Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #16
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

why do people not read before posting. If you click on what he posted, the video card is built into the mobo...i.e. a shared video card, it cannot be removed

and the only reason I say recheck your mobo and how it is seated is because someone else had the exact same issue a few days ago actually and it turned out his mobo was touching the case and causing a short. Lucky he didn't fry anything.

As for the keyboard lighting up, that doesn't mean his pc past post - it just means the pc is now initiating post...if there are no beeps - caps/num/scroll w.e. light you want to stay on will not stay on. So again, the keyboard lighting up and relation to passing post is incorrect.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
why do people not read before posting. If you click on what he posted, the video card is built into the mobo...i.e. a shared video card, it cannot be removed

and the only reason I say recheck your mobo and how it is seated is because someone else had the exact same issue a few days ago actually and it turned out his mobo was touching the case and causing a short. Lucky he didn't fry anything.

As for the keyboard lighting up, that doesn't mean his pc past post - it just means the pc is now initiating post...if there are no beeps - caps/num/scroll w.e. light you want to stay on will not stay on. So again, the keyboard lighting up and relation to passing post is incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriv View Post
the mobo has a built in video card...but i also have an ATI Radeon X1300 PCI

power supply is 450w
Reading > you.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #18
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Such great advice! Poor guy is even more confused.

If you have no sound from your PC there are many reasons, try this link.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...8r04/08r04.asp
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Reading > you.
Sorry my fault. However, since hes not even getting through POST, he shouldn't try the external yet until the issue is solved.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #20
3niDaPooh
Da Dealer

Remove everything connected to the motherboard in the case except for the power supply and leave only the power, keyboard,mouse,monitor connected on the outside and then see if it turns on, if you can see POST then you have faulty ram or harddrive. If it doesn't come on check if there is a green or red led light inside on the motherboard see if its lighting, if it isnt then you need a new motherboard, but if its lighting you need a power supply.

PM me if you need any other help.
3niDaPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #21
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3niDaPooh View Post
.....you have faulty ram or harddrive.
PM me if you need any other help.
If it's faulty ram the system would beep, same goes for the video card.

Last edited by Trouble65; 04-10-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
3niDaPooh
Da Dealer

Well actually thats where your wrong since i've been working at centennial college we've had many problems like this and most of the time is just reseating the ram chips back into the slot or one of the few suggestions that I had earlier. The system does not neccessarily need to beep since some bios chips have different beeps or none at all depending on the type and coding irq's for the componets being used. As for the video card it will beep if there is an issue with it.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #23
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Well actually thats where your wrong since i've been working at centennial college we've had many problems like this and most of the time is just reseating the ram chips back into the slot or one of the few suggestions that I had earlier. The system does not neccessarily need to beep since some bios chips have different beeps or none at all depending on the type and coding irq's for the componets being used. As for the video card it will beep if there is an issue with it.
I guess being in this industry since 1984 and have built well over 1500 computers I'm wrong.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #24
Blades
Your opinion is to long

its either your motherboard or powersupply ..

im leaning more towards powersupply being unefficient enough.

thats why you get no beeps ..

I believe 1xx POST error code is motherboard and you would usually see that on your screen. but 450w is really low .. for what you have I would get 550w minimum.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown

Last edited by Blades; 04-10-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #25
3niDaPooh
Da Dealer

as said above, this is true but you wont always get a beep code since some of the newer quad core boards came out some only give 'tones' and error codes and certain beep codes for problems. And if you need a PSU, techdirect has a sale one the 550 watt V2 PSU for $16.99.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
BigD
the misanthropist

My bet would be your ram isn't seated fully. EDIT: sorry misread that as "beeps" not "no beeps". Try removing your ATI card and make it work off the on-board first.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #27
slimjim
Almost Sideways

can u take a pic of ur mobo in the computer tower?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #28
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
as said above, this is true but you wont always get a beep code since some of the newer quad core boards came out some only give 'tones' and error codes and certain beep codes for problems. And if you need a PSU, techdirect has a sale one the 550 watt V2 PSU for $16.99.
$550w for $16.99 WTF?

You are better off buying a name brand 425w for $30 not only will it be less prone to power surges but also give you more power.

In my personal PC I have;
9 Hard drives
2 x 8500GTX Video cards
8GB memory
4 dvdrw
8 fans
TV Tuner card
1 System fan controller

All of this is running on a OCZ 450w PS that's almost 5 years old, no name brand 600w PS from Tigerdirect, futureshop etc won't even power up my system.
I dont understand why people keep giving advice on something that they don't understand.

The power supply is the most single component in your PC, it's like running a 94 Octane tuned chip on 87 Octane fuel.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #29
344i
5th Gear Member

lul at this thread. I ll restate again:

IF THE KEYBOARD FLASHES LIGHTS WHEN THE COMPUTER IS TURNED ON ( WHICH IN THIS CASE, IF YOU READ, IT DID):
1. Motherboard works , the lights flashing means it just passed its self PRE-post test
2. Powersupply WORKS FINE, the motherboard would refuse to do a pre test otherwise
3.DEAD RAM OR CPU.

Its pretty simple.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #30
daveyto
2nd Gear Member

try ubuntu bootdisk and test your ram...but sometimes the board doesnt like the ram. is it 533 or 667...someytimes you can mix diff speed ram...sometimes not
daveyto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: