right.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
carjoe
6th Gear Member

I think if the alignment is proper now, you'll be fine and the tires should wear down properly from here on out.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
I've got some feathering on the back tires on the X3. Dealer recommended alignment and 4 tires.

Can I do the alignment now, so the tires do not get worse, and do tires in the spring? I have "winters/steelies" for the winter.

I understand there will still be some vibration due to the tires but that should subside as the tires wear, now the alignment is right.
In your situation since your tires are already worn abnormally, i don.t recommend you do an alignment now unless you plan to do one when you get new tires.

Reason is, your worn tires will cause the steering to be off once the alignment is done to spec, due to your worn tires not sitting flat therefore not going straight. The tech will usually correct for this (if he doesn't outright refuse to do an alignment at the beginning) so that you don't complain the steering is off. Problem with that is that when you get new tires, the correcting he did for your worn old tires can cause your steering to be off. Then your second problem is that if you don't correct this when you get your new tires, they will also begin the wear abnormally.

You can tell the tech to do the alignment to spec and not correct for tire wear, but you have to understand that your steering wheel might not be straight (ie off center, when going straight) after he is done. Then hopefully when you get new tires your alignment is still within spec and your steering will straighten out.

Either way your taking a risk, I hate alignment issues.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
radi0activem
3rd Gear Member

I got mine done Frisby on Industrial. They did a good job and brought me into the shop to show me underneath (new-to-me car) and then gave me a print-out of before and after specs.

I will bring it there again after control arms are done with custom specs.
radi0activem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #21
sski
2nd Gear Member

Maranello is doing the 4 wheel alignment today. We talked about doing it with the feathered tires and they were fine with it. Like I said, I understand there may still be some vibration but that will reduce with wear. I have the factory Bridgestone Turanza's on it now. When it get's new shoes (spring??) it will be the Pirelli Scorpion STR's. I've had decent luck with Pirelli, and this is a SAV. I'm driving to the cottage, hauling a boat etc...not pushing the 1G envelope on the skid pad...haha.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: