Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Maxium
1st Gear Newbie

Question Service History & Equipment

Not sure if i am posting this in the right area but i am sure someone will let me know i have a few questions and i hope someone will help .
First questions how do i go about finding out the service history on our car can i call BMW and which dealer to find out what has been done to the car etc i do have some service history but not all of it and with the new priv-act
not sure if a dealership will do this . Next question how do i know fore sure if our car is equip with a sports pkg we have a 2000 540i shadow trim around windows full power equiped sport shift sport seats my question is on the steering wheel its not a m wheel and has all functions including heat and DSC button on dash and heated seats etc any help would be great .

Thanks

mark
Maxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
magnus
6th Gear Member

Get the chassis or vin number to a dealer and he will tell you all.
Sometimes if you do a search on vin numbers on google it will give you some of the info on version etc.
Best bet is to pop to your nearest dealer however.
Here is an example:
http://www.vehicleidentificationnumb...in_detail.html

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"

Last edited by magnus; 04-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Yup I did this as well, the dealer emailed me scanned pages of the original configuration, they have access to all BMW vehicles, so it should not be a problem.

If they have ever serviced it they will be able to tell you where, then call them and ask if you can pick up copies of the records.

I think Sport models only came as 6 speed?
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Maxium
1st Gear Newbie

Magnus

Thanks for the information i will give this a try and see if the dealer will help me out or not last time i call they really were not much help the onlt time they want to help is if you are buying a new car or booking service .

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Get the chassis or vin number to a dealer and he will tell you all.
Sometimes if you do a search on vin numbers on google it will give you some of the info on version etc.
Best bet is to pop to your nearest dealer however.
Here is an example:
http://www.vehicleidentificationnumb...in_detail.html
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Maxium
1st Gear Newbie

Cool

Jmack

Thanks which dealer did you call and i will call them today as for the sports pkg thing are you sure about the 6 speed only the reason i ask is you see a lot of cars advertised with sports premeium pkgs just want to see what the difference is . I know on the car you purchased its got different bumpers and the m logo's in the doors and also the gears in the rear end are different and also the wheels head liner etc .

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Yup I did this as well, the dealer emailed me scanned pages of the original configuration, they have access to all BMW vehicles, so it should not be a problem.

If they have ever serviced it they will be able to tell you where, then call them and ask if you can pick up copies of the records.

I think Sport models only came as 6 speed?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Well I called the dealer where the car had been serviced before, so they were happy to help. Also since I was going to have a PPI done there. This was Town+Country BMW in London.

If you don't know where the car was serviced before, call the dealer closest to you and tell them you would like to have the service records pulled so you can get a quote on maintenance that needs to be done. If you can trick them into thinking you might get the maintenance done there, then they should be happy to help Then get a quote from your independent and get the work done there.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member

From the FOB the dealer should be able to get the service record..
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxium View Post
Magnus

Thanks for the information i will give this a try and see if the dealer will help me out or not last time i call they really were not much help the onlt time they want to help is if you are buying a new car or booking service .

Cheers

Take it for a service there and when you do then ask him. It always works better if they think they have you as a customer!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Spoose
5th Gear Member

call BMW Canada and they can verify options for you. also they can tell you who the selling dealer was you can call them to see if they will give you any service history.

jmack - Town and Country BMW is in Markham, Grand Touring is in London.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: