Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

wow! 129 at-fault cop crashes - stats for 1yr in 1city

-
wow! cops around here can't drive for crap!?

Quote:
129 at-fault cop crashes
More than $116,000 in damages to police vehicles in accidents

By JON WILLING, SUN MEDIA

Ottawa police vehicles backed into pillars, crashed into snowbanks and bumped at least one drive-thru wall in collisions where officers were at fault last year.

The police force disclosed 129 "at-fault" collision reports that were produced in 2008, in response to an access to information request by the Sun.

The names of the officers operating the vehicles were omitted from the reports. Many reports don't list exact locations of the incidents and several reports don't provide details about how the crashes occurred.

When the figures were included in the reports, preliminary damage estimates for police vehicles totalled $116,000.

The force's professional standards unit tracks at-fault collisions. Staff Sgt. Denis Cleroux, head of the unit, said collision investigators first decide if an officer is at fault in a crash. The report is then reviewed by professional standards to determine if there should be punishment.

"We stress officer development when looking at discipline," Cleroux explained, noting the force considers remedial training or, if necessary, more serious discipline such as loss of days or charges under the Police Services Act.

DISCIPLINE

There were no formal police hearings related to at-fault collisions in 2008. Any discipline was handled informally by the force.

Several reports describe police vehicles reversing and crashing into something, usually a post.

One crash, which had a report dated Jan. 22, 2008, describes a collision between a vehicle and a "rock retaining wall that flanked the right side of the drive-thru." The right corner of the bumper was scratched and cracked, costing an estimated $1,000.

Another report entered in May 2008 says a police vehicle wasn't in park when it rolled and its open driver's door struck another vehicle.

Mother Nature appears to have had a role in some crashes, according to the reports.

In one January 2008 report, which noted wind gusts at 75 km/h, the officer felt the vehicle "losing contact with the road" and dropping about six feet into a ditch.

The report says, "The cruiser proceed (sic) in the air for a short distance than slid in the slushy icy snow before eventually breaking through and sinking in the mud. Total distance 50 m."

CLOSE CONTACT

Cruisers had all kinds of close contact with roadside objects, including curbs, cars and bay doors.

A report made in February 2008 tells of a police truck reversing out of a wash bay and striking the door, which hadn't completely cleared the vehicle. The bay door received a dent and a reflector light on the truck was damaged.

At least one snowmobile was involved in an at-fault collision in 2008, which cost $90 to replace a windshield in February 2008.

In November, "extensive damage" to a police vehicle's front end resulted in an estimated $20,000 loss.

There were some significant losses in single incidents, such as an estimated $10,000 in damage to a police vehicle and another $3,000 in damage to a non-police vehicle in October.

Of all the reports, 29 listed damage estimates for non-police vehicles. Those figures totalled roughly $26,000.

There was no indication in the reports if anyone was injured in the accidents.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...50471-sun.html
i personally have seen local cops leaving intersections from a dead stop (got the green) while looking at their pc screens, drifting into other lanes.

Last edited by bmdbley'sBro; 03-03-2009 at 05:54 PM.
bmdbley'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
e36_freak
Mostly absent

Send a message via ICQ to e36_freak Send a message via MSN to e36_freak
lol sadly this happens a lot. i remember getting a call from an RCMP cop who was backing up in a construction zone and somehow ended up sideswiped a concrete pole/pillar could be the same one mentioned in the report LoL...
i couldn't help but laugh after i got off the phone with him

[M]i[K]E[][M]i[K]E[]
e36_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
325isdan
5th Gear Member

I once saw a cop almost smash into a lamp post looking at his PC. His face was priceless when he looked up and saw he was about to smash into it.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

haha, I remember a cop crashing into a school bus I was in. Then he just booked it like nothing happen. Driver got out all confused and called the district near by. 5 mins later the comp came back with his supervisor and apologized. <-cops really can't drive for shit. I don't think they would have any more experience than you or me. 'Except for standard training, which clearly doesn't work.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

In their defense a 100k ins't really that much considering the amount of cruisers out on the street every day of every month of the year. If you think about it, at worst it's 4 25K cruised write offs, which really is nothing.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Wannabe
Northwood.

I should invest in Ford Crown Vic bumpers
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Arash
6th Gear Member

Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

well everyones a dumbass..

id like to know how many of u have made dumb mistakes.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
Fel
Not Banned

Let's put it this way... they are passing legislation to ban drivers from using "electronic distractions" in their cars.... they cause accidents. That's something as simple as a cellphone of GPS apparently. Now think about the cops driving and using full on laptops at the same time.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Let's put it this way... they are passing legislation to ban drivers from using "electronic distractions" in their cars.... they cause accidents. That's something as simple as a cellphone of GPS apparently. Now think about the cops driving and using full on laptops at the same time.
No kidding.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

the difference is they need those devices to do the job that you pay them to do.

im not saying its not a distraction to them.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

^thats not contradictory! What about someone that needs his cell phone to run his business that's always on the road because that what his company entitles. Or a trucker using gps?!?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
sirex
King Sirex

is GPS banned yet? I dont think all models of GPS are part of the ban, though if u can show me otherwise...

you cant compare your job, to a government job insuring public safety. Its not contradictory at all. Youre not a police officer. Tough shit if you cant use your cell phone in the car to run your business. Police needs to use his radio to do his job.
Also I dont think there is a single job out there that requires you to USE your phone IN your car to run your business. You can pull over and do it while parked. A police officer NEEDs to use his computer, and his radio to do his job from his car, he cannot pull to the side of the road to run your plates.

And last i checked they are trying to implement the Plater reading cameras, but People are complaining about that and their rights as well. So there seems to be no limit to what people will bitch about.

on the one hand if they use the computer to check plates, do their job, they get bitched at for being unsafe.
On the other hand if they use cameras to track plates, Its a breach of civil rights.

give me a break.

Last edited by sirex; 03-04-2009 at 05:41 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

I understand your point, but I can tell you for a fact that popos talk on their cellphones all the time while driving. It's really unfair for you to say that this 'someone' can pull over and talk on their phone, it's rarely an option for anyone that works on the road.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
PinkieMoscow
Jumped up G'd up.

^sorry I don't know what I'm arguing =S

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: