Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
Tekals
DIYer

Trouble Starting 318 is

Hi, I've been having some trouble starting my bimmer lately, it began by a simple no response when turning the key to start, like if i wasnt doing my "anti-theft security". It wasnt that bad at first, I just shorted the starter to make it turn a bit, go back inside the car and it would usually work.

At the moment, it got really worst, now when i try to start, it does way more than just not starting, It does a small noise and I lose everything electrical, meaning it shuts down everything and even if I turn switch on/off, i dont get back any lights in my dash.... To get it back i think i could unplug battery... but still it does the same each time...

At first i thought it was my starter, I took it out and tried it on a battery... worked fine... had little rust on them, i fixed this before putting it back hoping it could be a bad contact. WRONG, still does the same &?%/ again...

Do you guys have any suggestion? My bro thinks it could be a bad key switch, what you guys think?
Tekals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Bad ground?
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Tekals
DIYer

Where are the grounds on the engine? I've seen one on the rightside near exhaust, but it looks fine... any other grounds i should check?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Tekals
DIYer

Took the starter out again, tried it again and again, looks to be alright but sometimes the contact looks hard to get to make it run. Although, i took out the starter switch with all the connections, couldn't find an electric scheme about it but we tested it in all positions and it looked to work fine. The "starting" position gives voltage on one of the wires but it seems that the signal doesnt reach the starter... where could it be dying?, it is a mess of wires under the dash!
Any scheme of the wire from the key switch to the starter? where it goes and all?
Any Idea of where the anti-theft thing could be?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
andicanada
4th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to andicanada
change the ignition switch in the rear behinde the lock cylinder the conact goes sometimes bad and give's you the reported problem
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
kungfucious
1st Gear Newbie

hey guys... little unrelated...
did the 318is come with a power sunroof? i think all i's came with the turn knob and is' came with the power one. is that correct?
kungfucious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
Tekals
DIYer

i beleive it was an option, mine doesnt have power sunroof
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
noid
5th Gear Member

Take a a set of jumper cables and connect one end of the ground to the oil drain plug and clamp the other ground end to the steering rack (dont worry about the power cable). Then try to start it... then report back.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: