Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
TNation
Banned

Black Hawk Down

Okay I realize this is an old movie (2001), but I just saw it tonight, and I can't get over how good it was. Unreal movie, I am just rocked. What an amazing movie.. like words do not say how good it was.. honestly was the most empowering movie I have seen in a long time. Ridley Scott captures the Mogadishu conflict unbelievably well. Anyone else love it as much as me?
I went and bought the book last night as well.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
AceOfSpades
♠ ♠ ♠

LOVED that movie!
AceOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
It a typical american propaghanda film, i hated it...Not only it's very racist movie, it completely ignores the involvement of malaysians, pakistanis and not to mention other UN nations. What a shame 80% of americans who saw this movie accept it as truth.

At least Blood Diamond was executed a bit better

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 02-22-2009 at 12:09 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
VSanj
6th Gear Member

^^Well put!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7 View Post
It a typical american propaghanda film, i hated it...Not only it's very racist movie, it completely ignores the involvement of malaysians, pakistanis and not to mention other UN nations. What a shame 80% of americans who saw this movie accept it as truth.

At least Blood Diamond was executed a bit better
*yawn*
it showed the battle from the US point of view. The United States was essentially one of the only countries to help stop Mohamed Farrah Aidid and his vicious theft of UN food and aid supplies. US warplanes and UN troops began a concentrated attack on Aidid's stronghold. Aidid remained defiant, and the violence between Somalis and UN troops escalated, until the point where the US decided to arrest two members related to Aidid (which led to the Battle of Mogadishu).
A Pakistani soldier was wounded when his vehicle was attacked by Somali insurgents. Another Pakistani soldier was also wounded. These were the only casualties among Pakistani troops, meaning that Pakistan was the only country that participated in the battle and sustained no fatalities. I thought the film showed the Pakistani and UN troops helping out the Americans very well. The Pakistani's and UN troops actually didn't help the Americans until the day after the Battle of Mogadishu (around 5am), so I thought the movie showed that very well. The movie showed the US as being grateful of the UN/Pakistani's which was represented by one of the final scenes of the movie in which American troops arrive back at base and are given water by UN soldiers.
What else did the Pakistani's do? What other nations suffered causalities like the United States who were there merely to help the suffering Somali's?

Last edited by TNation; 02-22-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
simplycars
6th Gear Member

All that was missing from that movie was Chuck Norris and John Wayne - just like most US war movies. Glorious US army vs. bandits or forces of evil.
In general, war movies made by Hollywood are based on real events and the rest is propaganda or sci-fi.
e.g.
Saving Private Ryan - Germans using heavy tanks in small towns and elite German unit beaten off with socks filled with explosives.
U-509 - beats me how the poor Germans even managed to use their own submarines, being so stupid.
List goes on...

Only good war movies are Stalingrad, Das Boot and They Were Soldiers.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplycars View Post
All that was missing from that movie was Chuck Norris and John Wayne - just like most US war movies. Glorious US army vs. bandits or forces of evil.
In general, war movies made by Hollywood are based on real events and the rest is propaganda or sci-fi.
e.g.
Saving Private Ryan - Germans using heavy tanks in small towns and elite German unit beaten off with socks filled with explosives.
U-509 - beats me how the poor Germans even managed to use their own submarines, being so stupid.
List goes on...

My history teacher always made sure that any story we learned was set in a context of "the victorious write the history books".

I don't think this is purely for the sake of US propaganda, it just makes for better entertainment. If they made the story the way it really happened, it'd be less exciting than the 6 o'clock news.

In Enemy at the Gates they make it seem like the sniper turned some kind of tide. What turned the tide is the death of almost 1.8 million soldiers from both sides, with the Russians having more determination and cannon meat to throw, in the end. The sniper killed a lot of people because he converted an anti-tank rifle into a sniper rifle - which penetrated walls.

In Apollo 13 they (masterfully, I admit) created a really tense drama in the spaceship. But Lovell himself admits that this was all fictional. These guys are selected primarily for their ability to remain calm as Hindu cows in the most tense situations. No one ever panicked or raised their voice. They also made Swigert look like some rookie idiot, when he designed part of the ship's guidance system and knew it better than most, and all 3 of them are equally qualified to dock the ship.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Enemy at the Gates was the biggest joke ever.
Very nice production values, but overall story is much less a fictional account.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
TNation
Banned

Quote:
e.g.
List goes on...

We Were Soldiers is a better movie then Black Hawk Down? Are you joking me?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
We Were Soldiers is a better movie then Black Hawk Down? Are you joking me?
Realistically it is very accurate - if you do some reading on the subject - the battle is represented very realistically even confirmed by the French advisors still present at the time.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Realistically it is very accurate - if you do some reading on the subject - the battle is represented very realistically even confirmed by the French advisors still present at the time.
i agree its a good movie, but Black Hawk down used some of the actual platoon soldiers from Operation Gothic Snake in filming. Even Michael Durant (captured US soldier in the Mogadishu battle) helped instruct several scenes when it was being filmed. Amazing.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
i agree its a good movie, but Black Hawk down used some of the actual platoon soldiers from Operation Gothic Snake in filming. Even Michael Durant (captured US soldier in the Mogadishu battle) helped instruct several scenes when it was being filmed. Amazing.
The main issue is that most of those movies have problem with being too biased, while attempting to be accurate creating an effect of war heroes being almost superheroes.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
damameke
6th Gear Member

Platoon.. that's a war movie....showed the innocence of young US soldiers...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
TNation
Banned

Quote:
The main issue is that most of those movies have problem with being too biased, while attempting to be accurate creating an effect of war heroes being almost superheroes.
To me, and most of the world, we view those US soldiers as heroes. The US was one of the only countries in the world to fight Somalian militia that were stealing food and aid from the UN and selling it to other warlords for weapons. You should read the book its based on!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Furious
BMW again.

a lot of missinformed people on this forum. it always seems to show. I hate to agree with BigD, soley because hes stronger than me, but hes right, its purely entertainment. If you guys like war movies, than check out Band of Brothers (the tv series) its imo pretty accurate, with a bit of entertainment flair.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: