Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
moscowpete
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation * * * Need Serious Advice! E46 5spd 330i Owners! Short Shift Kits. HELP!! * * *

So before someone says "search for previous threads," I will tell you that I have, many many times. I am in a serious runt and I need your HELP!

I am looking for a Short-Shift Kit that is specifically designed for my car: *5SPD* e46 2003 330i Sport-Package. There are numerous kits available for the 6spd sibling, however it is very hard to find a kit which is designed to work well with my car.

The dealership reported that there is no performance SSKit for a e46 330i in 5spd, they do however stock a Performance sskit for a 325i. I thought that it would be a pretty straightforward plug and play until I was shown a diagram of my present shifter rod and the 325i.

Below is a picture of a 325i shifter selector rod (Notice the bend in the arm).

This is a 330i Selector Rod (NO BEND IN THE ARM)

The dealership told me that if I try to get this kit installed; it wouldn't work, the shifter would feel like its in the 3rd gear when its supposed to be in neutral. Is this right?

Some say that the sskit should be the same throughout the line up for earlier e46's 323i - 330i 5spd, others say that only e46 328i/330i 5spd will work, etc etc.

HELP! I am tired of screwing around and getting different opinions, WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE ON YOUR 5SPD 330I's? What works?! What is REASONABLE in price?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
sash
2nd Gear Member

Hello my Moscow friend,.. Why not look at aftermarket short shifters? UUCs Evo SS is much better quality than BMWs SS kit. I have a 6 speed model and I got mine a couple of years ago. I love it. They also have kits for 5 speed models.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...shifterapp.htm
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
moscowpete
2nd Gear Member

The UUC kit looks great but, I am only really concerned about the shifter rod + bushing (and the small pcs), the rest in reality is just a cash grab. I am really close to purchasing a Z3 M shifter rod and to get RMP to install it.

Thanks

Sash, are you Russian?
moscowpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: