Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

ONT -New DUI LAWS in Effect

-
didn't see it posted, so sorry if its a repost.
just trying to keep max members informed, cause ignorance of the law is no defence

Quote:
Changes target drinking and driving

Drivers face tougher roadside suspensions under new rules

By Joanne Laucius , The Ottawa CitizenMay 3, 2009Comments (15)

OTTAWA — Ontario has introduced impaired driving measures that see drivers with blood alcohol in the “warning range” lose their licences for three days the first time they are caught, with longer suspensions for subsequent occurrences.

“The days of someone losing their licence for a few hours and getting it back the next day are gone,” said Andrew Murie, chief executive officer of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, which began pressing for longer suspensions three years ago.

Before the new measures were introduced on Friday, drivers who registered a blood alcohol level between 0.05 and 0.08 got 12-hour licence suspensions, no matter how many times they were caught.

Now, the same driver will have his or her license immediately suspended for three days for a first occurrence, seven days for a second occurrence and 30 days for subsequent occurrences.

After a second occurrence, drivers must also undergo a mandatory alcohol education program. Third-time offenders must take an alcohol treatment program, and have an ignition interlock installed as a licence condition.

Roadside licence suspensions cannot be appealed, and they become part of the driver’s record. Suspensions will be considered when determining consequences for subsequent infractions for as long as five years.

Murie said the new measures will not affect people who drink moderately.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ch...948/story.html
so is this like bordering on 'zero tolerance' or good? thoughts?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

i say its good, it should be 0. and make more strict rules to pass the driving test too.
AMG_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

I do not undesrtand what they mean by this...?

"Murie said the new measures will not affect people who drink moderately."
Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER View Post
i say its good, it should be 0. and make more strict rules to pass the driving test too.
I agree with the driving testing... I know people who make utterly retarded mistakes on that and still manage to pass...

So... Where is that weight chart when you need it...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

It shouldn't be 0.
I thikn its good the way it is.

0.5 is like 1 beer in a little less then an hour. Assuming youve drank alchohol before in your life and your body can tolerate it.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
davericher20
black and blue

How do I get my hands on the spirometry blood tester (the thing you blow into)
Do they sell those to the public? I would def buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
^ would like to know too. i will have to buy one of these breathalyzers now

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
It shouldn't be 0.
I thikn its good the way it is.

0.5 is like 1 beer in a little less then an hour. Assuming youve drank alchohol before in your life and your body can tolerate it.
Were talking about blood alcohol concentration here, so whether or not you blow over 0.05 is dependent on your size and your liver's ability to metabolize the alcohol. Your BAC will be the same whether you drink once a day or once a year. Although if you drink excessively and damage your liver, that will also effect your bodies ability to process alcohol.
edit: here's a site with those tables http://www.brown.edu/Student_Service...d/alc_aayb.htm
edit2: and a calculator http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...calculator.htm

Last edited by Bullet Ride; 05-06-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
davericher20
black and blue

sweet! i can have 4 drinks in 1 hour and be under, That's what I usually limit to anyways.

edit: yes, there is a disclaimer, not guaranteed blah blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
325isdan
5th Gear Member

as much as I am for this, this law will do nothing. Drunk drivers will drive drunk no matter what the law is. This is just another control factor pushed out by our government.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
enfield
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
as much as I am for this, this law will do nothing. Drunk drivers will drive drunk no matter what the law is. This is just another control factor pushed out by our government.
You hit the nail on the head.
enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
TNation
Banned

I don't think there should be any alcohol level allowed on the roads. Zero. I'm so against driving under the influence.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
sands
3rd Gear Member

I don't drink, so I guess I'll be fine
Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
betmen
6th Gear Member

More control over us, lets bow down and agree with them. *takes it up the ass*

Good work all, still cant understand how someone can agree with these minor changes that make a bigger impact. /facepalm
betmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #15
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
They reduced the legal limit, which is GOOD to keep people who shouldn't be driving off the road, and increased license suspensions as well for those idiots. Granted the penalties could be more harsh for those who are above .08 to keep those who drive drunk off the road longer.

Not enacting a law against something simply because people will do it no matter what the law states: You could apply that logic to ANY law. What the law does is it affects the people who can be corrected by its application. You don't think the average person is going to think twice now about that 3rd or 4th beer, because if they are nailed its a 3 day suspension?? Damn right they will. Last time people were barely over the hangover when they got the license back, now they have to sit on it for a while. 12 hours isn't punishment. I don't know about you, but 3 days would be pretty bad for anyone who needs to drive for their livelihood. "Oh why cant you see that client today?", "Police took my license"... ouch.

As for the government control, I am not even sure where to begin with that... Except to say that's not even an issue here. The issue is whether the law will effectively keep more drunks off the road and I think it will. Not the hardcore ****ing pound 5L into my gut and drive my mustang home douchebag, but the guy who has that one extra beer who is normally a good citizen and thinks he's still good enough to drive... the guy who has something to lose will think twice.

-J
jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: