Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Buying Tires

Hey guys,

I got a question for all those tire and border crossing experts. I'm in the market for some new summer tires because the ones on my summer rims right now are practically bald and one has a hole in it. What I was wondering was the best way to get new, cheap summers. From everything I have seen so far, tirerack.com has some of the best prices. What I was wondering was if anyone knows of any other website or even store in the general GTA area that has new summer tires for a good price. I'm looking for some 235/40/17's and since they are a pretty rare size most places don't carry them.

I was also thinking that I could maybe order them from tirerack or some other US based website or even store and just drive down to Buffalo and get them put on and then come back over. For example, put on the summer rims with the crappy tires, buy new ones from tirerack, get them shipped somewhere in Buffalo (problem #1: I don't have anywhere to have them shipped) and then just drive down to Buffalo one day and pick them up. I could go to a local shop and get them to pull off the crappy summers and put on the new ones and then just drive back over the border without having to claim anything or pay any kind of duty because they would never really now if they were like that when I entered.

Has anyone ever done this or anything like it? I'm pretty much open to most scenarios as long as it results with me not paying a hell of alot of money for some new summer tires and I'm not breaking (many) laws. lol

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
just a quick point, currently tirerack does not have a good price considering the exchange rate right now.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

if you choose to go this route you can get it shipped to "USAddress"
just over the border. cheap rates.

http://www.usaddressinc.com
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
just a quick point, currently tirerack does not have a good price considering the exchange rate right now.
Very good point, I completely forgot that their prices are shown in USD on the website. But either way, 4 brand new summer tires for 413.69 CAD (excluding taxes and shipping) is pretty darn good isn't it? Either way, I'm just looking for pretty much any suggestions to ways I can get cheap summers in that size. Thanks for pointing that out though, it does change things a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
if you choose to go this route you can get it shipped to "USAddress"
just over the border. cheap rates.

http://www.usaddressinc.com
I do remember hearing about services like this. I didn't know they actually had a website though. Have you ever used this place? Are they pretty trustworthy?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
I do remember hearing about services like this. I didn't know they actually had a website though. Have you ever used this place? Are they pretty trustworthy?
personally, not yet.

but everytime i hear about someone doing this (not just tires) USAddress is always mentioned.

never heard anything negative about their services.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
marek
5th Gear Member

Try tires 23 in Mississauga. I'm getting a set of Falken's in the same size for $560 all in (taxes and installation incl.)
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

had a complete sound system shipped to usadress inc. last year.... amazing place..

2 MASSIVE boxes. subs, sub box, amp, wiring all that jazz....

cost me like 15 bucks for their service... in and out in 10 minutes flat.

i highly recommend them. the tough part is finding a place to dump the packaging. (no0 dumping laws)

plus its down the street from smoking joe's and the biggest highschool youll ever see.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
had a complete sound system shipped to usadress inc. last year.... amazing place..

2 MASSIVE boxes. subs, sub box, amp, wiring all that jazz....

cost me like 15 bucks for their service... in and out in 10 minutes flat.

i highly recommend them. the tough part is finding a place to dump the packaging. (no0 dumping laws)

plus its down the street from smoking joe's and the biggest highschool youll ever see.
So do you declare your goods when you go over the border??
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Arash
6th Gear Member

this is where I get mine all the time:
http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

you can also try wheels direct in Markham.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
So do you declare your goods when you go over the border??
nooo wayy...

just remove them from packaging...
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Check my sig!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
e30bim
Banned

I use US Address Inc. as well to ship my car parts and tires I buy. If you don't have an account each box you send is $5. Stop being a pussy and buy the tires from tirerack, I don't even know why its a thought. Get them put on locally at a tire shop for $15 bucks a tire and drive home. At the border just say you had lunch at the mall and you went look at TV's at best buy to compare prices and they didn't have anything. That's what I always say. Canadian border control 90% of the time just ask where you live and wave you through, they dont give a rats ass.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Remember to check the dates stamped on the tire. Make sure you are actually getting new tires.

Current : 2013 Mini Countryman JCW, 2007 Z4M Roadster

Past: '88 E30 M3, '69 BMW 2002 Ti, 2000 328i, Audi A6 TT, BMW X5 3.0i , Audi A4, Mini Cooper Clubman S 1.8T
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
I use US Address Inc. as well to ship my car parts and tires I buy. If you don't have an account each box you send is $5. Stop being a pussy and buy the tires from tirerack, I don't even know why its a thought. Get them put on locally at a tire shop for $15 bucks a tire and drive home. At the border just say you had lunch at the mall and you went look at TV's at best buy to compare prices and they didn't have anything. That's what I always say. Canadian border control 90% of the time just ask where you live and wave you through, they dont give a rats ass.
my sister is looking for tires haha great advice for her! Is it just $5 to hold for tires? Do they let you know when the tires have arrived?
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30bim View Post
Yeah, I'm planning to actually do this near the end of April or so, so I probably won't be ordering the tires right this second. How long do they hold the tires and how much is it for them to hold them at us address? Or is it just a flat 5 bucks and they will hold them for a month or something?

I'm also going to check out Tires 23 and Wheels Direct. Maybe I can get it done locally for a similar price to driving across the border. Better to check all the options since I have a few months until I actually plan to do it.

Thanks guys, keep any suggestions coming!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: