Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > BMW News
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Gamite

2010 BMW Z2 Rendering

A new, entry-level roadster based on the 1-series and powered by a range of economical four-cylinder engines may be brewing at BMW. The company's board of directors are expected to make a decision on the car by the end of the year, and if it's approved it could be in production in time for the 2012 model year.

Rumors of a so-called Z2 have been tumbling about the web for at least three years, but so far nothing has come of it. The latest reports indicate that the car is in the works and these new computer generated renderings provide a glimpse as to what it may look like.

That speculation would lead us to believe that a range of four-cylinders, including a 120hp (90kW) entry-level model and a 211hp (157kW) turbocharged unit could be on the table for the smallest of BMW's roadsters. A target price of about 25,000 - at least 5,000 cheaper than the existing Z4 - would put it at the more affordable end of the spectrum, but still far from inexpensive. The soft-top Roadster would be fairly light, however, and the thrifty four-cylinder engines would be efficient. This combination would make it an ideal competitor for cars like the Mazda MX-5 and Lotus Elise.

Performance from the punchy engines would likely be sporting, but not fast: estimates put 0-62mph (0-100km/h) times around 7 seconds, and top speed at about 150mph (240km/h). A high-performance variant with BMWs 3.0L twin-turbocharged six is reportedly under consideration as is a hybrid model. Configuration would be as a two-seater with a 'weekender' luggage area, suitable for overnight getaways.

Whether the car is eventually built or not, it won't likely see sales in the U.S. in the near term, as even the 1-series Coupes on offer here are only available with the inline-six in naturally aspirated and twin-turbo form. Four-cylinder engines with turbochargers and direct injection could eventually see U.S. sale, but the first applications for them will likely be conservative 3-series sedans, not sports cars.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/previe...-roadster.html

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
europrince
6th Gear Member

It looks attractive. Small niche market though.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Nick_ll
1st Gear Newbie

Come on! Bring it!
The new Z4 is WAY too big. It's no longer roadster-like. How in the world is it supposed to still compete in the same class as Boxster/SLK being this big?
Z2 is kinda needed I believe as they have made the Z4 grow so much.
Nick_ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
europrince
6th Gear Member

^ The Z4 way too big? not roadster like? are you kidding me???
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

If it's based on the 1 series why don't they call it the Z1?
Is it because their first attempt at the Z1 was a flop?
This could be redemption!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't say the 1 series is a flop, if you have noticed the 3 series has grow bigger with each new generation, this is to allow for the bigger ass sizes of the american. The 1 series is the same size as the E30's and most Canadian's and European's have always found the space good, its just those "super size me" fat asses down south that can't fit into a small car who bitch about them.

The Z2 roadster looks good is the right size!!!! Cannot wait to see them bring back the 4cyl motors and check out the bi-turbo set up for them!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg euro_vs_america-300x220[1].jpg (28.0 KB, 463 views)
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Colombian
2nd Gear Newbie

AMEN.. don;t we all love european girls specially the italian ones!!
Colombian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
towlie
2nd Gear Member

Not a fan of the dinky BMW's they keep coming out with. I see the appeal for women, but I can't really see men driving cars like the Z2, X1, and 1 series.
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by towlie View Post
Not a fan of the dinky BMW's they keep coming out with. I see the appeal for women, but I can't really see men driving cars like the Z2, X1, and 1 series.
how many guy's you see driving around an E30 its the same size as a 1 series guess some people need the BIGGER car to make up for other little things LOL come on even the little Bmw's are mid size cars well except for the mini but you see alot of guy's driving them too
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
towlie
2nd Gear Member

That's perfectly fine, I just don't see the appeal. I understand they're good cars, but I don't find them appealing and I don't think of them as cars for men. Anyone can drive anything, I just think some cars are more appropriate for men than others. I don't drive a big car by any means, but I think the M3 is as small as I would ever go for a car.
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: