Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Duct_Taper

Wheel spacers...

Anyone ever use spacers like these?

I test fit my summer rims last night and they fit fine (see pic), but the fronts are pretty close to the struts. Thinking about getting some small spacers to clear them a bit more.

Is this style of spacer safe? How thick can you go before you need longer bolts? What are the chances of being able use a hub-centric ring as well?

Trying to decide if it would be easier to just draw some up with the hub ring built in and get them machined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (139.0 KB, 123 views)
Duct_Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

I had those exact ones on the front of my e30. I paid 10 bucks a pop down on Danforth. Ordered bolts that were a couple of threads longer. Mounting them was tricky. Either tape the spacer to the inside of the wheel or right on the brake disk making sure its center. Then blot the wheel up looking through the center cap to align, trying to get it as hub centric as possible. Just make sure the spacer is perfect in between the wheel and the brake disk as it will rub on the caliper bracket due to little clearance. I ran this set up for a while, hit every dam pothole and never had a problem

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Hey dude,

I have used them too. The Dealz for Wheelz on Merivale by Costo sell them (some need to be ordered tho) and typically stock longer bolts.

If your wheels use a centering ring it can actually work out really well, since most rings have a standard outer diameter which is the same as the spacers. You can wedge the ring inside the spacer, use the BMW wheel holder to hold in place and slide the wheel on. I have used 3mm, 5mm, 8mm and 12mm this way without problems! Make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs to ensure a good fit.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I have a set of spacers in the garage, 6mm, grab them next time your in town if you want to try them.
And WASH THE CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Duct_Taper

LOL yeah, washing the car today as long as the weather stays nice this afternoon

That would be great if I could pick those up from you - I won't be down that way for a couple weeks though.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

send me your email so I can send pics of them to you
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Duct_Taper

pm'd
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
everlast

Wait.. Duct_taper, is that you selling the TSWs on kijiji? I had emailed about them so I could post them up here, good deal and nice wheels.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
everlast

Oh, I have some 3mm, 8mm and 12mm kicking around if you wanted to borrow some to see what you'd need to clear the struts.

Crazy that ET20 8" rims need spacers; they're very close to the fender too. :o
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Duct_Taper

Haha yeah, those are mine on Kijiji

I don't think they strictly _need_ spacers... they do fit as is. They're just very close to the struts (like no more than 2-3mm clearance at the inside lip of the wheel). Maybe in part because of how much my car is lowered, but I'm not sure.

I may take you up on test fitting those spacers at some point - I think the 3mm is probably enough.

Still need to get some hub rings if I decide to keep them though.

Last edited by Duct_Taper; 04-02-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
everlast

I think 6mm more offset would be asking for trouble. I would run them like this, or try 3mm spacers at the most.

The problem is the tire is so close to the fender, that if during any kind of corner and the suspension moves up, your tire will chew up part of your fender. It can happen with 7" ET25 easily (ask me how I know) and 8" ET20 is 18mm close.

One difference is you have 205/40, whereas I have 215/40, but still.

The 3mms are on my e90 which are coming off this weekend if you'd like to borrow them at some point. I won't need them until I get my wheels on after I'm done the turboh.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
Duct_Taper

Yeah, pretty much agree. I think it would probably be okay to run as-is... I just don't know exactly how much space I have in there, except that it's not much. I'm planning to roll the fenders as well so I'm not as concerned with clearance at the wheelwell - particularly with the smaller (width and diameter) tires.

I might try and borrow those 3mm for a test fit later - I'm out of town from this Sunday to next Friday, but maybe sometime that weekend or the week after at some point?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
everlast

Sure, np. How are you going to roll your fenders? I've been looking for someone with an Eastwood roller for a while but no luck yet.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Duct_Taper

Planning to just use the baseball bat method - if I can find my old bat(s) somewhere. The car needs touch-ups/repainting around the wheelwells anyway, so I'm not worried about damaging the paint.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
everlast

On a really funny note, for anyone who watches Doctor Who. They used wheel spacers inside the Tardis to route some cables, lol.. I meant to get a screen grab from the show I saw it in, but here's a shot I found on the web. To the right of the guy's head. (I think he's a writer or something.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: