Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

E30 question

Hello, two questions for all the E30 fans out there. I own a '84 318i and the engine is difficult to start when the weather is cold and when the engine is cold (basically when the oil & coolant is cold because she hasn't been started in a while). She does crank and will run once started, just have to give her some gas to get thing purring.

So I've changed the intake bellow, replaced a leaking oil pressure sensor, ensured all clamps were secure on visible engine bay hoses, checked air intake filter, and and now she's running better. But, still not optimal.

The issue I'm experiencing is a surge while accelerating which mostly occurs when going uphill. Furthermore, when in the cabin there is a noticeable but interment ugggh sound coming from beneath the rear passenger seat every 2-5 seconds.

Any thoughts on what's creating the surge and/or ugggh sound?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
echo
e30 slave

Fuel pump issue maybe?????
Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

fuel pump is under your rear seat and the only thing that would make noise, Where about are you I have a new one that was never used in the garage.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

richie_s999 I'm located in Atlanta, GA. I had the in-tank fuel pump replaced approximately 5 years ago but the fuel filter and main fuel pump hasn't been replaced since I've been the owner.

So if it is the fuel pump is it normal for someone in the cabin to hear the fuel pump cycling while the vehicle is idling? Also, is there anything else I can try or do before replacing the $200 fuel pump?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
The Sly
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
richie_s999 I'm located in Atlanta, GA. I had the in-tank fuel pump replaced approximately 5 years ago but the fuel filter and main fuel pump hasn't been replaced since I've been the owner.

So if it is the fuel pump is it normal for someone in the cabin to hear the fuel pump cycling while the vehicle is idling? Also, is there anything else I can try or do before replacing the $200 fuel pump?

Yes Yes..On this 318i and other e30's they had issues with the fuel returning into the tank and originally they had a one way valve or trap on the fuel line near the fuel filter.
Sometimes the fuel pump wont keep the pressure in the line,but don't chage it.

BMW sells a kit for this problem for all E30's and it is very cheap. "around $10 to $20
I can't remember what the part number is but this kit is installed right at the fuel pump on top of the tank.
It prevents the fuel to return in the tank and keeps the fuel pressure up in the line so that it start easily even after a very long time.

hope this helps

Sly
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I have had my car for 2 years, only time I heard the pump was with the back seat removed(was changing the seat and had it out for a day), you shouldn't be able to hear it with the seat installed.

change the in line fuel filter first, if you have never changed it who knows if the previous owner ever did. they should be change every 48000km(30000miles) it might be restricting flow, and the pumps working harder to get the fuel moving.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

I just ordered some parts I'm going to change the fuel filter and test some of the ignition system electronics this weekend or next week (depends on the weather and free time).

Uhh these cars are a love-hate relationship...you love them when they're working fine...you hate them when they aren't! BMW should be sued for making these damn cars so addictive. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

OK I have not been able to put the new fuel filter in and test fuel pressure. However, using a mechanics stethoscope I was able to determine a few lingering air leaks one was the usually culprit for E30's the idle control valve. Using the stethoscope I also listened to the injectors and valve tones. The injectors and valves sounded normally (to my ear), didn't notices any erratic ticking sounds.

Based on the sound tests performed, that fuel pump sound mentioned before appears to be coming from the fuel pump outside the car located just in front of the LR wheel. Will not know for sure until the rear seat is removed.

I did attempt to remove the rear seat just to check the in tank pump but one of the nuts holding the seat is stripped. Any ideas on how to remove a stripped nut? Also, I haven't checked yet but does the Bentley or Hays manual detail how to test the fuel pressure?

Last edited by BladeRunner; 05-02-2009 at 03:12 PM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

there are no bolts holding the rear seat cushion down. unless that model is different?
there are two hanger type latches which you have to unhook. Push the seat cushion towards the back away from you and pull up. This should release and then do the other side. you don't need to take the seat back off to get to the fuel pump. Now if you are referring to the seat back. Yes there is one bolt holding each down along the side if this is what you mean? Take a vise grip, clamp on and turn as you pull. This bolt goes straight into the body so it's not really anchored to anything. They strip easy.

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
BladeRunner
4th Gear Member

On my model there are two bolts where the arrows on this page point http://e30.bmwdiy.info/rear-seat-removal/index.html. I wasn't sure if these bolts were for securing the rear seat bottom but it made since to me.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

yes, those are the two I think he was meaning...

I think I've had 14 bmw's in 4 years.
2 IX's -sold and parts
2 325i 4 dr - sold
4 318is all white - sold and parts
1 87 325is red - parts
1 89 325i vert grey - parts
1 90 325is white - keepin
1 87 325i vert -red - keepin
latest addition 1 88-325is red - parts
latest addition 1 89-325i vert - white -fixin/sold
latest addition 1 92-318i vert - blue - parts
latest addition 1 87 325is blk - parts.

latest addition as of 2013-Gold 87-325is auto! it's a keeper!
Ceeker is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: