Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #31
328trackrat
2nd Gear Member

It's really a case of Searcher's and Planners if anyone has read into Easterly or Sachs economics on aid.. I took a class that touched a bit on there work related to aid given Africa however I believe it applies locally here as well.

The planners are what I would call the people in upper government who have great plans to reduce poverty and to get all these poor people out of the poverty trap. There plans involve lots of money being put into these communities through handouts and subsidies etc. However simply throwing more and more money at them is not a solution. Plans like these have been proven time and time again not to work (look at Africa, in the last 50yrs the over 50+billion dollars given in foreign aid HAS NOT made significant improvements to 90% of those in the poverty trap). There needs to be incentive for people to take the initiative and move out of the poverty trap on their own. Simply giving people handouts (welfare $) or subsidized housing does not give them any incentive to better themselves. They must figure out a way to help these people but through programs that will reward them for making improvements.

Essentially searchers are those at the bottom of the chain who are working with the people, and they know what will work best for them. They try small scale programs to see how well they work and then tweak them for best results. They are constantly figuring new approaches that can work for the people so they can move out of these poverty traps.

I am not arguing against welfare etc, however just stating that there are much better solutions that would be more effective in moving more of the population out of the poverty trap then simply giving handouts etc.
328trackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #32
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
But it's not disproportionate to income.

Cross crime data over of poor white people with poor black people. It's basically identical. One race just happens to have a higher propensity to have less money.
exactly.

The correlation between race and violence/prison sentences/drug crimes
(AKA to put bluntly, the propensity for black people to commit violent/drug offenses) and to be sent to jail is not relevant.

COUNTLESS studies have shown that the correlation between POVERTY and drug/violent offenses is much higher, and the figures for race are sweked because most blacks/hispanics (particularly in urban areas of the USA) are more likely to be poor than not.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #33
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #34
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
exactly.

The correlation between race and violence/prison sentences/drug crimes
(AKA to put bluntly, the propensity for black people to commit violent/drug offenses) and to be sent to jail is not relevant.

COUNTLESS studies have shown that the correlation between POVERTY and drug/violent offenses is much higher, and the figures for race are sweked because most blacks/hispanics (particularly in urban areas of the USA) are more likely to be poor than not.
another bias study ... do you know how many immigrants come to canada with a suitcase and about $100 to there name and still do well. They come here poor but they end up middle class or better. Polish, Portuguese, Indian, Italian, etc

so this Poverty to drug/violence relation is bullshit .. sorry.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #35
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
another bias study ... do you know how many immigrants come to canada with a suitcase and about $100 to there name and still do well. They come here poor but they end up middle class or better. Polish, Portuguese, Indian, Italian, etc

Yup, my parents came over here in 1981 with $10 USD, not a word of English, and made it. I think most people are looking for an excuse for laziness.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #36
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Yup, my parents came over here in 1981 with $10 USD, not a word of English, and made it. I think most people are looking for an excuse for laziness.
mine too .. dad has nothing but an aunt here .. he started off working at a farm .. then doing roof shingles on houses for someone .. then welding, etc ,etc

not a gun in his hand ..

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #37
rhythm
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
I really don't get this cartoon. Can't believe its on TV.
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #38
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Bingo.

Some individuals are driven to overcome their situations and succeed in life. Other individuals use their situation as an excuse for their lack of success. Life is what you make of it.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
noone is ever going to stop crime.. not now not ever.. crime and murder drug offences. will always exist, its what creates jobs makes the world go round. (i.e correctional officers)
any one over the age of 19 can own a firearm. within a week if i presume correctly.
and im sure someone with no street connections can purchase a firearm with in a month.
doesnt matter on how hard you crack down on them. take one off the streets 2 slip through the border.

It would be nice if we had the street crimes of Nova Scotia

no wait ... georgetown

hold on ill get this right .. PEI .. manitoulinand island ..

damn .. I couldnt prove your point because there are no street crimes were there are no gangs.

but i will agree there is some truth to what your saying. It would be nice if there was reduced crimes

Last edited by Blades; 01-26-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #40
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
It would be nice if we had the street crimes of Nova Scotia

no wait ... georgetown

hold on ill get this right .. PEI .. manitoulinand island ..

damn .. I couldnt prove your point because there are no street crimes were there are no gangs.

but i will agree there is some truth to what your saying. It would be nice if there was reduced crimes
lol...

Man, I know that if I went for a drive through Newfoundland, I'd make sure my doors were always locked!!! Never know when outta nowhere... blap blap! Car jacked. Those crazy fisherman will do anything for a buck.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #41
TNation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
I think there is more vehicle thefts in Winnepeg then there is in Toronto.
*Winterpeg
it is the WORST city in Canada for car thefts, by far
TNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #42
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendered View Post
So I can be sure to avoid a similar looking suspect on the street, and call the cops if I see any potential suspects. Its my right as a citizen of Canada. Do you want to challenge my rights and freedoms now genious?
Haha bullshit.

You know you weren't going to get anything more detailed than "black" "white" or "asian". If you were planning to avoid all teenagers from any one of those groups and/or call the cops about them, you'd be a busy man.

You're so transparent, it kills me.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #43
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:

It's proven that immigrants in any financial class have lower crime rates than people born in the country within the same class.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a direct correlation between poverty and crime. There is, and it would be even more marked if the immigrants were more like their native counterparts.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #44
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
It's proven that immigrants in any financial class have lower crime rates than people born in the country within the same class.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a direct correlation between poverty and crime. There is, and it would be even more marked if the immigrants were more like their native counterparts.
I find that very surprising. Got a link? Not doubting you, I just want to see this info for myself - seems to be counter-intuitive lol.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #45
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:

hmm but then your theory wouldnt work on Newfoundland or Nova Scotia .. must be something else.

I think the best way to get an answer would be to do statistics within a prison yet the results would still be biased based on people that were caught oppose to those that didnt. Yet im sure you would fine your end results and get your who, what, and why.

Last edited by Blades; 01-26-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: