Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
BabyHerc
2nd Gear Member

Salt deposits and water problems

Does anybody have any recommendations for removing salt deposits from the inside of my car? Mostly around my gas and brake pedals. Steam cleaner rental from a grocery store?

I also have another problem. I removed my floormats from the backseat yesterday to do some cleaning, and when I put pressure on the floor of the backs seat of the car (e.g. body-weight), I get craploads of water spewing from the holes that keep the rear floormats in place. How would water get in there? More importantly, how do I get it out?
BabyHerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

for the salt stains, i would use water and woolite, the laundry detergent, mixed 8:1 (8 parts water, 1 part woolite) and a stiff brush.

for the 2nd question, you probably have a defective vapour barrier. try vacuuming out the water and seeing if it returns again. (just make sure you clean that area so it doesn't mold, etc)
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

you can try CLR for the salt and let it soak for a bit- use a stiff brush to break it down as suggested. Do a colorfast test first to make sure it doesn't fade carpet.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
SlammedM3
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt use CLR - use a carpet cleaner and water and vacuum. Just keep doing it until salt dissapears and the carpet becomes soft again
///M3 MODS LIST: *Eisenmann Race Exhaust*H&R Sport Springs*20" 360 Forged SPEC 5ive (Brushed Aluminum w/ chrome lip)*Rogue Engineering Pulley*AA Short Shifter*AA Software*Vorsteiner CF Front Lip*Vorsteiner CF Rear Diffuser*CF Rear Lip Spoiler*CF Kidney Grilles*CF Side Vents*RPi Air Scoops*AA Air Filter*

SlammedM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Gamite

Also, use warm water, it will help dissolve the salt if it's really caked on. CLR seems a bit harsh for your carpets.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Ceeker
Parts hoarding partner...

I've used CLR and it didn't do anything to harm the carpets personally.

Sure, you can use all of the above and they all work, but how much time do you have(grin)
Take a saturday afternoon out for yourself. caked on thick salt - gonna take a few hours for sure. mostly lots of elbow grease.
Ceeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Gamite

I have all the time in the world for my car

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: