Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Hey guys,

I just finished reading the 12 page thread on bf.c about importing cars into Canada (parts of it were posted above)

If you read up to around page 10 or so you will see BMW Canada has finally relaxed it's money-grab anality.

You no longer require the BMW letter of admissability when crossing the border

You no longer require the letter of recall from BMW Canada. You can get it from a US dealer for free.

Of course, if you call BMW Canada, they will still say the recall letter is required from them for $500+tax (they may even say you need the admissability letter).

You will still have to make the modifications at BMW or maybe CDN tire I'm not sure about this and pass the 2 inspections, etc.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

I imported my car from the states, man what a hassel, but it was worth it i guess. I was stuck in North Carolina for a week though cause our stupid TD banks didnt know how to make a simple wire transfer!

Anyways, i got a nice clean car with back up sensors which i never seen on a 330ci before... and it was a good experience, the drive home in a new car (16hrs) till the Alexandria bay crossing was really funnt, Virginia and Pennsylvania has amazing mountains!

I wouldnt reccommend doing this now since our dollar is worth nothing anymore, i did it when it was dead even...
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
Magical24
2nd Gear Member

if you decide to use Ebay, dont use MoneyGhram or Western Union and i you start recieving email with invoices on them and they look professional forward them to Spoof@ebay.com and it will tell you if the mail is a legitimate ebay document

I also was looking to buy my car in the states but then i almost got scamed by like 2 americans so i was like **** it and i found my car in Canada and it was a better car, better price and i didnt have to go threw all the import bs so the point of the story is you should look around in canada fist cuz its better for our economy and you might find a better, hassle free deal
Magical24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Davis
2nd Gear Member

I looked into importing an E36 US vehicle in some detail when the US dollar was near par with ours. It barely made financial sense then. Being that the US dollar is now around $.82 cent cdn it seems quite impractical, unless you are getting a huge deal. (really??)
A buddy of mine ended up saving some money on a 06 Acura, but it was a big pain in the ass.
I would keep my eyes open for something in Canada IMO
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
meanm3
1st Gear Newbie

My close friend just imported a VW R32 from the states and it was a complete pain in the ass but he said it was well worth it.

For the time lost and the pain of dealing with customs he saved around $10k so he's a happy guy.

Just a warning, usually it's a royal pain in the ass to import vehicles across the border. I'd hire a broker if you don't feel like screwing around with U.S. Customs.
meanm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanm3 View Post
My close friend just imported a VW R32 from the states and it was a complete pain in the ass but he said it was well worth it.

For the time lost and the pain of dealing with customs he saved around $10k so he's a happy guy.

Just a warning, usually it's a royal pain in the ass to import vehicles across the border. I'd hire a broker if you don't feel like screwing around with U.S. Customs.
It was pretty easy actually! just a few steps and thats it!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
rmanaudio
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know how it works if the person you are buying it from, drives it accross the border and parks it in your drive way??? Would it be easier?
rmanaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanaudio View Post
Anyone know how it works if the person you are buying it from, drives it accross the border and parks it in your drive way??? Would it be easier?
Hahhahaha
Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
rmanaudio
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330ci View Post
Hahhahaha

Im serious dude! I found a guy selling a M3 in New York and he might be willing to go to the dealership in NY and turn day time runners on and drive it accross the border, park it in my driveway, take his plates off and take a flight back home.

What would I have to do then?
rmanaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #25
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
^^take it to RIV. Still gotta jump the same hoops. The only way that really helps is if the car is 15+ years old.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would not say that is rare for the driveway thing. Lets say you have the family from the states that brought the car to your door. You need to know where to go... Just because someone got stuck 1 week in US and had to goof around, it does not mean everyone will.... My 0.02c...
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

You would have to still do everything and pay the same fee's and tax's!

The only thing different is that it would save you money since it's already at you're house!

Same paperwork involved and you would still have to get a trip permit or temp plate to drive it to the border because they inspect vins. Best bet, you make arrangements at the Duty Free and talk to the owner and tell you're connect to just drop the car off there. The Duty Free guys do that, i did that with them..

Then work it from there... follow the steps if import.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #28
mamou01
1st Gear Newbie

Hi,

I was also looking to buy through ebay a couple of days ago. Forget it, there is so many obstacles and fees that you better buy in Canada,Actually, the prices on ebay are not that sensational. Calculate the exchange rate + 6% import tax because the car is from Germany + 200.00 for RVI (registration vehicle import) + GSt + PST and the worst of it, RVI is asking for a manufacturer letter saying that there is no recall and BMW charges $500,00 for that letter!!! + odometer change (Miles to KM) + Day Running lights Etc...
As I said buy from Canada.. BMW are very cheap charging $500.00 for a letter.. Shame on them . I still like their cars but not their actions.
mamou01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #29
89 redrocket
1st Gear Newbie

Just finishing importing my 3rd BMW; its not too difficult but you have to follow procedure - read RIV.ca completely. Note a BMW Canada recall letter for $500 is no longer necessary [read RIV - get it free from a USA BMW dealer]. Have a CDN dealer check the VIN to see what mods are req'd; E90's could require more than $2000. I was told the speedo cluster needs changing-no idea why. Get insurance so you can get temp tags. US Customs require the original title for 72 hours and they export only 8am-4pm Mon-Fri. Cdn Customs next for Form 1, pay GST, Duty, RIV fee. BMW Cda must do mods, for E46 just turning on DRL's. CTC does inspection-very simple and quick (for E46) then emissions test, safety then go to provincial licence bureau with 1. original Title, 2. Bill of Sale, 3. Form 1 stamped by CTC 4. Emissions test and 5. safety.
89 redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #30
topaz330ci
Bang Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 redrocket View Post
Just finishing importing my 3rd BMW; its not too difficult but you have to follow procedure - read RIV.ca completely. Note a BMW Canada recall letter for $500 is no longer necessary [read RIV - get it free from a USA BMW dealer]. Have a CDN dealer check the VIN to see what mods are req'd; E90's could require more than $2000. I was told the speedo cluster needs changing-no idea why. Get insurance so you can get temp tags. US Customs require the original title for 72 hours and they export only 8am-4pm Mon-Fri. Cdn Customs next for Form 1, pay GST, Duty, RIV fee. BMW Cda must do mods, for E46 just turning on DRL's. CTC does inspection-very simple and quick (for E46) then emissions test, safety then go to provincial licence bureau with 1. original Title, 2. Bill of Sale, 3. Form 1 stamped by CTC 4. Emissions test and 5. safety.

That's pretty much it! but you don't have to change the cluster, BMW just programs the digital part into KM instead of miles, and temp also...

I love the fact they don't charge you for those stupid letters, i paid almost 1000$ for those letters last year!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: