Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

New paint care

Ok, I would like to hear some input on this topic, since I just had my car resprayed, and would like to avoid destroying the paint for as long as possible.

If Ive understood correctly, I am to avoid properly washing the car for about 1-2 weeks, so I've taken to just power washing it to get the dirt and dust(from the underground garage) off.

It is my understanding that to avoid swirl marks(well, keep them to a minimum, anyway), when washing the car, to use 2 buckets, a soft sponge, and to go in up and down motion, on all flat surfaces such as the trunk, hood, and roof, and in an up and down motion on all side surfaces, such as doors and fenders, essentially avoiding circular motions.
Avoid brushes of kinds, drive through washes, etc.
Correct?

I am planning on giving a good buff with Zymol once I am past the 2 week period.
Anything else I should know or do???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Terry! Power washing is worst for the paint than a regular hand wash. I definitely hope you didn't already do it!

Yes a good wax is good for protecting the paint, also say bye to car washes. Always hand wash your car using the 2 bucket method.

Also look into getting clear bra installed if you want to avoid those stone chips on the 404.

Edit: Congrats on the paint job, pm me when your downtown, ill check it out.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Terry! Power washing is worst for the paint than a regular hand wash. I definitely hope you didn't already do it!

Yes a good wax is good for protecting the paint, also say bye to car washes. Always hand wash your car using the 2 bucket method.

Also look into getting clear bra installed if you want to avoid those stone chips on the 404.

Edit: Congrats on the paint job, pm me when your downtown, ill check it out.
Oops, did it once already, just to get the dust off, why would it be bad? Does it embed things into the paint?

I am considering the clear bra, might be a ~150 well spent.

I am rarely in the downtown core now, but if I am I'll let you know.

I saw you driving up the 404, I was in my g/f V70 R, I honked and waived, not sure if you saw me, i was right next to ya, but you were goign WAY to slow for me to hang around lOl

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I saw you driving up the 404, I was in my g/f V70 R, I honked and waived, not sure if you saw me, i was right next to ya, but you were goign WAY to slow for me to hang around lOl
Yup I saw you!, Waved back, but i think you sped off by then, lol.

The reason for the 2 week waiting period is for the paint to fully cure, power washing it puts alot of pressure against the paint which probaby did more damage than any soap would have done.

Not a big deal, it's more of a safety, just encase type of warning period. Wash it normally and after a few weeks give it a good wax'ing to protect the paint. Buy new pads, n be careful when doing it.

Oh and take some pics!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Thanks for the advice. Will do a proper photshoot in the next little while.

Toys
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

good post Terry, My car was painted on friday, I should be getting the car back sometime this week. Then putting it all back together, and off to RMP for them to give it a spring lookover, make sure everything is ready to go!

Jay
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Ok, so gonna be washing the car today. It has been over a week since the respray and the car is mother****ign filthy.
Products:
-BMW Car Shampoo
-2 sponges- 1 for lower part of the car - one above the door trim.
-2 Buckets with soapy water
-Microfibre cloths for drying
*Meguirs QUICK WAX* SHOULD I BE USING* this or should i wait a little longer??? I will be waiting at least another week before the actual buff.
-ArmorAll Rim Cleaner

Hopefully I will not cause any premature damage, perhaps I will take pictures.

Toys
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Gamite

Most people wait about a month for the paint to fully cure. Try to avoid waxing as long as possible.

I would wait until after this week, since it's a really warm week, just to make sure.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite View Post
Most people wait about a month for the paint to fully cure. Try to avoid waxing as long as possible.

I would wait until after this week, since it's a really warm week, just to make sure.
Ok, I will just wash and dry it then. Won't even use the quick wax spray on stuff to be safe.

Toys
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Gamite

Remember to use all new sponges and drying towels. Its the actual contact of your car that creates the swirls in the paint

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
you sound very intent on having something touch this curing paint.

don't touch the paint... no washing, no waxing, nothing at all.. in a perfect world don't drive it either.

about a month is plenty of time to cure really...

Last edited by theblue; 04-27-2009 at 04:56 PM.
theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Ok, so gonna be washing the car today. It has been over a week since the respray and the car is mother****ign filthy.
Products:
-BMW Car Shampoo
-2 sponges- 1 for lower part of the car - one above the door trim.
-2 Buckets with soapy water
-Microfibre cloths for drying
*Meguirs QUICK WAX* SHOULD I BE USING* this or should i wait a little longer??? I will be waiting at least another week before the actual buff.
-ArmorAll Rim Cleaner

Hopefully I will not cause any premature damage, perhaps I will take pictures.
For the 2-bucket method,
only 1 bucket is for soapy water, the other is just plain water for rinsing out the wash media.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

you can pressure wash it but should stay a good few feet away from the surface- note must have experience) Today's paints are pretty much cured right from the heat booth with the hardeners and chems they use. Check the body shop just to make sure. But to be on the safe side. Avoid any washing that requires touching the surface. at this point, a good coat of high quality wax is good enough. There are professional products out there you can get. The one I used which I used to charge was Permaplate paint protection. Sealer and paint renewer application. The kit comes with a wash concentrate which strips any wax or coating on the paint. Sealer goes down to lock in to bind polymers to paint. Then the renewer is applied each time like a wax after each wash. When I did the application at bmw I was charging 300.00 privately. This is typically sold with new cars as a perk, like floor mats and the price is around 700.00.
You put this on and then on top apply a nice polish and or wax and the car looks like glass.. I would do this right after polishing a car for customers...better then showroom finish... You can find product perhaps compatible with permaplate. I don't believe it is sold to the public over the counter. Things might have changed since. if you get a dealership to apply it for a used car they even give you a 3 year warranty as long as you adhere to the application. But you'll have to pay the premium. I believe most dealers carry the product just with different packaging.

good luck.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Depends on the paint manufacturer, but if you were to contact them you'd probably get an answer somewhere between 30-60 days... some even say 90 but that's probably overkill just to make sure their asses are covered because unless it's a trailer queen/weekender I'd want some wax/sealant on much sooner than 90 days.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

So I washed it, as per the methods.
PAINT IS STILL ON! Yay! HAHA Don't think I created (any) swirls.

What I was upset about, was seeing the ding on my door with two tiny chips(thanks assholess out there), and a few stone chips on the front.

Now I am really considering getting the film applied before it gets worse.

Toys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: