Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
llbronzell
2nd Gear Member

Someone to install my stereo equipment

Does anyone know somebody that can install my stereo equipment? Not looking for any shops as they charge a lot. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to dish out.

So if anyone is looking to make some extra money PM me.
llbronzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
elroy
2nd Gear Member

might want to include what your looking to install, and what car
elroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
If you want to come to Hamilton, I'm sure I could get it done for you...
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

what kind of car is it and waht are you looking to get installed

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
llbronzell
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, so this is what I want installed:

1. Pioneer Avic-N3 Head Unit (navigation)
2. 3-way components in the front (needs slight modification by cutting into the sheet metal to fit 6.5" woofers.....from what I understand this requires a dremel tool and metal bit)
3. 2 amps, one is a 4-channel and the other is a mono amp
4. Rear speakers
5. I have 2 12" subs in a box

I have all the wiring for the 4-channel amp (distribution block, RCA's, etc.) and need to get wiring for the mono amp, if someone can guide me on where to get this that would be greatly appreciated. I also need the deck harness and a capacitor. I think that covers it. This is all going into a 95 325i.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
hypno_nls1
4th Gear Member

wow your talking a fulll days work there, i thought you were looking for a normal installation, thats like car audio competition work there

Fear Nothing. Risk Everything.

This is not your everyday, ordinary ****ing beamer!!
hypno_nls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Tom
4th Gear Member

hey

hey man I would get it professionally installed, honestly I was in the same boat as you when I picked up a Alpine touch screen deck with ipod control, Focal k2power 6.5 components, 2 JL w7 10", 1 JL 1000/1 amp, 1 JL 300/4 amp with 2 guage wiring ect.. I was going to have a few friends help me install but it took 2 professionals that do this daily about 10-12 hours, mind you they had to make me a custom box for the subs, installation cost 45$x10 hours + anything they needed like wiring harness/deck mounting face ect... he said the doors alone took 5 hours as it was there first time doing this but even on e46 fanatics people say it takes 4-5! they were installed like this (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=door+speaker) and thats most likely what you were reffering to custom fitting the speakers into the doors, Anyways I would suggest getting it professionally installed unless you find someone whos a retired stereo installer or someone who knows ALOT about installing systems because I showed this to a few friends and they said damn that looks like alot of work lol...
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
llbronzell
2nd Gear Member

^^ I got an estimate of 4-5 hrs, however for the entire install. I don't think professionals are required for my install, just someone with experience in car audio who knows their way around my car. I'm not asking for anything too elaborate (fiberglass, lighting) except for the customization of the front speakers. I actually had this in mind for the kick panels: LINK This guy used a jigsaw and I've heard using something like a dremel, sawzall or air saw is a lot easier.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Tom
4th Gear Member

haha

bro, the doors alone will take 4-5 hours if your thinking of installing it like the link above... I can guarentee what you posted is a minimum 8 hour job... the shop I went with also quoted me 7 hours untill I showed them the website pics and people even on e46fanatics say it takes 4-5 hours to do install just the front speakers...
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
llbronzell
2nd Gear Member

4-5 hrs for the front speakers?!?! check out these links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4ZEegRTaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKEnVdYiJFg&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC1oy...eature=related

So now we're at about 20 min and the midrange and tweeter are in. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not looking for someone who's this fast either but that's what I mean when I ask for someone who knows their way around my car. You see the problem with audio shops is that they have to learn the little techniques, short cuts etc. for every single vehicle that drives into their shop. You have to pay for that learning curve, not to mention the customers that walk in asking questions taking time away from your car and if you're not around they'll charge you for that time.

I know some shops have set rates for each component that you want installed but the second you say something like "custom" like I did leaves room for them to fist you...."here's your price but we'll have to wait and see on the kick panels also". By the way I'm not looking to install all that dynomat in the link above, just duck tape the jagged edges so you don't cut your hands

Long story short I'm looking for someone (or people) who has done this on their cars, friends cars.....whatever. But who knows the components of my car and where better to ask but a BMW forum and as luck would have it I'm local to a lot of these guys. If I can't find someone who's confident they can do this I'll have no choice but to go to the local shops. There's no harm in trying though....
Old 04-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
That's a time consuming install.

Have you thought of tackling it yourself?

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
llbronzell
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
That's a time consuming install.

Have you thought of tackling it yourself?
I have and I even got the "How to Design and Install High Performance CAR STEREO" book lol But it just managed to confuse me even more. If I were still driving my old civic I'd give it try, the car was just an engine on 4 wheels. However, I've never owned a car with an on-board computer like BMW and I've seen all the wiring under the dash when I had my alarm installed.....way too intimidating.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^you dont have to touch any of that wiring to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
T-spec
6th Gear Member

PM sent!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
I can tell you for sure, that that is a full day's install, if not possibly more. I have a very similar setup (I installed it myself), and it was a lot more work than you'd think. Just installing the Avic is a good half day job, as you have to remove quite a bit of the interior to make for a clean install. I'd say do it yourself, or you're looking at around $500 to get it done...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: