Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #61
Peterkin
Potential BMW driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdauphinee View Post
Call bimmersport and ask charlie re warranty work, as for bmw dealer letter and cluster replacement try my suggestions bmw is out to screw anyone who is importing one of their cars so be cautious. I understand that there is a class action against bmw canada re the recall letters ect.
I suppose for warranty work though I could just drive it across the border to a US BMW dealer and have things fixed.
Peterkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #62
BSL
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone imported an E90 recently, that can comment on the gauge replacement fiasco?

Im looking at a 2006 330i being sold by a private seller.
The seller has agreed to take it to his local BMW dealer for an inspection on my behalf.

I contacted the durham BMW dealership and was quoted 2700-3000 for a Clearance letter, including gauge swap, labour and fees.

My question is:
Would a clearance letter from the US BMW dealer be enough documentation, if they were to perform the DRL and kph/mph modification?
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #63
pdauphinee
1st Gear Newbie

The dealeer would have to get the rcl from bmw usa, not sure about e90 model but if the speedo is anolog marked with klh and mph then it does not need to be switched. riv will also accept a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry report you can get from the dealer. The dealer I bought my z from e mailed me one free of charge. If you have to change the cluster, try to find a used one, lots of sites with bimmer parts.
pdauphinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #64
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I just imported a car from the U.S. and would like to add a few important points to this thread:

- Make sure you have a fax confirmation print-out after faxing the title to the border. They request that once you arrive 72hrs later. They receive (literally) 100's of faxed titles since you've sent yours.

- The (72hr) three business-day wait is not enforced. I faxed mine Wed night, showed up Monday morning and all was good. According to the info I collected, (technically) I should have showed up Tues morning. Others I spoke with importing vehicles have also confirmed this.

- Do not try and scam the Canada Customs of taxes by declaring a lesser value for the vehicle. They are not laid-back like the local DMV offices and will research your transaction happily since they have nothing better to do. If they find you're lying and can prove it, you will be subjected (up to) a 45% surcharge on the value difference between declared and actual, along with a "flagged notice" every time you cross the border for many years to come. (don't ask me how I know this)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #65
x5guelph
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit425 View Post
I know USA cars are cheap compare to cars in Canada.

do you think it is worth it??

How much do you think I can save avg. (let's say $30000 CAD car)

I am thinking of buying an e46 from states and since I never bought such a big thing just want to know how does it process.

Will they help me to do the paper work when my car is crossing the boarder??
I have just brought an 2005 x5 up from california. I figured I saved at least 5-6 thousand. Key point is to get the letter from the US confirming that all recalls are done. Bmw rips you off if you try and get it here
x5guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #66
pdauphinee
1st Gear Newbie

You will have to price there car here and then there to see the difference, it varies too much. I saved about 7,000.00 on my z3m. Here is how it is done, call customs in canada, give them the serial number to be sure it allowed into canada and if and how much duty will be payed. Six percent is norm, Nothing if car is made in the US. Send a copy of the ownership to US customs 72hrs before bringing the vehicle over. This is very important. Show original ownership and car at US customs, they will stamp it, drive to canada customs, pay tax and duty, plus charge for air conditioning and a RIV fee. Then drive home. Documents are easy to fill out in canada customs office. Just show bill of sale and ownership to them. This is extremely important!!! You MUST get a recall letter to show the the RIV (register of imported vehicles) office. You can also use a "Warranty vehicle Inquiry" report, which I used. BMW is hosing people $500.00 for a recall letter, they don't want cars bought in the US because they are so much cheaper. Go the the riv site for detailed info at www.RIV.ca or if you are stuck call me 416-695-2472. I have imported 6 cars so far. Good luck, Peter
pdauphinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #67
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
I just brought my S2000 from Florida and all in at the end of the day I saved myself about 8-10g's. Imo it is so worth it and the drive up and through Deals Gap was the highlight for sure!
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #68
x5guelph
1st Gear Newbie

importing a bmw

recently brought an x5 up from the US. Local BMW dealer said I needed a new instrument cluster (around 1300), then BMW would charge me 500 for clearance letter.
Received clearance proof in US, A letter on any BMW dealer letterhead will do.
It took a mechanic minutes to reprogram car so lights are always on.
Cost almost nothing.
lets see give a bmw dealer 2000, or spend almost nothing. Your choice, plan ahead
Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #69
x5guelph
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
Has anyone imported an E90 recently, that can comment on the gauge replacement fiasco?

Im looking at a 2006 330i being sold by a private seller.
The seller has agreed to take it to his local BMW dealer for an inspection on my behalf.

I contacted the durham BMW dealership and was quoted 2700-3000 for a Clearance letter, including gauge swap, labour and fees.

My question is:
Would a clearance letter from the US BMW dealer be enough documentation, if they were to perform the DRL and kph/mph modification?
us letter is okay. I used one. do not get the guage swap, a non dealer bmw mechanic can do it on computer
Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #70
damameke
6th Gear Member

From Willyz.ca

FYI:

As of July 2008 BMW and Mercedes very quietly dropped requirements that made importers pay for and procure admissibility letters from these manufacturers at a cost of $350 per letter. Furthermore, the manufacturers have also indicated to the RIV that recall and final compliance letters do not need to come from the Canadian head office of these manufacturers at a cost of $500 per letter. It seems manufacturers have dropped their requirements and allow for federally regulated compliance inspectors to review the cars, as has always been the requirement in the past. This means that we can install km/h speedometers and day time running lights at whatever cost and supplier we so choose.

More info:

BMW Canada began charging $500 per vehicle for supplying recall clearance letters for imported vehicles coming from the USA, as of June 2007. Previously there was no charge for this service.

BMW Canada began charging an additional $350 per vehicle for supplying letters of admissibility for imported vehicles coming from the USA, as of November 26, 2007. This is over and above the cost of a recall clearance letter. Previously nearly all BMWs were admissible for import from the USA, and no such letters were ever required. BMW has also convinced Transport Canada and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles that day time running lights (DRLs) found on US spec. BMWs do not meet Canadian DRL requirements. As such BMW Canada has mandated that only a Canadian BMW dealer can reprogram US BMWs to meet Canadian specs. In most cases late model BMWs will also require the installation of a Canadian instrument cluster and in some cases will require an HVAC control unit (e60 5 series and e63 6 series) to meet these Canadian DRL requirements. Expect to pay your local BMW dealer ~$400 to program, ~$1400 for a cluster, and ~$1000 for an HVAC control unit.

As of July 9, 2008 the June 2, 2007 and November 26, 2007 costs and requirements of compliance by BMW have been dropped. DRL software changes can be programmed at a cost of about an hour's worth of labour using the GT1 computer at BMW. It looks like the $3000-$4000 import cash grab has been quietly repealed. How this may effect any warranty claim on an previously unregistered US car in BMW Canada's system is anybody's guess. Certainly one can expect at least some level of resistance.

Last edited by damameke; 05-14-2010 at 09:22 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #71
brettcfs
1st Gear Newbie

Can any body help with the following questions. This may be redundant but I am extremely confused for what it will cost should I buy a BMW south of the Border. I have been to the dealer hear in Calgary and am going to buy a 2008 BMW 335xi Sedan. The pricing across Canada to some found in the states its quite different. It has said we do need to have the cluster changed and then we dont.

I have imported a 2003 Nissan 350z from the states previously now am upgrading. Would the only difference be the $500 recall clearence letter and the $350 admissibale letter from BMW Canada? Also does anyone know if the US warranty on the vehicle would transfer over even if I dont have a certified dealer change the cluster?

Thanks,

Brett
brettcfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #72
WASABI
OG

What happens to the OEM warranty for U.S. Cars ? How about CPO ? Can a U.S. car be CPO'd in a CDN Dealership and cost upwards of $2-3K ? Any truth to this? Looking to import an '08 335i.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #73
JPTN
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcfs View Post
Would the only difference be the $500 recall clearence letter and the $350 admissibale letter from BMW Canada? Also does anyone know if the US warranty on the vehicle would transfer over even if I dont have a certified dealer change the cluster?
The "admissibility" letter has been discontinued. BMW was sued and dropped this illegal requirement. You still have to pay for the recall letter.

The cluster change by a BMW dealership is MANDATORY or else they won't honour the warranty. Canadian dealerships also won't issue the recall letter if you don't do the swap so the only way of getting it is from a US BMW dealership. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that the Registrar of Imported Vehicles will soon be obtaining recall information from a third party source, hopefully doing away with the need for manufacturer recall clearance letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI
What happens to the OEM warranty for U.S. Cars ? How about CPO ?
CPO is NOT honoured in Canada, only the original factory warranty.
JPTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #74
nickdaytona
2nd Gear Member

Just got my inspection form for the 740 from RIV and I DID NOT PAY BMW. The car sat for 3 months but I was not going to eat the recall letter.

Warranty for the win !!
1968 Ford Mustang-Noni's summer car
1972 '02- son Alexs' first car
1997 BMW 740iL-Moms' pimp car
1990 GTR - the missile
1990 VW Corrado-422 HP @ 23Lbs.
1975 Kawi Z-1 900
Assorted dirt machines
nickdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #75
eljay
2nd Gear Member

I too am looking south of the border for an E46 M3.
Does anyone have suggestions on sources for cars besides the obvious sites? I'm constantly checking 6-7 sites/forums for cars.

The prices are attractive, but once you add everything up and realize you are actually paying around 30% on top of the actual window sticker U.S. price, it hurts! But it's still worth it.
eljay is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: