Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

They work there because a) they didn't try to get a better job or b) can't get a better job. Either way I do tip (usually $2) but that's just me, I HATE when people almost demand a tip (like East Side Mario's printing on their receipts to remember and tip the servers).

Yes it's cold outside but someone has to dot hat job too, it is a job and they get paid, I'm not there to pay them but to buy gas.

You could tip cashiers too, they often make minimum wage, or peopel stocking shelves at grocery stores, or carw as attendants.....
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #17
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
That's just it though... when I used to work there, I'd never hold it against anyone for not tipping, because most people don't even consider it. When I used to tell people I made tips at the gas station, most of them were shocked! They'd never even thought to tip.... but the way I see it, if someone is performing a service for you, why not tip them. But people don't think of that...
i dont blame people for not thinknig about it... i guess its just annoying how you can think to tip a waiter/waitress. but someone who does the same amount of running around in a shift, pumps your gas couse you dont want to, and you camt be curious enough to tip, even though they are out in the blistering sun, or the aching cold, where as the wiater/waitress doesnt deal with the elements.

i tip when ever i go to a full serve station, cuz i know what its like to be in the shite ass weather all day, and put up with peoples shit too.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster View Post
They work there because a) they didn't try to get a better job or b) can't get a better job. Either way I do tip (usually $2) but that's just me, I HATE when people almost demand a tip (like East Side Mario's printing on their receipts to remember and tip the servers).

Yes it's cold outside but someone has to dot hat job too, it is a job and they get paid, I'm not there to pay them but to buy gas.

You could tip cashiers too, they often make minimum wage, or peopel stocking shelves at grocery stores, or carw as attendants.....
i never demanded a tip, just thought that it was prickish not to even think to tip the attendant. Yagas bar attendants are out in shit weather, but a lot chose to keep the job cuz its a good job. i used to love pumping gas, even after putting up with the worst weather, i still loved it, the nice days out weighed the bad ones. Cashiers are not allowed to take tips most times, as well as stock personnel.

my grand parents taught me to tip waitresses 10% of the bill, i still follow that rule, and i follow the same for gas bar attendants.

flickr
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #19
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire291 View Post
i never demanded a tip, just thought that it was prickish not to even think to tip the attendant. Yagas bar attendants are out in shit weather, but a lot chose to keep the job cuz its a good job. i used to love pumping gas, even after putting up with the worst weather, i still loved it, the nice days out weighed the bad ones. Cashiers are not allowed to take tips most times, as well as stock personnel.

my grand parents taught me to tip waitresses 10% of the bill, i still follow that rule, and i follow the same for gas bar attendants.
What's there to love about that job? Wouldn't you rather do work somewhere where there's heat in the winter and AC in the summer, with better pay and without having to serve all kind of people?

Most people tip when they feel they got a good service and got something they enjoy (like food). On the other hand when people go to buy gas they do it because they have no choice, they get no joy out of it and that's probably why most don't tip.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #20
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I used to pump gas when I was 17, and the only time I got a tip was on Christmas day, and that was 17 years ago. The only gas staions that are full service are ones that are to cheap to up grade to current pumps and standards. The oil industry doesn't give a shit about service, and its reflected in the stations. Its just not something you whould tip for.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
three28
2nd Gear Member

So I have pumped gas in the past and I've been a server for a few years while in school. I find them to be totally different jobs as pumping gas is a very simple procedure and its usually kids doing it for minimum wage which is what they would be paid doing any other job. Due to the nature of the restaurant business, servers are expected to be tipped so they make less than minimum wage (servers wage) which allows restaurants a little more room for profit as it is all ready difficult enough to run a profitable restaurant. In the customers mind it would make much more sense to tip a server based on their service as they could not give a shit and you would have a horrible experience or they could do an outstanding job and you tip them accordingly. Pumping gas is pumping gas. Tipping is like an automated weeding out of shitty servers in the industry as they end up making no money and having to look for a job elsewhere. This is why most good servers expect a half decent tip and are disappointed when they don't get it because they worked their ass of for nothing and could have spent that time on a table they knew would tip. I tip according to the level of service and how busy the server is. I'd expect less service if the server is getting killed with a million tables because there isn't enough people working or its a huge rush. Never lower your tip based on food quality or waiting time. That is the restaurants fault and the basis of your decision of whether or not to return. The server can only do so much to ensure food quality and preparation are at expectations. Thus ends my little rant. The only thing to remember from this is that tipping at restaurants has become the norm in Canada and employers adjust the wages accordingly so if your server provides a pleasant dining experience and is helpful, please tip accordingly.
three28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

I do not usually go to the full serve. When I do I don't generally tip, although I have on crappy days. I do however get out and have a conversation with the guy pumping the gas. If he is busy ill finish up for him and I always go inside to pay. I feel awkard about not tipping but I figure my conversations are worth more than a few bucks.

I worked at Futureshop, I know its not the same thing but the principal is, and only two people (in 5 years) have ever tipped me, one dude and his wife gave me a bottle of wine and another dude gave me fifty bucks. I never expected it, although considering I would on average save people a few hundred bucks with some price manipulation at the till maybe I should have. It was always nice to receive some recognition beyond a comission I lessened to save these people some money.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #23
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

I don't go full serve gas stations ever.

As for waitresses, if I can get a interesting convo or some flirtation (if they're good looking) i'll give 10-15% otherwise I tip nothing.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Where the hell do you work? New Jersey? I've never seen a "full serve only" gas station.

On another note, why can't you fill up your own gas in New Jersey?
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #25
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

I think that i loved the job cause it was so simple, i made alright tips sometimes, there was little supervision. me and my friend on this forum used to eff around so much. pratical jokes and such. we ad a whole 2 bay garage at our disposal to do what we wanted iin, on our slow periods. i like working outdoors, and generally ignored most of the asshole customers. there were however a few that you just couldnt ignore.

flickr
Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

There are 3 full-serve only gas station in 5km radius from my house.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #27
Mikeee46coup
6th Gear Member

I always tip, it's a simple way of showing appreciation, often a simple hand full of pennies thrown out the window as I burn out the parking lot does the trick.

DPE Wheels, H&R Cupkit, M3 Interior...too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #28
TheLoneVR!
戦うために住み、住む戦い

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
i tip when im served by a ****ing hot ass waitress....or a polite waitress....

i aint tipping for gas!
+1

**** tiping for gas service!!! this isnt 1960!
TheLoneVR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #29
sirex
King Sirex

I dont tip any more. Anyone. Because no one tips me.

**** you guys. You hear me? **** you.

The bartenders come into MY BAR AT THE BEER STORE. THEY COME TO MY BAR, they buy 10 cases of coors light, or corrona, or heinenken. 10 ****ing cases. I then go get the cases, and the assholes dont tip me.

BUT

BUT

BUT

HERES THE KICKER

Im suppose to tip because they took the beer cap off the 1 beer, out of the 24 I just carried to their car??AND Then charge me 6$ for it? IM SUPPOSE TO TIP THAT? WHY? **** YOU SOCIETY. I wont tip shit anymore.

**** YOU
**** YOU ALL.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #30
TNation
Banned

^ hahahahahahahahahaha
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: