Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

Who's fallen Victim to our crumbling economy?

Hey guys

Just wondering how you guys have been affected by the economy? Anyone get laid off? Right now things arent looking to good at my site. Apparently the builder owes the forming company 1.5mill and unless the builder pays up soon the forming company is threatening to pull all its guys off site! Which is having me really worried because if I put the bimmer into the body shop and then get laid off. I'm += I'm worried over my job because of my car, but then I think what about the people out there with a mortgage and kids? Hope you guys are coping well!!!

Jay

Last edited by spoony_prelude; 01-30-2009 at 07:40 PM.
spoony_prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
When I got hired for my job, they laid 25 full timers. This was back in November though. I don't believe I have anything to worry about, they already went through all the cuts they wanted to make.

That really sucks man, I cross my fingers for you and anybody else who needs it.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
TNation
Banned

i can't find any place thats hiring p/t actually. Thats not fast food. Its rough.
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
5thseries
biggerthen3

My Mum lost hour and half a day.. 100 bucks off her pay now :\
5thseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
prince1
on to the next 1

Send a message via MSN to prince1
got my quaterly bonus slashed heavily

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
Yo man, I got $6000 in my bank account, and I could buy any car i want
Ya man with $6000 in the bank, you're really balling arnt ya
prince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
residential construction is sucking balls right now, so I've been pretty slow all winter. I've had to refocus on renovations and restoration work instead. Anyone in the hamilton/burlington/grimsby area need any plumbing work done????? lolz
Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Yo dude. what are you guys building? Condo?

A lot of my friends from the construction industry are telling me things are slowing down.
The buildings that are excavated, are continuing to build, slowly but surely, but all the proposals that were in the go are all cancelling.

That's just how things are now. I suppose if there are doubts that the units can't be sold in a favourable time frame or if the are glaring problems with suppliers the project may crumble altogether. lol

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
I lost my job back in October....due to a back injury, and being misinformed on company policy to return to work(manager didnt fill me in on how things were supposed to be done). Since then i have applied everywhere i can, including Timmies, McD's, not even an interview. I have bills to pay, my car needs repaired, and things dont seem as though they are gonna get better any time soon. just a good thing my Fiance wasnt prego like we thought a while ago...

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
BigD
the misanthropist

It's everywhere. The saddest thing is that it's also in healthcare. I can't even begin to describe how ****ing furious it makes me that some shit bag on an auto assembly line making 70 bucks an hour is getting "bailed out" while our health care is getting cut so badly that many units will be closing down. THIS IS ****ING HEALTH CARE, NOT A ****ING US AUTO COMPANY! GOD DAMN ****ING SHIT... woossaaaa All the while McGuinty announced more cuts to health care and education. **** these people, I'm never voting again until I have the time and resources to lobby for what I believe is right.

The sad irony of the situation is that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have a theory that if the media was forced to report nothing but good news, that every major company is posting profits, housing prices are going up and the economy is getting stronger - this shit would be over in 2-4 weeks. Instead, what started as exposure of ****ups in the US banking sector, spread through insane fear-mongering in the media, has scared everyone shitless and spending has ground to a halt, which is making all of their paranoid fears come true.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
It's everywhere. The saddest thing is that it's also in healthcare. I can't even begin to describe how ****ing furious it makes me that some shit bag on an auto assembly line making 70 bucks an hour is getting "bailed out" while our health care is getting cut so badly that many units will be closing down. THIS IS ****ING HEALTH CARE, NOT A ****ING US AUTO COMPANY! GOD DAMN ****ING SHIT... woossaaaa All the while McGuinty announced more cuts to health care and education. **** these people, I'm never voting again until I have the time and resources to lobby for what I believe is right.

The sad irony of the situation is that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have a theory that if the media was forced to report nothing but good news, that every major company is posting profits, housing prices are going up and the economy is getting stronger - this shit would be over in 2-4 weeks. Instead, what started as exposure of ****ups in the US banking sector, spread through insane fear-mongering in the media, has scared everyone shitless and spending has ground to a halt, which is making all of their paranoid fears come true.
I'd agree, the media has a role of this. A Lot of people aren't spending because they believe this is the Great Depression all over again, which is what the media tells us 24/7
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #11
ACS_DAN
16/F/Cali

Send a message via MSN to ACS_DAN
Media definitely plays a huge role, you guys remember that CBC reporter who was kidnapped, but was released because it didn't make a big "splash" in the media world simply because they didn't allow the story to be put in any form of media.

When we become so brainless that we believe everything coming out of a rectangular box, then we really need some help.

There are people that still think Africa and South America is 100 percent Mud huts, and poor people.

95 530i|Modifications - Work.
ACS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
daytona
6th Gear Member

knock on wood our business(food) had a pretty good 5 months but our slow season (summer) is around the corner.Didnt cut or lay off anyone but Im taking less money and we are ordering from suppliers that offers a little better price with a bit lower quality in non food items (boxes,bags,menus,etc,etc).Our friends in the construction industry and car industry are screaming poor right now,I know a good customer who has a HUGE house near wonderland and he downsize from a 2007 Esclade to a 2005 Accord,he cut all his vacations for 2009 and now he has to hustle to find contracts instead of them chasing after him.He never seen it this bad and hes been doing this trade for 20 years.

also a lot of scams..this is warning we got from Menu Palace...

Dear Valued Clients,

It has been brought to our attention that restaurants in the GTA are being contacted by an individual or individuals who are trying to defraud the restaurant of money. These people are pre booking parties, and paying by money order or cheque. Then they are cancelling the party and asking for "only" half the money back in cash, saying that the restaurant can keep the rest of the money for their inconvenience. Several days later the restaurant finds out that the money order or cheque bounced. Please be careful when dealing with these types of situations. If this happens, please report it to the police, and to MenuPalace.com so that we can make our customers aware of these scams, and prevent the industry form being defrauded.

Last edited by daytona; 01-31-2009 at 12:10 AM.
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #13
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNation View Post
I'd agree, the media has a role of this. A Lot of people aren't spending because they believe this is the Great Depression all over again, which is what the media tells us 24/7
i agree also with Big D. The media is making it worse than it is. all that the media is doing is making everyone worry. I think that if people were not so worried that they would spend quite a bit more, and that we would not even get to depression. instead everyone worries, and the media is the biggest contributor to it.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire291 View Post
i agree also with Big D. The media is making it worse than it is. all that the media is doing is making everyone worry. I think that if people were not so worried that they would spend quite a bit more, and that we would not even get to depression. instead everyone worries, and the media is the biggest contributor to it.
tell that to the 200,000 workers that got sacked the last three months in the states.If it wasnt for the 900 billion bail out this would have been a full blown depression.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
rodo
6th Gear Member

In a sense I agree and yet I don't agree. It all has to do with consumer confidence, and until the housing market turns around, the market will continue to crumble. However, I also think the media is used as a medium to boost consumer confidence. Take this example:

A few months ago Warren Buffet released an article titled "buy american, I am"... a stunt to boost consumer confidence. They hoped that since the public hated bush and wouldn't listen to him, then they would listen to Buffet because he's bright and he's "another american citizen" like eveyone else. Now, how much money has Buffet lost on those stocks?!

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: