Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
sirex
King Sirex

Someone dropped the drama bomb...need advice.

As the title says my friend, at my place of emploment dropped the drama bomb on me/us the other day. To help you understand my situation there is going to be a fair amount of detail here but anyway this is what it is:

At my place of emploment there is a strcuture/ "seniority" structure for getting hours. You are either Unrestricted, which means you are available to work all day thursday, friday, saturday. Unrestricted gets priority over Restricted in terms of hours. Restricted means that on either thursday, friday, or saturday, you cannot work the entire day because you have restrictd your self.

Then there is the seniority status. If X is unrestricted, and Y is unrestricted, then X is above Y because X was there before Y.

IF X was Unrestricted, and Y was Unrestricted, and in the NEW term X goes restricted and Y remains unrestricted, then Y is above X. And if in the term after that X goes back to unrestricted, he remains BELOW Y, so you lose your spot.
You can switch from Unrestricted to Restricted at any part of the term, but cant switch the other way around.

Enter drama.

In April of 2008 we were all unrestricted. However my friend who was at the top of the list was taking classes during the summer and could not work Thursday all day. Because we are friends with the manager the manager did not remove his seniorty. BUT a girl that worked at our store, was doing the same thing and was also unrestricted- she couldn't work Fridays all day. The manager got hold of this and removed her unrestricted seniority and she went into the restrcited pile. She lost hours/etc.

Upon doing this she complained, saying if this is true for me, then he should also be punished. And so the manager punished him as well and demoted him to restricted.
At the time he didn't complain/w.e.

Fast forward 6 months later. Now my friend is complaining saying that sould never have happened because he would have worked thursday if he was asked too. He called the union, and the union and our manager talked and told him that for him to regain his seniority he would need to get signatures from the ranking unrestricted employees.

Thus enters me, and 2 other guys. Im third from the top, my friend is 4th from the top. By him getting my signature he would be 1st on the list, I would then be 4th on the list. Right now its slow I wouldn't lose many hours. But come April I will lose about 10 hours per week maybe more come June. He says that I should sign it because he should never have lost his place to begin with.

I state that I shouldn't be dragged into this at all because if you are right then the union will take care of it anyway theres no reason for me to be involved.

In any case he doesn't seem to want to take it to the union to that point, hed prefer me to sign it. But therein lies the problem. By me signing this paper I resign my seniority to him and in the long run will lose. If I dont sign his paper I screw him over - unless the union can help him. Im very angry about this situation and the fact that my friend would put me in this situation. Also further more if I dont sign it, and he goes cries to the union some more, and some how can win his battle he will be at the top anyway. Which would make me look like an asshole since he would get it anyway. But at the same time if thats the right thing, then why bother me in the first place?

I really cant justify my self signing this paper because it just seems really weak to me. Its like giving your self up, having no self preservation. but at the same time I have a feeling that friendship wont be the same if I dont sign it. Im also thinking to my self, its not really fair that the rules shouldn't apply to him, because I know full well that if I couldnt work X day I would be penalized just the same.

Bah.. I hope all this made sense to you guys.
anyway what do you guys think? and what would you do in such a situation?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Snore. I got two sentences in and fell asleep.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
5thseries
biggerthen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
dry.
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
i did say there is fair amount of detail otherwise the story wont make sense. but why bother posting that you dont know how to read, thats just lol to me.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Allstar_e36
2nd Gear Member

I personally think you should just sign it, but it depends on how good of a friend he is. Plus like you said if you sign it, he goes to the top; if you dont; the union might still allow him to go to the top; the only way your keeping your position is if you dont sign it and the union doesnt allow it. If that happens your friendship wont really be the same, but you get to keep your position.
Allstar_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
ImolaZHP
3rd Gear Member

you're going to get screwed later, don't sign it.

you said that he needed all the ranking guys to sign it right? so did the other guys sign it as well? I can't imagine the current 1st guy signing it and letting his position go.
ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
you're going to get screwed later, don't sign it.

you said that he needed all the ranking guys to sign it right? so did the other guys sign it as well? I can't imagine the current 1st guy signing it and letting his position go.
I'm with Imola don't do it.

It's like saying: "I hereby resign my current stature and demote myself".
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

wow great friend. Id explain it to my friend. He's going to be putting you in a shitty situation. So that doesn't exactly make him the greatest friend now does it. Tell him to deal with the union because it's not fair for you to have to lose out because of his unability to come to work 6months prior!

Jay
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

I think it all comes down to how good of a friend he is...REAL friends are very hard to find, jobs come and go, and its only a matter for a few hours anyways. Bottom line, is he worth loosing over 10 hours/week?
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening mid June!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post

Enter drama.

In April of 2008 we were all unrestricted. However my friend who was at the top of the list was taking classes during the summer and could not work Thursday all day. Because we are friends with the manager the manager did not remove his seniorty. BUT a girl that worked at our store, was doing the same thing and was also unrestricted- she couldn't work Fridays all day. The manager got hold of this and removed her unrestricted seniority and she went into the restrcited pile. She lost hours/etc.
From that paragraph, the manager and your friend are at fault, knowing fully well the difference between Unrestricted and Restricted worker.

To compound this issue, the manager removed her seniority, I see a double standard here and what do you think the woman would do? Of course, she complained about your friend

Being friend with the manager is fine but a policy is violated and the manager and your friend knew about it , your friend should have requested something in writing from this manager to protect his Unrestricted status; or consulted with union prior to attending the course.( I knew its done)

So, your friend now wants you sign a paper to gain back his seniority, if he is really your friend, he will not put you in this situation.

Presumely you signed the paper,, will the other 2 sign too?

From what I had read, you are the one that is going to be impacted the most even if the other 2 signed it.(you will be number 4? below this friend of yours)

Being 4th? how will you be impacted? if you think the impact is not going to be great, then sign it; else use the union, aint that why you pay union dues.

Another option is to negotiate that you will be above him with your signature(is this feasible or allowed by the Union or your company)

Friendship at times are tough when you are at a crossroad... I think your friend will forgive you after he think this through

My 0.002 cents worth..

Last edited by damameke; 02-14-2009 at 05:28 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
sirex
King Sirex

oh ya. its the double standard that bothers me the most. because on the one hand if your butt buddies with the manager u get star treatment, on the other, if your just a worker you get messed up like that. not really fair at all. Ive decided to go with not agree to signing his paper as I dont thikn its fair, both because its not giving people equal oppurtunity, and morally it seems wrong to me, shady deals that dont pan out and people get ****ed in the end.

being 4th instead of 3rd, possibly second in a few months, would impact me quite a bit. For the next month there wont be much difference. Soon as more hours start up, like end of April, it will be an easy 10 hour difference to begin with and probably up to 15-20 hours depending on how much more of a butt buddy they decide to be with each other.

by retaining my position though I gurantee my self steady hours without having to do shady deals that will fall apart like this.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
BigD
the misanthropist

The way I'd personally approach this is by need. If you're not hurting for $ and he has some extraordinary reason why not having the extra income will hurt him, fine. But otherwise, no real friend would ask you to sacrifice your money for him without any dire need for it. So in that case, either way, **** him. If he can't deal with it, he was never worth having as a friend to begin with and you're better off. Just watch your back - but at work you always should, there are no friends when it comes to money, keep everyone at arms length.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
damameke
6th Gear Member

After reading your post, I gathered there is a policy stating on how one
would lose their seniority.. isnt it ?

So is there a policy on how one would gain back his seniority?

Isnt it unfair to the other 3 Unrestricted if he gained back to be number one?; it would be all aright if he can gained it back to be the last of the Unrestricted, then everyone should be happy, even that woman shoud be back in Unrestricted.

Easy solution really if the manager knows his job in the 1st place. What was he thinking when he demoted that woman?? Go figure....
Old 02-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

no u cant gain it back. u can go back to unrestricted, but u would be below... as my X, Y explantation. It holds true for any number of people.

ya big d thats where ive settled at this point.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
damameke
6th Gear Member

arhhh

I see your X and Y explanation, so there it is ..plain and simple
he can come back as Unrestricted but below the 3 of you, the issue now is that he wants to come back as No one.

Based on that you are not obligated to sign anything...
even if you did, he is beneath you.

Period...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: