Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
eta Epsilon
3rd Gear Member

Which seats will fit?

I would like to know which aftermarket seats would fit in my 86 325e?

I'm not just to sure how that would work. Can you keep the existing rails and brakets and install a new seat over it or do you have to use new rails and brakets that fit with the seat?

Anybody did this before?

thanks

E.E.
eta Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
86coupe30
1990 325is

Send a message via MSN to 86coupe30
i put racing seats in my old e30.. you can make any seat you want work aslong as the base isnt too wide to fit but most racing seats are a general size for this reason exactly. As for rails go, I had to get aftermarket sliders and make my own frame that mounted to rails and the 2 studs and 2 holes on the floor. It was a bit of work to fit them make sure they were both perfect but it was worth it in the end..
but if you have no welding/fab skills .. id say if that is the case just wait and try and find a sport interior out of another car.. they are alot more practical for daily driving and they hold pretty good. unless your wanting the aggressssive look haha
86coupe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
JdmEuroNorth
2nd Gear Member

Anything is possible with the right fab work.

unless you want 2 lazyboyz in your e30.
JdmEuroNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
matty.dc
5th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to matty.dc
lol the best way to go is to get the adjustable sliders that fit the aftermarket seat and make custom brackets to mount them in the stock e30 holes. IMO the factory sport recaros in leather look better than any aftermarket seat.

1987 325is(Midnight Tuning Tuned OBD I S52) - Current Summer Car
2012 Hyundai Veloster Tech- Daily Driver
1985 318i - 1st Car (started it all)
matty.dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Brent
3rd Gear Member

I looked into this a lot, everything I read said that you have to fabricate and weld brackets to fit. Even E36 seats won't fit in unless you do this. I can't weld, but having said that, it didn't look to be too hard if you can. I agree with 86coupe30, in the end, I bought really nice sport seats for the front, leather Recaros from a 325is like mine, and just replaced the old seats with the exact same seats, only newer. If I remember right, I think that you can also use any other E30 seats (coupe into sedan and vice versa), as well, but double check it first as I'm not 100% sure about this. Also, I believe that as long as they come from an E30, they'll fit (ie-'89 seats into your '86).
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I looked into this a lot, everything I read said that you have to fabricate and weld brackets to fit. Even E36 seats won't fit in unless you do this. I can't weld, but having said that, it didn't look to be too hard if you can. I agree with 86coupe30, in the end, I bought really nice sport seats for the front, leather Recaros from a 325is like mine, and just replaced the old seats with the exact same seats, only newer. If I remember right, I think that you can also use any other E30 seats (coupe into sedan and vice versa), as well, but double check it first as I'm not 100% sure about this. Also, I believe that as long as they come from an E30, they'll fit (ie-'89 seats into your '86).
anything except ix seats

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
86coupe30
1990 325is

Send a message via MSN to 86coupe30
I didnt know ix seats were different.. makes sense though alot is different.
As for sedan seats in a coupe they will fit they just wont go forward so you can get in your back seat.
86coupe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

^ learned something new about iX seats.

I installed aftermarket seats in my car. I attached the seats to the factory sliders with custom brackets made out of angle metal and large bolts; no welding, looks awesome. Just make sure you use thick strong material.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
just the drivers seat on the IX is different if I remember correctly, due to bulge in tunnel for xfer case

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: