Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #31
2slow2race
6th Gear Member

haha bootlegged a ps3 game? not happening
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #32
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

it'll happen, as soon as blue ray burners become widely distributed.

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #33
Romaz
5th Gear Member

Here is a nice little article on the new ps3 slim:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...ion-3-/1348503
Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #34
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
That has absolutely nothing to do with it... Nobody has been able to defeat the protection yet, and ppl have been working on it since day 1, and still are today. The guy that first jailbroke the iPhone has just starting looking at the ps3 and is having one hell of a tough time

besides, bluray burners are already cheap
Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #35
Fel
Not Banned

Nothing to do with the drives, everything to do with security measures and hardware/software on the system itself.... I wouldn't hold my breath for bootleg PS3 games. Gotta pay to play.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #36
c4sh
2nd Gear Member

i too have been waiting 3 years for them to jailbreak the ps3 i dont think its going to happen anytime soon , also i wouldnt reccomend buying the extended warranty as i bought a launch ps3 which is supposed to have the most "glitches" not a problem yet(knock on wood) and my warranty ends this year 150 gone down the drain .... on the other hand if i were impatient and purchased an xbox things might have been a little different
c4sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #37
sirex
King Sirex

ps3 just went down in price by 100$

you might as well buy new and be at peace of mind.

its a numbers game.... millions and millions of 360's have been sold. A few thousand break down, and its like the worst thing thats ever happened. The support is pretty good, and the chance of your system dieing is pretty rare. Ive had my 360 for a year now, no problems. sometimes youre lucky, sometimes youre not.
360 still has the best games and best online system to date. PS3 has been slow to mature, and game distributors are not really taking it on, also not taking advantage of the system... I mean theyre still creating games on DVDs, and they look find at 1080p on the 360.... ps3s got bluray and yet their games look no better...

Last edited by sirex; 09-01-2009 at 11:07 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #38
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
its a numbers game.... millions and millions of 360's have been sold. A few thousand break down, and its like the worst thing thats ever happened. The support is pretty good, and the chance of your system dieing is pretty rare. Ive had my 360 for a year now, no problems. sometimes youre lucky, sometimes youre not.
54% failure rate.

That's not "a few thousand" out of "millions and millions"....
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #39
koncise
all you need is one mike

I've heard around 30%... but since most electronics are in the 2 - 5% range, that's still brutal
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #40
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
54% failure rate.

That's not "a few thousand" out of "millions and millions"....

links to your facts/stats please. Credible sources preffered thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #41
koncise
all you need is one mike

google + 360 failure rate

i don't think MS has ever officially released the number... which should tell you something.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #42
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
links to your facts/stats please. Credible sources preffered thanks.
The 54% figure was a result of a poll done by Game Informer, with a sample size of roughly 5000.

Early runs of the system were said to have as high a failure rate as 70%, and that has come down considerably since.

There are no "official" numbers, Microsoft would be stupid to release those. All we have to go on are customer experience, and a lot of looking has been done since launch.

Right now, a good estimate would put it somewhere between 35-50%, but no one knows for sure. It's no lower than 30%.

Don't know what to tell you otherwise... if you choose not to believe it, that's fine, but it's not a point many MS fanboys are debating... they know it just as well as everyone else.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #43
sirex
King Sirex

if thats what it is, then thats it. I thought it was lower considering the popularity of the console.

I read that article about the 5000 sample size too.. but the information was vague.

Was it a 5,000 sample size in terms of consolers? So 2500 could have been 360 owners, and 2000 could have been ps3 owners? etc.

How do they know who had a console and who didnt? WAs it just an online poll, survey? If literally millions of consoles were just going down in flames, wouldn't there be a much bigger stink about it?
Its just Im hard pressed to hear numbers like 30 to 50% when Im looking at the real world and see quite the contrary in terms of sales and ownership...

why would i buy a console that operated in terms of coin flipping? If I knew it was 50% I wouldn;t have bought a 360. So anyway, Microsoft is a big company and has alot of haters too.

meh.

Last edited by sirex; 09-01-2009 at 04:12 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
ps3s got bluray and yet their games look no better...
i have only played a few ps3 games, and i think the graphics look better than 360. GTA 4, and SOCOM for example, have really good graphics.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #45
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
if thats what it is, then thats it. I thought it was lower considering the popularity of the console.

I read that article about the 5000 sample size too.. but the information was vague.

Was it a 5,000 sample size in terms of consolers? So 2500 could have been 360 owners, and 2000 could have been ps3 owners? etc.

How do they know who had a console and who didnt? WAs it just an online poll, survey? If literally millions of consoles were just going down in flames, wouldn't there be a much bigger stink about it?
Its just Im hard pressed to hear numbers like 30 to 50% when Im looking at the real world and see quite the contrary in terms of sales and ownership...

why would i buy a console that operated in terms of coin flipping? If I knew it was 50% I wouldn;t have bought a 360. So anyway, Microsoft is a big company and has alot of haters too.

meh.
To be honest, I don't understand it either.

The sample of 5000 would likely be a poll of Xbox owners and their own personal experiences. I know people that not only had a console die on them, but had 3-4 consoles die on them! Some got to their 3rd or 4th and said "**** this, I'm outta here", other people are just so blindly in love with the system that they're willing to put up with it.

I see a lot of people claiming "well, MS fixed it for free, so why should I care", but in the grand scheme of things, you have to imagine that a majority of the people that own the system had it bought for them by their parents, so they don't care about the risk involved.

As far as news, there was a huuuge stink about it, but this was 1-2 years ago when it was a much more serious problem. Microsoft eventually revised their warranty because of it, and it has cost them billions of dollars. There have been countless articles and news coverage on it, but again people don't seem to care, which I just don't understand. If I knew that a piece of hardware had a failure rate that high, I wouldn't go buy one (which is why I don't own one). Plus something like a gaming console's failure rate isn't headline news, so you don't see coverage of something like this in mainstream media... it's usually found in the gaming media, which only gaming types really care about. For the most part, the general non-gaming public probably isn't even aware. (Microsoft advertising dollars have a lot to do with this, I'm sure, when it comes to major networks.)

I guess when you've got a few years invested in your online gamerscore and are a die hard gamer, you're willing to overlook some things in order to satisfy your needs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: