Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

1300 Miles To Detail A Car?

Yessir!

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...aser-year.html
HoldenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
zackman17
Banned

nice man..so you went down south for the winter for work?
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

post pics! or link to thread with more pics than that one
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
HoldenC
Pro Mobile Detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman17 View Post
nice man..so you went down south for the winter for work?
For a few weeks, yes. I'm actually still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
post pics! or link to thread with more pics than that one
I have over 1000 pictures to sort through. This was just a sneak peek at what I've been working on. If you need pictures, you can have a look at a quickie detail I did on an S430.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...edes-s430.html

Normally, I probably wouldn't post a 1-step correction but since it's tied to the trip and the owner of the Lambo, I thought I would share.
HoldenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
gmblack3
1st Gear Newbie

Holden, Maybe you can rename this thread 1300 miles to damage a car and not be responsible.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/hot-tub...-question.html

This is a post from the owner of the Lambo that Holden screwed up:

http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...24-post45.html
gmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Oh snap!

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
zackman17
Banned

Thumbs down

wow i am extremly dissapointed with all of the things i have read tyler... i dont know what to say i am speechless. I will not be taking any of your "profesional" detailing courses. Everyone makes mistakes, but to not admitt your mistakes, then not reply to your customer after you had damaged his lambo. I dont know what to say, i would appreciate to have no further contact with you, please do not call or msg me.
zackman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

^ Very true, seems like he has completely disappeared now.
I had contacted him previously and the quote I received was astronomical.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
ahahhahhahahahahhah.... I forsee this getting good.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
It's already so good

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I just read through the whole thread.... the story is spreading through the internet car forums like wild fire. Tax evasion, fraudulent business practises, damages caused....
Old 02-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Owner posted:

Hello Gentlemen, I own the Lambo that is being discussed.

Todd referred me to this thread and what a thread it is.

You all bring up some really good questions and make some solid points.

Why wasn't I more diligent in checking the credentials of the person that worked on my car? Because I am human and I made a mistake. I had seen Todd's work on an orange Gallardo on another site and I was blown away. Saying that I am a detailing novice is an understatement but even I could see that his attention to detail and his craftmanship left nothing to be desired. It was astounding. When I was contacted by the other detailer (who noticed me asking some detailing questions on the same site) and he also mentioned working on an orange Lambo, I assumed it was Todd and off we went. He would try to work a pitch to me but I assured him that based on what I had seen, I was sold. My main concern was time and me not being able to use the car because he wanted to do the work through Christmas and New Years.

So even if it was Todd, why wouldn't I have checked him out? Because I assumed (the word of doom) in some twist of logic that if Todd could have a monster thread on a reputable and widely viewed forum and not one person is calling him out or objecting (like what is happening now), he probably is leaving a wake of satisfied customers. If he wasn't any good and was exposing himself, his business would risk irreparable damage.

The other thing working against me, like all of us, was lack of time. I am single father running multiple business along with some other interests. After I made my assumptions I made up my mind and that was that.

In business, I pay strict attention to detail and I am extremely diligent about all aspects of it. However, this car is not business to me. It is one of the few outlets that I have that just have to do with having fun. So along with everything else, I was caught up in the excitement of having this work done.

I am not sure that the detailer that worked on my car was actually trying to impersonate Todd. However, when I talked him that I had seen his work on the previously mentioned website, he never corrected me. Surely he knew exactly what I was talking about.

I paid more than $4500 when you include travel and expenses. I also paid to have the entire clear bra taken off and redone based on his recommendation. This was when I started to notice things weren't "perfect" (in quotes because he was calling his service to my car "perfection"). When he asked for my permission to take the bra off I told him it was ok contingent upon him having a person on hand to put a new bra on without missing a beat. Later, when I found him taking the bra off I asked him the person would be here to put the new one on and he said he was working on it. So everything was not going according to plan. He also had a much harder time getting the bra off then he said he would.

The guy from Iceland... I was told that their was a guy who was in Florida on vacation and if it would be ok with me would like to see the work that was being done. I was told the Icelander was interested in detailing as a profession and wanted to see how someone of my detailer's stature performed. I was shocked to see an actual picture of the Icelander using the grinder on my car. That did not happen while I was present nor was I asked to give my permission on it. That was completely irresponsible but I guess par for the course.

About Todd and the others volunteering to fix what was done... I think it is a wonderful gesture but before this was brought to my attention I had already mentioned to Todd that I would look forward to him working on my car as part of a normal business transaction. I am not looking to parlay this into getting something for free and I am not asking for sympathy. This entire situation would have been avoided if I didn't agree to it in the first place.

Someone mentioned that I may have been looking to save a buck? Quite the contrary. I believe work like this is almost like a work of art, which is very hard to put a price on. I believed I was getting "Perfection", as my service was called, and I was willing to pay for it. I would never dream of cutting corners with a car like this...

Someone mentioned the cost of the trim. That would be $6100. Lambo Orlando(local dealer, I find to be reputable with top notch service), cannot replace the trim without replace the rear side windows too. It is a package deal. It is an exorbitant amount but it would be a shame to have this beautiful car with window trim that looks like it came off an '89 Stanza. I really don't have much of a choice. I did forward the invoice along with Lambo's point of contac information to the guilty party and have had no response. I told the guilty party that I had authorized Lambo to speak freely with him and he could deal with them directly and still received no response.

I learned my lesson to say the least. I work very hard for my money (IMO of course) so I don't take this situation at all lightly but I don't think there is anything else I can do so I will try not to lose sleep over it. What gets me is that Tyler basically ruined his reputation, which to me seems like it was worth alot more in the detailing community then any amount of money I have mentioned.

Thanks again, gentlemen, (and ladies?) for your interest in seeing that there is retribution to be paid (LOL at the pictures) and your willingness to help me out of my mess. You all seem like good bunch...

The internets a crazy place.

Stanceiseverything.com
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

Holy shit, this got a lot of attention.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

I always assumed this guy wasn't as great as he claimed to be.

1. He knew that he wasn't allowed to work in the US (not giving the guy the requested tax receipt)
2.he didn't fix the problems he created.

I'm sure he could of easily worked out a deal with the owner, who seems like a very reasonable person, to solve the situation, but instead he chose to ignore it.

He majorly screwed himself over with this one.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #15
dulak
2nd Gear Member

Wow, I have been paying attention to Holden's detailing threads. He seemed fairly knowledgable for a detailer.

I am just an amateur when it comes to detailing and I know well enough that I am not skilled to use a rotary to polish my car and leave it to the pros. I know well enough to wax.

But I saw one of his detailing videos on youtube and even an amateur like me cringed at the way he was using the rotary to polish a car.

Glad I saw this thread and didn't end up getting ripped off for a below-par job as I was going to go to him this Spring.

Not a very smart businessman.
dulak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: