Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
summit425
Alpine White

Do I have a right to limit agents number of condo visit per day?

hi guys

currently I am living in a condo and I am moving out end of June.

I am not a landlord btw.

Since I am a student I am spending most of my time at school and no one else is at home.

Real estate agency keep calling me to book an appointment to showing time and they booked like 4-5 appointments per day which is kinda annoying.

I know I have right to tell them to come specific time but am I able to limit number of visits per day?

for example the agent can only make 2 appointments per day. Things like this...

Since no one is at home I am kinda worry about my properties too..

I don't know if this is right but the agent copied my key so he can come to my unit even I am not at my unit. Is this right way?? or giving him a key is a mistake?? Should I take a key back?

I think landlord and real estate guy knows each other pretty well..

give me some advise guys.
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Hm good question. I bet you that your landlord bought it as investment. So sucker does not want to sell due to bad market, now he is doing his best to rent it out.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

This should be covered in your lease agreement. If there is nothing, the place is yours until the lease is up and you don't have to let anyone in (even the landlord) if you don't want to.

Limiting the number of appointments is not as effective as limiting the amount of time you allow the agent to do showings.

No way I'll give the agent key if I was still living there.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
e36_freak
Mostly absent

Send a message via ICQ to e36_freak Send a message via MSN to e36_freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact View Post
This should be covered in your lease agreement. If there is nothing, the place is yours until the lease is up and you don't have to let anyone in (even the landlord) if you don't want to.

Limiting the number of appointments is not as effective as limiting the amount of time you allow the agent to do showings.

you can tell the agents taht you are busy and they can't show it without your permission

[M]i[K]E[][M]i[K]E[]
e36_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact View Post

Wrong.

Since you probably gave notice to terminate your lease, he has every right by the "Residential Tenancies Act" to show the place.

Entry to show rental unit to prospective tenants
(3) A landlord may enter the rental unit without written notice to show the unit to prospective tenants if,

(a) the landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy will be terminated or one of them has given notice of termination to the other;

(b) the landlord enters the unit between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.; and

(c) before entering, the landlord informs or makes a reasonable effort to inform the tenant of the intention to do so. 2006, c. 17, s. 26 (3).
... just move your personal stuff and things of value to a different location, or lock it up in a safe.

If the landlord is getting 4-5 showings per day, then his investment was a good one.
Far from being a sucker.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
AcidSnow
Boss of Bosses

^^^ correct. If you try to stop the showings, you may be dealing with a legal battle, the owner can take you to court and say you potenially lost him a sale. Then you would be a sucker.
AcidSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga View Post
Wrong.

Since you probably gave notice to terminate your lease, he has every right by the "Residential Tenancies Act" to show the place.

(3) A landlord may enter the rental unit without written notice to show the unit to prospective tenants if,

(a) the landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy will be terminated or one of them has given notice of termination to the other;

(c) before entering, the landlord informs or makes a reasonable effort to inform the tenant of the intention to do so. 2006, c. 17, s. 26 (3).
... just move your personal stuff and things of value to a different location, or lock it up in a safe.

If the landlord is getting 4-5 showings per day, then his investment was a good one.
Far from being a sucker.
correct indeed.
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Castel
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Far from being a sucker.

it's refreshing to see someone post accurate information. well played.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Wrong.

Far from being a sucker.
Good info there, listen to the man...

But dude, I'm surprised at you!! No Bold text? No red font? You're slipping...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Well, one way out of it is to simply leave your bong out in the open before the showings begin, the showings will slow down
Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Good info there, listen to the man...

But dude, I'm surprised at you!! No Bold text? No red font? You're slipping...
I know eh.. it was late.

Do your best to accommodate the showings. If you don't you'll be liable if he doesn't rent it out.
He would have to mitigate his losses, but you'd be on the hook for an extra 1 or 2 months if it’s not rented by June and you hindered the showings.

Your best bet is to give the listing agent several timeslots for the weekdays, and for the
weekends. This way, you can expect some kind of routine instead of chaos.

...You are renting it, but the landlord owns the property. It's his. Although the Tenancies act favours the tenant, landlords do have ways around it.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
M3ti Compact

Quote:
Wrong.

Far from being a sucker.
I stand corrected.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
M3ti Compact

Being a landlord, I came up upon this issue again. I remember some time ago I got told by someone on max that landlords had every right to go show their rental unit when they wanted without notice as long as an attempt to let the tenant know, there existed agreement to terminate and it was between 8am and 8pm.

See, the problem with reading one part of the act is that other related parts are missed:

Residential Tenancy Act
22. A landlord shall not at any time during a tenant’s occupancy of a rental unit and before the day on which an order evicting the tenant is executed substantially interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of the rental unit or the residential complex in which it is located for all usual purposes by a tenant or members of his or her household. 2006, c. 17, s. 22.

The landlord has every right to show the unit, and the tenant cannot refuse this under section 26, however, this does not turn into a free for all for the landlord to show multiple times a day whenever they want.

No written notice, does not mean no notice is required - reasonable notice and reasonable effort to provide notice to is still required. Within reasonable notice is the landlord has to narrow the visitation time to a reasonable amount as well (not 8am to 8pm)

The tenant can make showing arrangements with the landlord which are reasonable and afterwards can refuse unreasonable entrys and entries at all other times.

This would have applied in the OP's case, but probably too late now, sorry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: