Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
topaz330ci
Bang Boom
 
topaz330ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 587
5-SPD Serious Problem!!!

So i recently wrote an e-mail about this problem to 2 of my local BMW dealers here in Ottawa. Here's the e-mail outlining the problem:

Hello,

I currently own a 2002 330ci (E46) Coupe. I noticed a transmission problem which can get very problematic!

It’s a 5spd manual transmission and every time I shift out of 5th gear (getting off the highway) the shift nob positions itself right under the 5th gate, and not under the 3rd gate(center). So it stays slanted to the right, right under 5th gear.

I looked into this problem and it seems it is a very common problem on these transmissions and previous 1997-1999 m3's.

From my knowledge, this is caused by a detent pin inside the transmission which is clogged up and doesn’t let the shifter to go back in place. People say this is a problem during warm up and once the tranny oil warms up it should re-center itself on it's own. Worst cases that I have heard are that the shifter stays in that position the whole time…

I'm currently off warranty and was wondering if there is any special compensation of some sort or re-calls about this matter?

I don’t really want to try looking into a new transmission due to a detention pin… nor would I want to pay $2000 to resolve this problem. It is very inconvenient to drive because sometimes you miss 3rd gear completely and it goes right into 5th. My clutch is in good shape and I don’t really want to open the tranny up unless I need a new clutch. The car is currently stored.

What can be done about this problem?


These were the replies:

1. Mr. Alin ___,

Thanks for the e-mail, I would like to road test the car before I can give you a cost estimate. If it is the detention pin , this can be done with out removing the transmission. We may have to lower the rear of the transmission to get to the pin.
There is no extended warranty coverage on this repair.

Please call or e-mail me to make an appointment to have it checked out.

Many thanks

Jules Bruehlmann
Service Manager

2.Mr. ___

I have researched your problem with your vehicle .You are correct the problem more than likely is the detention pin in the transmission .The transmission would have to be removed and a 2 hour transmission repair would have to be carried out to resolve this problem, The labor involved for removal and re-instate the transmission would be 6 hours plus 2 hours labor for the actual repair. Labor = 8 hours ($106/hour) =$848.00
Parts =$120.00
Total =$968.00 plus taxes

Unfortunately your car has exceeded your original warranty also there is no recalls or campaigns from BMW Canada for this repair ,so there is no special compensation available for this repair .


So i was wondering, if this is the case, why don't i just do a new clutch job which he estimated at "The clutch package for your is menu priced at $753.00 plus taxes (includes parts+labor)" and while the tranny is open they can fix my stupid detend pin at the same time and just pay the parts for that. They quoted the price for the fix to be 120$ but I heard from other ppl that the kit should be less then 20$

Bad situation, i have to negotiate a deal with these guys or go to a private reliable garage. I do know of one and i have to talk to him first then decide on what to do...

Anyone have any suggestions on this problem?
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ / ORD
Posts: 7,201
Oddly enough, mine does this every now and then too but never gets stuck. I never cared about it much since I don't see any problems with the transmission other than this little thing.
__________________


'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair
 
Bullet Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Guelph
Posts: 5,717
Talk to some of the sponsors on max, if you feel like making the trip down I'm sure they'd be able to fix you up for a price that is much more reasonable than what the dealer quoted.

goes to show you what some mechanics at dealers do and do not know. One dealer says it can be one without removing the tranny and the other says that you have to spend 3 hours tearing it out, 2 hours fixing it and 3 hours putting it back in.
__________________
Bullet Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
topaz330ci
Bang Boom
 
topaz330ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 587
I know, its retarded. From what i heard from other ppl with this problem, its pretty much impossible to do without removing the tranny.... Mine hardly does it, only once in a while it would get stuck there for about 15 min and then it would re-center itself. but ppl say the problem progresses, so i would like to deal with it in the spring right away. Sometimes i even avoid putting it in fifth on the highway, i drive in fourth gear doing about 100km at almost 3000rpm... anoying!

And shifting into 3rd is really hard since the 5th gear gate is open and it prefers to easily go there instead...

Cant believe there wasnt a recall on this problem. And also a lot of ppl dont even know they have this problem cause they live in places with warmer climate..

I was thinking of putting top of the line tranny oil and seeing if things will clear up. but i dunno, im just going to get it fixed i guess.
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
VSanj
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bramladesh!!
Posts: 4,364
automatic FTW!
__________________
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/11/vsanjsigdw5.jpg
VSanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member
 
Max_VQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: down by the river
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSanj View Post
automatic FTW!
You don't see this ^^^ often!!

I have a 530, but we have the same tranny. Last summer I changed my tranny oil and used Pentosin MTL-LT-02 (OEM BMW) and the problem is 90% better.

I will replace my detent pins when I do my clutch in the spring.
23 11 7 525 048 Detent Pins: about $10 US each and you need three.
07 11 9 937 227 Cap: about $.50 each and you need three.


Below is the TSB from BMW and yes the tranny needs to be removed.
SIB 23 03 02 covers the shift pin replacement and SIB 23 01 04 covers the diagnosis.

SI B 23 03 02
Manual Transmissions
January 2003
Service Engineering
Manual Transmission Hard to Shift
MODELS:
E36/7 Z3, M52B28, M54B30, S52, S54, with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E39 M52B28, M54B30 with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E39 Touring M54B25 with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E46 M52B28, M54B30 with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E53 M54B30 with S5D280Z transmission from start of production until 3/02

SITUATION:
Increased effort is required to engage and/or disengage gears with transmission at operating temperature. Please refer to SIB23 01 99 when diagnosing shifting concerns.

CAUSE:
Shifting pin sticks in bore.

CORRECTION:
On a customer basis, replace catch pins for 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/reverse gears.

PROCEDURE:
Refer to BMW repair instructions 23 30... Note: This repair procedure can be accessed by entering the repair instruction number, or proceeding to repair group 23, subgroup 11 of the appropriate series. The transmission must be removed to replace the catch pins. BMW Special Tool 23 3 110 is necessary to perform this procedure, and will be distributed to all BMW centers via automatic tool shipment.

PARTS INFORMATION:
Code:
PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION QUANTITY

23 11 7 525 048 Catch pins 3
07 11 9 937 227 Sealing cap 3

WARRANTY INFORMATION:
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect code: 23 00 94 34 00

Labor Operation: 00 53 399 (Main Work) - Replace shifter catch pins
Labor Allowance:
- 32 FRUs (E36/7 Z3)
- 35 FRUs (E36/7 M Coupe, M Roadster)
- 32 FRUs (E39 525i, 530i)
- 33 FRUs (E39 528i)
- 34 FRUs (E39 525iT, 528iT)
- 40 FRUs (E46 328i/ci/cic, 330i/ci/cic)
- 58 FRUs (E46 330xi)
- 55 FRUs (E53 X5 3.0)

Labor Operation: 00 53 973 (+Associated Work) - Replace shifter catch pins
- 30 FRUs (E36/7 Z3)
- 33 FRUs (E36/7 M Coupe, M Roadster)
- 30 FRUs (E39 525i, 530i)
- 31 FRUs (E39 528i)
- 32 FRUs (E39 525iT, 528iT)
- 38 FRUs (E46 328i/ci/cic, 330i/ci/cic)
- 56 FRUs (E46 330xi)
- 53 FRUs (E53 X5 3.0)
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Another BM
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 593
LOL
i got the same problem on my 330ci

this only happens if the tranny is cold.. never happens in the spring,summer,fall..
only winter.. As soon as the car is warm it wont stick in 5th n e more...

lol we should get a bunch of ppl with this problem and raid a bmw dealershiip

muhahah
Another BM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
NE46IL
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
LOL
i got the same problem on my 330ci

this only happens if the tranny is cold.. never happens in the spring,summer,fall..
only winter.. As soon as the car is warm it wont stick in 5th n e more...

lol we should get a bunch of ppl with this problem and raid a bmw dealershiip

muhahah
Same thing happens with my 328ci
NE46IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Romaz
5th Gear Member
 
Romaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another BM View Post
LOL
i got the same problem on my 330ci

this only happens if the tranny is cold.. never happens in the spring,summer,fall..
only winter.. As soon as the car is warm it wont stick in 5th n e more...

lol we should get a bunch of ppl with this problem and raid a bmw dealershiip

muhahah
+1, I had the same issue a few years ago. Only happened in really cold temperatures. Ever since I got a full tranny and diff flush @ RMP the issue seemed to of taken care of itself and has not returned.
__________________
Romaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #10
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Location
Posts: 5,178
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Since we are on the same subject, is it normal to have clutch job done on a 01 330ci at 130k km? Just want to know because my friend got 250k on his 2002 diesel golf and everyone abused it.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
topaz330ci
Bang Boom
 
topaz330ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 587
I guess ill try to full transmission flush before i enquire about a more serious fix!

130km on a 01 is still premature. It all depends on the driver!!!! If you know how to drive your car near perfect, and your the first owner, i bet you would never need to change a clutch!
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
JNSchnitzer
Christ is King
 
JNSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 900
Happens to me too and after my crankcase whistling I am now a firm believer that the 330ci is not a car for winter ... Civic for me next winter lol
JNSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
topaz330ci
Bang Boom
 
topaz330ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 587
Im not even driving mine in the winter, i noticed this in the fall!! I just hope i could fix the problem with a simple transmission flush!

This problem is so common its crazy! Ppl dont even know they have this problem!
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
topaz330ci
Bang Boom
 
topaz330ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
You don't see this ^^^ often!!

I have a 530, but we have the same tranny. Last summer I changed my tranny oil and used Pentosin MTL-LT-02 (OEM BMW) and the problem is 90% better.

I will replace my detent pins when I do my clutch in the spring.
23 11 7 525 048 Detent Pins: about $10 US each and you need three.
07 11 9 937 227 Cap: about $.50 each and you need three.


Below is the TSB from BMW and yes the tranny needs to be removed.
SIB 23 03 02 covers the shift pin replacement and SIB 23 01 04 covers the diagnosis.

SI B 23 03 02
Manual Transmissions
January 2003
Service Engineering
Manual Transmission Hard to Shift
MODELS:
E36/7 Z3, M52B28, M54B30, S52, S54, with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E39 M52B28, M54B30 with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E39 Touring M54B25 with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E46 M52B28, M54B30 with S5D320Z transmission from start of production until 3/02
E53 M54B30 with S5D280Z transmission from start of production until 3/02

SITUATION:
Increased effort is required to engage and/or disengage gears with transmission at operating temperature. Please refer to SIB23 01 99 when diagnosing shifting concerns.

CAUSE:
Shifting pin sticks in bore.

CORRECTION:
On a customer basis, replace catch pins for 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/reverse gears.

PROCEDURE:
Refer to BMW repair instructions 23 30... Note: This repair procedure can be accessed by entering the repair instruction number, or proceeding to repair group 23, subgroup 11 of the appropriate series. The transmission must be removed to replace the catch pins. BMW Special Tool 23 3 110 is necessary to perform this procedure, and will be distributed to all BMW centers via automatic tool shipment.

PARTS INFORMATION:
Code:
PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION QUANTITY

23 11 7 525 048 Catch pins 3
07 11 9 937 227 Sealing cap 3

WARRANTY INFORMATION:
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect code: 23 00 94 34 00

Labor Operation: 00 53 399 (Main Work) - Replace shifter catch pins
Labor Allowance:
- 32 FRUs (E36/7 Z3)
- 35 FRUs (E36/7 M Coupe, M Roadster)
- 32 FRUs (E39 525i, 530i)
- 33 FRUs (E39 528i)
- 34 FRUs (E39 525iT, 528iT)
- 40 FRUs (E46 328i/ci/cic, 330i/ci/cic)
- 58 FRUs (E46 330xi)
- 55 FRUs (E53 X5 3.0)

Labor Operation: 00 53 973 (+Associated Work) - Replace shifter catch pins
- 30 FRUs (E36/7 Z3)
- 33 FRUs (E36/7 M Coupe, M Roadster)
- 30 FRUs (E39 525i, 530i)
- 31 FRUs (E39 528i)
- 32 FRUs (E39 525iT, 528iT)
- 38 FRUs (E46 328i/ci/cic, 330i/ci/cic)
- 56 FRUs (E46 330xi)
- 53 FRUs (E53 X5 3.0)


I dont think we have the same problem, your experiencing a "hard to shift" problem. Mine shifts very smoothly, the only problem is that detent pin and thats it, every other gear slides in smoothly.......
topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
dbworld4k
Addict
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ / ORD
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSchnitzer View Post
Happens to me too and after my crankcase whistling I am now a firm believer that the 330ci is not a car for winter ... Civic for me next winter lol
LOL! Hey, the three 330s in my family are doing fine! I guess Imola Red coupes aren't cut out for cold weather
__________________


'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.