Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

Playstation 3 problems?

Ok, so I found a ps3 that some guy is selling brand new for a decent price. Im gonna test if before I buy it, but it doesn't come with a receipt and I heard that if you have a problem with your system, sony will not fix it without a receipt even if its still under warranty. Does anyone know anything about this?
\__l_l-[-------------]-l_l__/
\____________________/
AmaRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Xray
4th Gear Member

your receipt is your proof of purchase and tells them when your warranty was activated. so without a receipt you can't convince them that the ps3 is still under the warranty.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

So lets say I buy this thing and it breaks in 2 weeks. Im screwed? Is there any way around it?
\____________________/
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaRu View Post
So lets say I buy this thing and it breaks in 2 weeks. Im screwed? Is there any way around it?
Go to Walmart and exchange it. Say you lost ur receipt.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

I can return it without a receipt?
\____________________/
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaRu View Post
I can return it without a receipt?
At Walmart you can return somthing without a recipt up to 3 times.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
98Dinan3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 98Dinan3
Even if there was something wrong with it, that didn't show up until later, Sony will repair/replace them for a fairly nominal fee. I think it is around $110 including the shipping.... You just call Sony customer service, and they send you out a box to pack up the PS3, and send it in to them....
Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
At Walmart you can return somthing without a recipt up to 3 times.
i used to work for wal-mart....recently they changed their privacy policy. they can not ask for ID, credit card number, and cant return money to your credit card. basically they can not take any personal information.

you can return something with out a receipt as many times as you like.....except they are not supposed to allow it. if you can get a manager to okay the exchange with out receipt.....a lot of managers will not allow no receipt exchange....you have to say that there is something wrong with the system, cuz if the box is open your not allowed to return, but again it depends on the manager.....

i would say just buy the PS3 from a store. sony will not take the PS3 in under warranty with out orig receipt....

which ever way you want to do it you may run into problems......i suggest buy one new from a store, cuz you never know if something will go wrong, and you will need the receipt

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

go to best buy, or futureshop and buy it. and pay for the 3 year warranty.

= peace of mind
Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
coolhand
Banned

You could always buy one and ruturn the broken one in its place.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
You could always buy one and ruturn the broken one in its place.
i worked in electronics at wal-mart......so i dont know about other stores.....but at walmart....you cant cash someone out until you scan the serial number of the PS3. when you return the PS3 the serial is scanned in.....im pretty sure its the manufacturers policy to have the serial number scanned.

and you cant swap the serial number sticker......it like tears the sticker in half, and leaves a fuzzy white layer ofsticker behind

it sucks to try to get aroundthings......it takes time to think of how to do it

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

When I had my laptop repaired udner warranty they didn't ask for the receipt, just serial number and that's how they know when the warranty was activated. They sent me shipping box, repaired it, and sent it back..all without receipt (it was HP).
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
Romaz
5th Gear Member

Why would you even worry about the PS3 breaking? It doesn't happen very often and if it does, it usually a minor thing.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
AmaRu
6th Gear Member

I worry about it. I'm a student. If something were to happen for any reason it wouldn't be at the top of my list for things to spend money on. I'm careful with what I buy. Thanks everyone for your input.
\____________________/
Old 01-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Fel
Not Banned

Ok...

First of all your best bet is to buy it from a store so that you get the receipt if anything goes wrong, and Sony will cover any defects. Don't be a goldfish and buy the in-store warranty... that is called wasting your money. If something goes wrong with the system, you go to Sony, not the location you bought it from.

If you are going to buy it second-hand without a receipt, buyer beware. If anything does break, it'll be your responsibility to fix it. You can still send it in to Sony, but they will charge you a fee, depending on what the problem is.

You can try the Walmart return thing if worse comes to worse, but it's not as straight forward as you think. They're wise to shit like this when it comes to video game consoles, and will usually only accept new-in-box systems with no receipt. Even then, they scan the system's serial number through the box at time of purchase... this is a bar code that is on the system itself. I've done a swap with a PS2 in the past, and it was an involved process to cover your ass. Don't bank on this as a reliable way to protect yourself from a defective system. Walmart may take a lot of stuff blindly, but they're not complete idiots.

A word of caution... the PS3 on the whole is a reliable system, but shit does happen. My neighbor bought his on eBay and after 6 months the disk drive won't read disks. he can only play games from his hard drive, and will need to pay Sony if he wants it fully working again. If you want to save money by buying used, there's a risk involved so keep that in mind. If you want to be protected, buy new.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: