Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 289
Last time I checked, importing a E39 M5 entailed a $3000 Green tax on top of all the other taxes. That's no small figure in my book.
__________________


E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
Last time I checked, importing a E39 M5 entailed a $3000 Green tax on top of all the other taxes. That's no small figure in my book.
WTF
hahahaha show me where you have to pay that? Not true at all, man.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 289
I may have misinterpreted the law or not but there are exceptional cases it could still apply if I'm reading this right but, you are correct, I did not fully research this because I'm looking to sell one not buy one. Does make it more attractive though without a green tax.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/etsl64/etsl64-e.pdf

For imported vehicles, the tax will only apply to automobiles put into service on or after March 20, 2007.
An automobile is considered to be put into service at the earliest of:
• the date the automobile is registered with a motor vehicle authority;
• the date it is plated;
• the date on which the automobile’s warranty has been put in place; or
• the date the automobile is appropriated by a dealer for their own use.
* Certain automobiles known as flex-fuel vehicles are capable of using both E85 ethanol and unleaded gasoline. For
purposes of this tax, only the unleaded gasoline fuel-efficiency rating will be used.
Imposition of Excise Tax on Fuel-inefficient Vehicles
3
The onus is on the importer to provide proof acceptable to the Canada Border Services Agency to
demonstrate the date on which the automobile entered into service for purposes of tax determination.




Tax on an E60 M5 could be $3K or $4K
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/tms/lst_vh-eng.html
__________________


E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
I may have misinterpreted the law or not but there are exceptional cases it could still apply if I'm reading this right but, you are correct, I did not fully research this because I'm looking to sell one not buy one. Does make it more attractive though without a green tax.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/etsl64/etsl64-e.pdf

For imported vehicles, the tax will only apply to automobiles put into service on or after March 20, 2007.
An automobile is considered to be put into service at the earliest of:
• the date the automobile is registered with a motor vehicle authority;
• the date it is plated;
• the date on which the automobile’s warranty has been put in place; or
• the date the automobile is appropriated by a dealer for their own use.
* Certain automobiles known as flex-fuel vehicles are capable of using both E85 ethanol and unleaded gasoline. For
purposes of this tax, only the unleaded gasoline fuel-efficiency rating will be used.
Imposition of Excise Tax on Fuel-inefficient Vehicles
3
The onus is on the importer to provide proof acceptable to the Canada Border Services Agency to
demonstrate the date on which the automobile entered into service for purposes of tax determination.




Tax on an E60 M5 could be $3K or $4K
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/whtsnw/tms/lst_vh-eng.html
that's brutalll. I haven't imported a car that new yet to have to deal with that. I really like your M5, do you drive it much?
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 289
I don't often drive her. Usually only for grocery runs and road trips.

I used to put the M5 up on a pedestal until I got one. It's great at what it does but, heck, I think I'm still trying to find my driving style or it's a moving target... and I think right now it's somewhere in between a stockish STi and a built EVO. Maybe a stockish EVO.

I just love the sound of turbos. Anyway, the final nail in the coffin for me was when HPF dropped their E39 M5 plans.
__________________


E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #21
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
I don't often drive her. Usually only for grocery runs and road trips.

I used to put the M5 up on a pedestal until I got one. It's great at what it does but, heck, I think I'm still trying to find my driving style or it's a moving target... and I think right now it's somewhere in between a stockish STi and a built EVO. Maybe a stockish EVO.

I just love the sound of turbos. Anyway, the final nail in the coffin for me was when HPF dropped their E39 M5 plans.
well you can import an 04 STI still even with the current exchange rate for around $21-$22k, so if you sell your M5, you can get a nice one and build it.
I've driven an E39 M5 once, it was a blast.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
well you can import an 04 STI still even with the current exchange rate for around $21-$22k, so if you sell your M5, you can get a nice one and build it.
I've driven an E39 M5 once, it was a blast.
I already have an STi swapped Impreza and a built EVO. That's the chief reason I'm selling my M5. It's like playing the "which one does not belong" game with no clear cut answer because there's no right answer and no wrong answer.
__________________


E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
theblue
old school US member.
 
theblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 647
Send a message via AIM to theblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
there econimy is the worst in the world, where ours is still one of the strongest.
LOL for multiple reasons

- An American.
__________________
02 BMW X5 // 97 BMW 328iC // 89 325is w/ M50 swap // 06 Audi A3 w/ APR stage II
theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #24
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmojo View Post
I already have an STi swapped Impreza and a built EVO. That's the chief reason I'm selling my M5. It's like playing the "which one does not belong" game with no clear cut answer because there's no right answer and no wrong answer.
haha oh wow. That's crazy. You're pretty lucky man.
I wish I had any of your 3 cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue View Post
LOL for multiple reasons

- An American.

LOL for so many reasons about your economy being 'the weakest in the world'
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
theblue
old school US member.
 
theblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 647
Send a message via AIM to theblue
the American economy is FAR from the weakest in the world.
the Canadian economy is FAR from the best.

the Canadian dollar matches the US one for a couple months and you go and get a big head...

well it's already back to 1.2 CAD to 1 USD and my lap dances up in Canada are getting cheaper weekly =)
__________________
02 BMW X5 // 97 BMW 328iC // 89 325is w/ M50 swap // 06 Audi A3 w/ APR stage II

Last edited by theblue; 04-16-2009 at 10:15 PM.
theblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
TNation
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto/Calgary
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue View Post
the American economy is FAR from the weakest in the world.
the Canadian economy is FAR from the best.

the Canadian dollar matches the US one for a couple months and you go and get a big head...

well it's already back to 1.2 CAD to 1 USD and my lap dances up in Canada are getting cheaper weekly =)
haha no kidding man
you can buy a lot of things here in Canada with your dollar here. Not that we make anything amazing though besides maple syrup
KIDDING EVERYONE
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014