Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
sski
2nd Gear Member

Cheap Vices

My buddy just got back from a business trip in the US. Brings back two 1L bottles of rum...$14 each. Same thing here is like $32. Ya I know its all tax.

Any way to save some cash on booze in this province? To get duty free you have to be in the states 48hrs, plus the drive, its not worthwhile by the time you're done.

I know you can make your own wine/beer, some of which is not actually bad but I'm a Rum guy.

I'm not cheap, but hey, money is money. You always go the gas station that is $0.005 cheaper don't ya...ha ha.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post

Any way to save some cash on booze in this province?
Comrade,

Get a whiskey barrel from a distillery, fill with water & wait a month... don't forget to mix it occasionally and you have swish, may not taste so great but it does the trick. This is the alcohol choice of the people.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
sski
2nd Gear Member

Ah yes..."barrel wash" as I have heard it called. Someone gave me a bottle once. It was so weak I could almost drink it straight. Maybe they just didn't let it sit long enough.

I could always build a still...ha ha...Kinda too bad you can't make your own like the beer and wine places. I think liquor is a more complex process but what do I know??
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Paint thinner has more than one use.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Castel
4th Gear Member

haha.. just make up for it when you're in the third world. have you seen the alcohol prices in Thailand or many places in Africa? it's bananas. i just buy alcohol when at airports. i'm not about to start brewing my own like a hick.
Castel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
flex_318
3rd Gear Member

I have fermented my own wine on three different occasions producing about a gallon at a time. I did it more just to try it out and i was suprised at the results. ended up costing about $2 a bottle and in my opinion tasted as good if not better than the 10-12 dollar bottles, yeah i know cheap shit why would i do it but like i said i wanted to try it out and it worked out great. Just remember if u do plan on doing this to use wine yeast and not bakers yeast they sell in grocery stores, it makes a big difference. The last batch i made actually ended up fermenting into sparkling wine and i drank it 5 months after it finished fermenting and tasted great.
flex_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
sski
2nd Gear Member

What process did you follow?

Did you go to one of those "make you own" places or did you simply do it at home in your kitchen? A friend of mine gave me a couple bottles of stuff she made at a "make your own" place and it was OK.

If I can dump together ingredients, leave it in my cold cellar, occasionally do whatever needs to be done and I've got a few gallons of "drinkable" wine for the cottage season, that would be bonus.

I know brewing your own sounds "hick". The less I spend on booze the more $$ to keep fuel in the toys (Snowmobiles, Boat, ATV's etc). Look at this way $12 on a bottle of wine...I can run my sled all day on $12 worth of fuel and still come home to my "hick" wine...lol...best of both worlds.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You know you can import booze from the USA right? (You can get booze at the duty free, and pay duty on it. Check though, it may end up being more expensive than it is at the LCBO.)

Other ways to save: There's gov't minimums for booze. To get decent booze at minimum prices, buy directly from the distiller/vineyard/brewery. The only people other than LCBO who are allowed to sell non-lcbo booze are the people who make it. Check out hillibrand (The Wine Shoppe) for great prices on ontario wines. Most breweries (What's the one on bathurst called?) will sell you booze cheap (Afaik it was around 21$ a 24 with deposit last time i went, that was a few years back).

Anyone know if rocco's is still around?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
My buddy just got back from a business trip in the US. Brings back two 1L bottles of rum...$14 each. Same thing here is like $32. Ya I know its all tax.

Any way to save some cash on booze in this province? To get duty free you have to be in the states 48hrs, plus the drive, its not worthwhile by the time you're done.

I know you can make your own wine/beer, some of which is not actually bad but I'm a Rum guy.

I'm not cheap, but hey, money is money. You always go the gas station that is $0.005 cheaper don't ya...ha ha.
same here .. I'm a vodka / rum type of guy. Rum was so cheap in the Caribbean ranging from $8 - $14 a bottle. I did bring back a bottle of the 181 Antigua rum thou .

Everything seems way over priced here except food

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
sski
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
same here .. I'm a vodka / rum type of guy. Rum was so cheap in the Caribbean ranging from $8 - $14 a bottle. I did bring back a bottle of the 181 Antigua rum thou .

Everything seems way over priced here except food
Mainly tax. Next trip to the LCBO you're gonna be pullin' out $32 for the 1.14L or $51 for the 1.75L. Like I said it's just frustrating knowing some guy just across the lake in Buffalo is drinkin' the same stuff for half that price.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
sski
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
You know you can import booze from the USA right? (You can get booze at the duty free, and pay duty on it. Check though, it may end up being more expensive than it is at the LCBO.)

Other ways to save: There's gov't minimums for booze. To get decent booze at minimum prices, buy directly from the distiller/vineyard/brewery. The only people other than LCBO who are allowed to sell non-lcbo booze are the people who make it. Check out hillibrand (The Wine Shoppe) for great prices on ontario wines. Most breweries (What's the one on bathurst called?) will sell you booze cheap (Afaik it was around 21$ a 24 with deposit last time i went, that was a few years back).

Anyone know if rocco's is still around?
I said in the beginning I know you can bring it in but you have stay two days to avoid the duty/tax. Yes, you can just grab it and pay the duty and tax (plus cost of fuel down and back and your time). You're probabaly same as just going to the LCBO. I checked the duty free site and you are not allowed to have it shipped. That would solve the fuel/time problem, but they already have that covered too.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^there are private courriers who will bring in booze, but i use them only for specialty shit. They're more expensive than the LCBO.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
sski
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
^^there are private courriers who will bring in booze, but i use them only for specialty shit. They're more expensive than the LCBO.
I feel like Kramer and Newman trying to figure out how to return aluminium cans to the next state over cause the refund is higher, without eating up the extra profit in fuel costs..."It just can't be done..."

They ended up taking Newman's mail truck, but I think they had to dump the cans so the whole plan was a wash...
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
Fel
Not Banned

I just know that the $12 bottle of wine I get at the LCBO is way better than anything I can make myself, so I don't put too much thought into it. Plus, I can drive to the store today and drink it tonight... none of this "come back in 6 months when it's ready" nonsense.

Man... I could go for a drink right about now...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: