Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
jmack
2nd Gear Member

thinking of a e39

Seems there are some deals to be had if all the paper works are in order.

I am tired of daily driving my Miata (has Tein coilovers and is dropped) and am thinking of taking the plunge into the BMW world. Always wanted a e39, specifically the '03 sport but I think it's out of range at this point. The Miata is really for the track and the roads in and around Toronto are just not good to be driving on all the time.

I'm somewhat mechanically minded, have tools and did suspension/rollbar/exhaust/header and number of other things to my Miata. Still have to do brake upgrade, bushing install and some head work

My ideal e39:
2000-2001 540i
6 speed
less than 175k
service records
silver/black int if possible,
$7000-9000+ depending mostly on vehicle history, condition and PPI

Whats the best way to handle the PPI? If private sale, the seller should have no issues doing this right? What's the ballpark estimate on a PPI? Where to take it? What about a dealer car? Naturally I would prefer a well-kept private car with proper services and records... they are out there I did some search on PPI etc but could not find alot of good info.

Looking for recommendations on shops and what maintenance I can do myself, outside of minor engine maintenance.

This looks like a great forum and I hope to be able to update my profile with a 540i at some point

Some ads I have been looking at:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....6&ADS=7540656|

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...8&adid=7460468

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...5&adid=7386711

Blue looks REALLY nice but it has been up there for some time so who knows, maybe they are just asking too much.

Miata pic:

Last edited by jmack; 03-15-2009 at 01:35 PM.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Its funny how they all say its M Package lol.

The last link is the only M Pack
Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado 540 View Post
Its funny how they all say its M Package lol.

The last link is the only M Pack
Yeah this term seems to be thrown around quite a bit
Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

OMG! That last liquid blue one is beautiful!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
OMG! That last liquid blue one is beautiful!
Yeah this ad has been up for a while... I remember seeing it when I was looking at 540's last year. Hopefully it has been sitting in a nice warm garage at this dealers
Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

really those cars do probably have the m pack. not the bumpers. before 2001 it came with steering wheel suspension and door jams maby a few other things that i am forgetting
Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
jmack
2nd Gear Member

shift knob

Yeah the top 2 are 2000's, blue is 2001.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
Qube
5th Gear Member

The seats on the last one actually still look ok. Usually beige/taupe wears badly.

Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Trouble65
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Seems there are some deals to be had if all the paper works are in order.

I am tired of daily driving my Miata (has Tein coilovers and is dropped) and am thinking of taking the plunge into the BMW world. Always wanted a e39, specifically the '03 sport but I think it's out of range at this point. The Miata is really for the track and the roads in and around Toronto are just not good to be driving on all the time.

I'm somewhat mechanically minded, have tools and did suspension/rollbar/exhaust/header and number of other things to my Miata. Still have to do brake upgrade, bushing install and some head work

My ideal e39:
2000-2001 540i
6 speed
less than 175k
service records
silver/black int if possible,
$7000-9000+ depending mostly on vehicle history, condition and PPI

Whats the best way to handle the PPI? If private sale, the seller should have no issues doing this right? What's the ballpark estimate on a PPI? Where to take it? What about a dealer car? Naturally I would prefer a well-kept private car with proper services and records... they are out there I did some search on PPI etc but could not find alot of good info.

Looking for recommendations on shops and what maintenance I can do myself, outside of minor engine maintenance.

This looks like a great forum and I hope to be able to update my profile with a 540i at some point

Some ads I have been looking at:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....6&ADS=7540656|

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...8&adid=7460468

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...5&adid=7386711

Blue looks REALLY nice but it has been up there for some time so who knows, maybe they are just asking too much.

Miata pic:

Sweet Miata!
Trouble65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
TNation
Banned

nice Miata! great handling car man.

only the last 540i is an M pack as people have pointed out... also, that car looks mint. Interior looks great, well worth looking at, good interiors, even if they have been detailed, often show how the PO maintained it. Plus that color is ... sexy
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #11
jmack
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
nice Miata! great handling car man.

only the last 540i is an M pack as people have pointed out... also, that car looks mint. Interior looks great, well worth looking at, good interiors, even if they have been detailed, often show how the PO maintained it. Plus that color is ... sexy
Got some details on the blue 540i.. lawyer owned, service records, all service done at BMW dealer in London. They will take it to a shop for PPI if I ask them to. The place selling it deals with higher end trades etc and the guy was nice. Owner of the BMW was a good friend of the dealer blah blah..

Apparently the front bumper was repainted due to stone chips etc, needs to be checked out. Carfax checks out, no Carproof yet. The rims have slight curb rash which is annoying considering everything else looks nice from the pics. But really I would ditch those for a set of M parallels anyways to complete it

Dealer is asking $12,900, reduced from $13,900. I might go check it out.. just hoping the tax return shows up soon!!

It's a little out of my range but if it's close to perfect given the mileage I would be willing to part with close to the asking price.

More pics etc:
http://carclublondon.com/show.php?id...=Search&page=1

Thoughts? Anyone know of any independent BMW shops in the London area? What is the consensus on BMW doing the PPI?

Last edited by jmack; 03-18-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
TNation
Banned

See if you can get it for $12k plus tax. $12900 is a little hefty.
Yeah BMW dealerships are all hacks, but sure, get a PPI done by them for sure. And its a used car, you can't expect it to be perfect. And one owner is awesome! Get a carproof, PPI, $12k, and double check the cooling system/look for electrical gremlins.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

How many klicks sre on this thing? I didn't catch it.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
jmack
2nd Gear Member

171k :/
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
bimmerjoe
Yagerbombs/skanks

well if the thing has full service history then your golden. i got lucky with my car because the previous owner took it in to bmw for everything including washer fluid top ups.
i bought mine with 200k

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: