Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
DUBL02
1st Gear Newbie

Daily driver insurance

Thinking about buying an '02. Just wondering if anyone uses their car as a daily driver during the summer. That is what i'm planning to do. If so, can you recommend any companies. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
DUBL02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Smitty
4th Gear Member

I'm with TD Meloche Monnex and the car is insured as a daily driver. You simply need to obtain a proper classic car appraisal and fight your way through the bureaucracy to convince them that your car is in-fact a BMW 2002, not a 2002 BMW.

PM me if you'd like the contact of a great appraiser.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Many of the direct writers (bank insurance companies, belair, etc) have agents who never deal with this kind of stuff and it's not in their employee hand book (which is often the extent of their insurance knowledge). So Smitty is right, you have to battle to get them to understand what you are trying to do.

It is often a lot less hassle to contact an insurance broker. They have multiple insurance markets and can give you several quotes with different companies who have the capacity to insure classic cars or a procedure in place to determine how to do it.

In either instance (direct writer or broker) you most likely need an appraisal if you are concerned with collision and comprehensive coverage and replacement value. Some companies I deal with don't need the appraisal if you are only looking for liability coverage as long as the car is mechanically fit and in good condition. (one in particular will accept a current photo and a safety certificate for older vehicles.)

BTW There are appraisers who will come to your house or office.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
///Maluco
5erholic

If you've done any work that would increase the value of your '02, you'll need an appraisal.
You can opt for a '19' policy or a '19A' policy.
The difference between the two is that the '19A' policy is an agreed upon value policy based on the appraisal you submit.
The '19' policy is an appraisal that you submit that the company uses to establish the current value and it will start to depreciate every year...same as other vehicles on the road.

Youíll need to look into the insurance details though. Some will only insure for pleasure/show use only and you canít DD the vehicle. And that includes you not being able to take it to the shopping center either. Some will also restrict the amount of mileage you do unless you notify them (e.g. driving out of the country to attend a car show).

If you need an appraiser, Iíve used Bramhall Classic Auto for my E12 appraisals and Iíve been pleased with the service.
He comes to the location of your vehicle and takes all necessary pictures/information.

Maurice Bramhall at 416-822-0096 or Toll-Free 1-866-532-3630 or Email: maurice@bramclassauto.com

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: