Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Lowered car - Clearance.

Dropped the girl sunday, then yesterday I notice oil leaking out. I had my other e30 lowered with the same setup for over a year without issue, 1 day and this?

I raised the car and it looks like something impacted the drain bolt, so I pull the plug - using a spare bolt to hold the oil in. The sealing ring was broken so I replaced it and tightened it back on.

Oil still dripped.

I let all the oil out, and inspected the inside threads of the pan. About 2 or 3 crack lines.... Great.

I made an aluminum plate with a 5/8" hole for the bolt, like a big washer, loaded the bolt with jb weld and bolted it on to patch the hole. I have 3 spare pans anyways, just don't wanna get into that now.

Here is my idea, I'm thinking of putting a spacer plates under the engine mounts, maybe 6mm - 8mm thick (aluminum). This should raise the pan off the ground an equal amount. I don't think this should have any negative effect on the operation of the car, but 6mm higher from the ground will make me feel a little more comfortable when I'm driving.

By the way, I haven't seen any oil dripping all day.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
iignite
2nd Gear Member

you might wanna make sure the fan isnt touching the rad since the fan wont be parallel anymore with the rad. Ive heard stories of broken mounts causing the fan to rub up against the rad, this could be the opposite situation.

For the pan, I would change it asap since the pan is actually cracked, plus, you have a few kicking around anyways.

How much is it dropped by>
iignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

How low is the drop? Any pics?
...I miss my e30

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
W2WDETAILING
Banned

do the volvo mount swap (2 right side volvo240 mounts w/ alignment tilt cut off. saw this on e30tech a while ago. part number# 274111. years 76-93 they are suppose to give you a bit more clearence without screwing with hoses or the fan blade. can anyone confirm my findings?
W2WDETAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

someone on another site was making skid plates that went from the fron cross member to the sub frame. I am thinking of trying to get one myself
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

I'm getting a lowtec 60/50 drop soon. That's gunna need a skid plate lol.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

if I had a brake press i would make some plates, anyone able to make some up?
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Fel
Not Banned

Yeah, I'd get a skid plate... guy on r3v makes them himself, you can get a steel one shipped to the toronto area for around $230 or so... probably worth it if your car is low enough to make this a consistent problem. Might be a better option that raising the pan higher... you might throw something else out of whack.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
iignite
2nd Gear Member

i might be able to make some skid plates, CNC or laser cut. I talked to my guy and he said he'll make a sample for me. If its all good, I can make some more for you guys. I can even get it either powder coated or galvinized. Ill let you guys know soon

I'm just pricing out how much material is gunna be which depends on the size, grade and gauge the metal is gunna be.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Michel
6th Gear Member

We have the same problem with my brothers 318is, the pan sits soooo low! Is there someone who manufactures somekind of pan that is flatter or allows more clearance somehow?

Next year I'm prob. gonna do an s50 swap, does the pan on the s/m50 sit a little higher at least?

Otherwise it will be a skidplate i guess! Please keep us posted iignite.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

The Skid Plate

Stainless for the skid plate would be best. It's stronger and therefore could be made of a slightly thinner material, no rust so no need to powder coat.

Of course cost and design functionality are key.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
iignite
2nd Gear Member

I can get stainless, but I'll need to find out how much it is per sheet. At work now so I cant really check anything atm. Ill find out the prices vs material later on
Old 04-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
We have the same problem with my brothers 318is, the pan sits soooo low! Is there someone who manufactures somekind of pan that is flatter or allows more clearance somehow?

Next year I'm prob. gonna do an s50 swap, does the pan on the s/m50 sit a little higher at least?

Otherwise it will be a skidplate i guess! Please keep us posted iignite.
It actually sits super low on E30s..you might shiat yourself when you see it. With my old m50e30 on IE's and stock basketweaves there were a few light scratches on the pan from booting around the shitty streets.

Good thing with the m42 pan is its a 2-piece which makes it SUPER easy to change if it breaks.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Michel
6th Gear Member

^ahh sucks, what about m30? i really want to be able to slam this car! hahaha
i guess it'll be a skid plate....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

When low is too low.

I made some spacers from some spring pads, the thick ones 'upper rear'. I cut the cone section out of the center and punched 3 holes in each. I placed them between the upper strut mount and the strut tower. I think the car is up maybe 4-5mm, it looks better too. This is the easiest way that I can think of to make a small adjustment.

I'll see how the rubber holds out, that stuff is really tuff, and since it's sandwiched in there really nice and flat, I'm sure that it will last quite a while. Failing those I suppose a larger aluminum spacer could be fabbed up to accomplish the same thing, I wouldn't suggest more than say 5mm, unless you change the studs (longer) on the strut mounts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: