Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
MiroE36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Ok...

First of all your best bet is to buy it from a store so that you get the receipt if anything goes wrong, and Sony will cover any defects. Don't be a goldfish and buy the in-store warranty... that is called wasting your money. If something goes wrong with the system, you go to Sony, not the location you bought it from.

If you are going to buy it second-hand without a receipt, buyer beware. If anything does break, it'll be your responsibility to fix it. You can still send it in to Sony, but they will charge you a fee, depending on what the problem is.

You can try the Walmart return thing if worse comes to worse, but it's not as straight forward as you think. They're wise to shit like this when it comes to video game consoles, and will usually only accept new-in-box systems with no receipt. Even then, they scan the system's serial number through the box at time of purchase... this is a bar code that is on the system itself. I've done a swap with a PS2 in the past, and it was an involved process to cover your ass. Don't bank on this as a reliable way to protect yourself from a defective system. Walmart may take a lot of stuff blindly, but they're not complete idiots.

A word of caution... the PS3 on the whole is a reliable system, but shit does happen. My neighbor bought his on eBay and after 6 months the disk drive won't read disks. he can only play games from his hard drive, and will need to pay Sony if he wants it fully working again. If you want to save money by buying used, there's a risk involved so keep that in mind. If you want to be protected, buy new.
i agree with the smart cookie^^^

MiroE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
InfinitiStyle
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire291 View Post
i worked in electronics at wal-mart......so i dont know about other stores.....but at walmart....you cant cash someone out until you scan the serial number of the PS3. when you return the PS3 the serial is scanned in.....im pretty sure its the manufacturers policy to have the serial number scanned.

and you cant swap the serial number sticker......it like tears the sticker in half, and leaves a fuzzy white layer ofsticker behind

it sucks to try to get aroundthings......it takes time to think of how to do it
ive done it with ps3's and xboxs..

a hairdryer is your best friend
InfinitiStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I was looking atused PS3's. The 50-100$ i was going to save was not worth all the risks involved.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiStyle View Post
ive done it with ps3's and xboxs..

a hairdryer is your best friend
Haha... yeah, that's the best method.

Like I said, I did it with a PS2 once, the large size model.... those stickers were huuuuge, but with a lot of patience (knowing my $250 was on the line), it eventually came off cleanly. You also need to have surgical precision opening the new box, unwrapping the system, and making the swap and putting it all together again so it looked completely untouched. When I returned it, they called over a tech manager to inspect it and after a minute he gave it the okay.

The funniest part of that story was that I borrowed the hair dryer from one of my roommates, who was a total stuck up bitch and one of those "perfect girls" who never did anything wrong. After I did it, and she found out I had used her hair dryer for "illegal activities", she was so pissed she didn't talk to me for a month.... it was the best month ever.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Haha... yeah, that's the best method.

Like I said, I did it with a PS2 once, the large size model.... those stickers were huuuuge, but with a lot of patience (knowing my $250 was on the line), it eventually came off cleanly. You also need to have surgical precision opening the new box, unwrapping the system, and making the swap and putting it all together again so it looked completely untouched. When I returned it, they called over a tech manager to inspect it and after a minute he gave it the okay.

The funniest part of that story was that I borrowed the hair dryer from one of my roommates, who was a total stuck up bitch and one of those "perfect girls" who never did anything wrong. After I did it, and she found out I had used her hair dryer for "illegal activities", she was so pissed she didn't talk to me for a month.... it was the best month ever.
Don't lie. You violated her with her own hairdrier!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
Fel
Not Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Don't lie. You violated her with her own hairdrier!
I... well... it's not so much that I..... it just wouldn't fit right!! I didn't have a choice!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
daytona
6th Gear Member

For give me I just bought the new PS3 slim...I needed a good Blue Ray player and the gaming aspect is a bonus..I rarely play games since I suck but its good to have the option.$299 at BB..free shipping........
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
Romaz
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
For give me I just bought the new PS3 slim...I needed a good Blue Ray player and the gaming aspect is a bonus..I rarely play games since I suck but its good to have the option.$299 at BB..free shipping........
Theres a PS3 slim now
Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
daytona
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaz View Post
Theres a PS3 slim now
duh...yeah its been hyped for the last three months...they dropped the price $100 for a 120GB model...they are going after X Box bigtime since Sony is losing a chit load of money..I got a Sony Bravia LCD so it be a perfect match.My little niece can kick my ass in any video game so really its for the BR player which still is considered one of the best even compared to the $500+ stand alone players.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

Ya man Walmart exchange program, if they won't take it without a receipt, buy another and swap the boxes. Walmart makes sony millions, they can do anything they want.

Problem solved
Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by careless7 View Post
Ya man Walmart exchange program, if they won't take it without a receipt, buy another and swap the boxes. Walmart makes sony millions, they can do anything they want.

Problem solved
i thought this was covered in the beginning of the thread?

its not as simple as swapping boxes. when you purchase a game console, the cashier has to scan the serial number that is on the console, which can be done through a hole in the box. the only way swapping will work is if you swap the serial number sticker on the system. ive never done it, but i imagine that its a time consuming process. also a lot of time people try do swap the serial numbers, and return the system thats defective. i have caught a few people who tried. it can be fairly noticeable.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaRu View Post
I can return it without a receipt?
Buy a new one from walmart. swap serial numbers. return yours with the new ones serials. Say its dead. Done.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
344i
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
i thought this was covered in the beginning of the thread?

its not as simple as swapping boxes. when you purchase a game console, the cashier has to scan the serial number that is on the console, which can be done through a hole in the box. the only way swapping will work is if you swap the serial number sticker on the system. ive never done it, but i imagine that its a time consuming process. also a lot of time people try do swap the serial numbers, and return the system thats defective. i have caught a few people who tried. it can be fairly noticeable.
You gotta know how to remove the labels. I ve done in , youd never even know.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
daytona
6th Gear Member

Got the slim and its a pretty decent unit.Very quiet transport while playing blue ray disc but a bit noisy when using it on games.Wifi works great,the looks is a matte black,very cool to the touch.Overall its a good purchase...now waiting for the bootlegged games.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
...now waiting for the bootlegged games.
LOL... this november will be 3 years that the PS3 has been out, and there's still no way to play burned games. So... don't hold your breath.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: